Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Trip to GABP (I need some help)

Re: My Trip to GABP (I need some help)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Why do you have an expired license?
    I was in Germany when it expired, and the only days I can get to the BMV during the daytime are Sundays on Mondays. I'll have to take a day off work to take the driving test again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I was in Germany when it expired, and the only days I can get to the BMV during the daytime are Sundays on Mondays. I'll have to take a day off work to take the driving test again.
    If it hasn't been expired for long, you may not have to take the test. Mine expired once in February while I was living in Austria and I didn't get back until June. They renewed it, saying I had something like 6 mos. before I had to retake the driving test.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Not to get off topic but about 3 years ago we were with friends right outside the main gate taking pictures in front of GABP. A cop confronted us and in a drill sargeant manner began to berate the woman who was with us because she had a plastic cup in her hand with "Budweiser" on it. We didn't realize there was a "open container" law in Cincinnati and instead of asking us to throw it away he chewed our butts and threatened to take us to jail and also told us next time to learn the laws of Cincinnati before we came back.

...and people wonder why attendance is so down.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If it hasn't been expired for long, you may not have to take the test. Mine expired once in February while I was living in Austria and I didn't get back until June. They renewed it, saying I had something like 6 mos. before I had to retake the driving test.
    It's been expired since February, 2008, so I have to retake both portions of the driving test. After the writing test, I'll get a temp license.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I've never heard of a vertical license.
    I have one. Heck, I just got my first license last week.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Your expired drivers license has to do with you driving not drinking. I don't get it. Your 25. That is all that should matter. It's a picture ID with your birthdate on it. If it's a rule in GABP, it's a stupid rule. Like searching a 85 year old lady at an airport. No common sense!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Your expired drivers license has to do with you driving not drinking. I don't get it. Your 25. That is all that should matter. It's a picture ID with your birthdate on it. If it's a rule in GABP, it's a stupid rule. Like searching a 85 year old lady at an airport. No common sense!
    An expired license isn't valid for anything. I was once not allowed on a flight because my license was expired.

I think the idea is that once licenses are expired, they're technically property of the state. Also in the case of young people, often expired licenses are sold for fake IDs (which, again, are not technically valid, but bars typically look at DOB only).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Not to get off topic but about 3 years ago we were with friends right outside the main gate taking pictures in front of GABP. A cop confronted us and in a drill sargeant manner began to berate the woman who was with us because she had a plastic cup in her hand with "Budweiser" on it.

So there was "Budweiser" on it but what was in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So there was "Budweiser" on it but what was in it?
    A mixed drink.

The first thing the cop asked in a drill sargeant tone was "Whats in the cup?" My friends wife told him it was a drink. He asked what kind of drink and out of shock and confusement and not sure how to answer it she just said ..."a drink". I guess she was confused and didn't know he wanted a specific drink like Rum and Coke etc.... So the cop with his finger pointing and shouting told her if she didnt tell him exactly what was in the drink he was going to call a lab down to where we were at and test the drink for alcohol After she told him it had alcohol in it he told her to pour it out or he was going to arrest us all. We apologized and told him we were from Indiana and we do not have a open container law there. He proceeded to bark at us and tell us "you better learn the laws of Cincinnati next time or don't come back"

I am very much a conservative law and order kind of guy but this cop handled the situation wrong and pretty much ruined the evening for us. We laugh about it now but its a good example of creating an atmosphere where people don't wanna visit your city or GABP.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Drinking on the street in Ohio is not a good idea. I don't blame the cop for upholding the law at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
    Drinking on the street in Ohio is not a good idea. I don't blame the cop for upholding the law at all.
    I have no problem with a cop upholding the law.

However a cop basically screaming at and pointing his finger in the face of a 40 year old woman for doing nothing but having a drink in her hand is a little overboard.

BTW are you not allowed to have a beer in your hand when tailgating at Bengals games either?? What exactly is the law?
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.

BTW, I went to the Reds website to see what their alcohol policy is. Here's what they write:

You must be 21 to purchase all alcohol products. Sportservice ID's everyone 30 years and younger. Sales are limited to two alcoholic beverages per person with valid ID. No alcohol sales after the end of the eighth inning or 3 hours after scheduled start of game. All alcohol must remain in the ballpark: "It's the Law." Sportservice reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

Vendors/Hawkers
    You must be 21 to purchase all alcohol products. Sportservice IDs everyone 30 years and younger. Sales are limited to one alcoholic beverage per person with valid ID. No alcohol sales after the end of the eighth inning or 3 hours after scheduled start of game. All alcohol must remain in the ballpark: "It's the Law." Sportservice reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
    While they clearly state they can refuse service to anyone, they certainly don't define what constitutes a "valid ID". Certainly the OP met the criteria, being of legal and having a Valid ID. That said, as everyone has already said, they never should have treated you as if you were breaking the law and inferring they might throw you out.

I can't find what Ohio's open container law is. It doesn't look like Cincinnati has a specific one. They probably just piggyback off the law in the Ohio Revised Code. Still no excuse for the cop to be so rude.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

By far the worst experience I've had at a Reds game, I've yet to hear anything back from the Reds. At this time I have no plans of returning to the park in the near future. I spend enough money on baseball as it is through mlb tv, apparel, baseball cards, etc I'm not going to drive 4 1/2 hours and be treated like a criminal. Appears if the higher ups at the Reds have the same feeling about it as the manager(s), they just don't care.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I have no problem with a cop upholding the law.

However a cop basically screaming at and pointing his finger in the face of a 40 year old woman for doing nothing but having a drink in her hand is a little overboard.

BTW are you not allowed to have a beer in your hand when tailgating at Bengals games either?? What exactly is the law?
    You can have all the booze you want in the tailgating lots at the Bengals games. It always amazed me, there are usually tons of cops, and ton's of drunks, but I've yet to see a single one harassed (or pulled over for DUI) while at a Bengals game. It's gotten so bad down there, that I probably won't be going back anytime soon. For the afternoon games, the idiots down there are loaded before 10am. It's just not worth it to me.

http://law.justia.com/ohio/codes/orc...0162-e50f.html
    (B) No person shall have in the person's possession an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor in any of the following circumstances:
    (1) In a state liquor store;
    (2) Except as provided in division (C) of this section, on the premises of the holder of any permit issued by the division of liquor control;
    (3) In any other public place;
    (4) Except as provided in division (D) or (E) of this section, while operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking;
    (5) Except as provided in division (D) or (E) of this section, while being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking.

The D and E provisions are limousine related (D) and buying the bottle of wine you start at a restaurant and taking it home with you (resealed).

Turn Off Ads?