Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft grades

Draft grades

I need your grade on each pick

Smith = A+ (Thornton says Levi is back so thats good enough for me, Smith fills the RT spot)

Rey Rey = A+ (Bengals play catburgler on this pick)

MJohnson = A (Bengals play Texas hold on and didnt reach, last year they wouldve selected him in the 1st round)

CCoffman = B (Foot injury worries me a little)

Luigs = C (last big name center on the board, has some weaknesses, least they didnt reach for another MAC center)

Huber = B+ (love this pick, finally a legit punter)

Trent = C (my guess is Leon Hall had something to do with this)

BScott = F (they shouldve drafted Osama BinLaden)

Vakapuna = B (love the Somoans, I would reach for all Samoans)

McDonald = C (had a farm...)

FBrown = C (Mikey up from his nap, demands a WR)

overall I give it a solid B+

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft grades

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Smith = A+ (Thornton says Levi is back so thats good enough for me, Smith fills the RT spot)
    Every report I've read has the Bengals looking for next to nothing in a trade for Jones and other teams (namely the Bills) waiting for them to release him.

Not according to Thornton, he said Levi is the best LT on their team and thats why they were all over Smith, he was highest on their board. He said he felt the problem with Chad was the QB couldnt get him the ball, he thinks theyll be fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Not according to Thornton, he said Levi is the best LT on their team and thats why they were all over Smith, he was highest on their board. He said he felt the problem with Chad was the QB couldnt get him the ball, he thinks theyll be fine now.
    I read that, too, but I think Clayton, Lapham and others who have contacts in other front offices that say the Bengals were practically trying to give him away prior to the draft are more credible than someone who's no longer on the team. Personally, I'm with you - I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him (unless his knees suggest he's done) but nearly all indications are that's what they plan to do.

Its not very often you get the best player at his position in a draft, let alone twice. Id give the draft a B+ but it has the potential to be one of their greatest ever.

Can someone with Insider post Kiper and McShay's review of the Bengals draft?
    Go BLUE!!!

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I read that, too, but I think Clayton, Lapham and others who have contacts in other front offices that say the Bengals were practically trying to give him away prior to the draft are more credible than someone who's no longer on the team. Personally, I'm with you - I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him (unless his knees suggest he's done) but nearly all indications are that's what they plan to do.
    The other thing to keep in mind is, they could still release Levi. We still have Anthony Collins waiting in the wings if Levi doesn't hold up.

I still say Andre Smith was more about the need for a RT. We needed somebody to replace Willie Anderson and now we have that. Monroe would have been a safer pick, but would have made more sense as a LT.

I'm going with a solid A. Anything from the fifth round on, you more or less have to trust the scouts. I would have went A+ if we would have found a way to have traded up and gotten Caldwell or Wood instead of Luigs.

I realize these comparisons are a bit extreme, but IF Marvin Lewis can coach these guys up, we could come out of this draft with players similar to Willie Anderson, Ray Lewis, and Jason Taylor. Of course, it could go the other way as well, and that would not surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is, they could still release Levi. We still have Anthony Collins waiting in the wings if Levi doesn't hold up.
    Since there were no takers for him (given that teams are waiting for them to release him rather than even giving up a late pick), that seems like what's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

I still say Andre Smith was more about the need for a RT. We needed somebody to replace Willie Anderson and now we have that. Monroe would have been a safer pick, but would have made more sense as a LT.

I'm going with a solid A. Anything from the fifth round on, you more or less have to trust the scouts. I would have went A+ if we would have found a way to have traded up and gotten Caldwell or Wood instead of Luigs.

I realize these comparisons are a bit extreme, but IF Marvin Lewis can coach these guys up, we could come out of this draft with players similar to Willie Anderson, Ray Lewis, and Jason Taylor. Of course, it could go the other way as well, and that would not surprise me.
    What's the consensus on Collins? I thought he played well enough last year to be the starter at LT going into training camp, but am I missing something?

Since there were no takers for him (given that teams are waiting for them to release him rather than even giving up a late pick), that seems like what's going to happen.
    If they release him then he's not healthy

Marvin said they're keeping Levi.

TIFWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they release him then he's not healthy
    Probably true, but why bother trying to trade him if he's injured knowing that he won't pass a physical?

Smith = A- When this guy had his pads one he was the #1 tackle in college football.

Rey Rey = A+ Loved him in college. He adds swagger to the defense. He hits, runs down hill, and is the first LB in a long time that adds fear to the D.

MJohnson = A 3rd down pass rusher with a Pro Bowl type ceiling. If he adds consistency look out.

CCoffman = B Receiving TE and not much of a blocker. Don't have much of an issue with this pick. Before the foot injury he was a higher prospect.

Luigs = B+ This was probably the C the Bengals were targeting. I think that is why Johnson and Coffman were taken in Round 3 because they thought they could get their man in RD 4.

Huber = B Larson is the worst in the league. Mike Brown gets to see more jerseys by drafting a local guy.

Trent = D My least favorite pick. Mickens was on the board at this time. Trent has speed, but wasn't a very good cover corner in college.

BScott = C+ Risky pick but when you have 11 picks you have that opportunity. If he gets his attitude together he could become a steal.

Vakapuna = B Apparently the Bengals targeted him, waited, and drafted him. IMO Jermi Johnson gets cut and this guy is your starting FB.

McDonald C
    F Brown C The Bengals have been good at finding hidden talent late in the draft. Ndukue, Kilmer, Lynch, TJ, all played roles as 7th round picks. These guys will make the team based on ST or play on the practice squad all year long.

overall I give it a solid A

The draft I have liked the most since the Carson Palmer draft. Drafted a ton of talent and Rey Rey is the Bengal I am the most excited about. They didn't reach, but it paid off. Carson is happy, Mike Zimmer is happy, Bengal Nation is happy, when was the last time you could say that?

Probably true, but why bother trying to trade him if he's injured knowing that he won't pass a physical?
    All physicals are not created equal. Willie Anderson was supposedly hurt but the Ravens decided to take their chances. Marvin wants guys who can practice and play on Sundays. Too often in recent years Levi has been on the InjuryReport as not having practiced

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Turn Off Ads?