Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2009 Miscellaneous Reds updates

May 2009 Miscellaneous Reds updates

I sent Boss a PM and asked him if it was OK if I started a thread similar to the one we had in spring training where we posted blog updates from Fay and others. This thread can be used to post Reds or baseball related material that doesn't deserve a thread of its own.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miscellaneous Reds updates

Post-game thoughts
    Posted by JohnFay at 4/27/2009 10:20 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Coco Cordero felt bad for his buddy, Johnny Cueto, in the wake 4-1 loss to the Astros. Cordero gave up the decisive runs.

“I’m not happy because of the way Johnny Cueto pitched,” Cordero said. “He pitched great. He gave the team a chance to win.”

Cordero gave up back-to-back hits on 0-2 pitches. That led directly to the three runs.

“I’ve got to make better decisions, better pitches,” Cordero said. “It happens but I’m a little bit upset.”

Cueto pitched seven innings of one-run ball. He allowed seven hits, a walk and struck out five. On most nights, with most teams, that's enough to earn a win. But the Reds continue to struggle offensively.

I know Walk Jocketty talked about letting guys settle in and being patient. But I think you'll see a different lineup at the very least tomorrow. Ramon Hernandez is hitting .333 over his last 11 games. He's a .285 lifetime hitter with runners in scoring position. Why not try him in Edwin Encarnacion's sixth spot or Brandon Phillips' fourth spot?

Encarnacion is 1-for-his-last-28 and hittng .127 overall.

“It’s not only Edwin,” Dusty Baker said. “There’s a couple of guys we’ve got to get going.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Haunted by walks

If Cordero hadn't done what he did, the game would have gone extra innings and Harang would have pitched a couple.

I'm not worried about Edwin or Phillips, they will both do what they do.

We have to solve the LF problem, though.

Dickerson still hazy after collision
    Monday 04-27-2009 10:40pm ET0Comments

Reds left fielder Chris Dickerson passed all the tests given to him by Reds trainers on Monday, but after the game, he was still a bit woozy from his fourth-inning collision with Houston shortstop Miguel Tejada in the Reds' 4-1 loss.

"I'm doing all right, my vision's coming back a little bit, at this point I feel real drowsy, I just want to go to sleep," Dickerson said after the game. "I'm getting my vision back, it's not as hard to focus, which is a good sign. I had to answer some simple questions, like what happened yesterday and it almost took me a while to answer, but I got it. I've got to rest tonight and take my impact test and psychological evaluation."

After a single in the fourth to end an 0-for-10 streak and put him back above the Mendoza Line at .205, Joey Votto hit a grounder to Astros first baseman Lance Berkman, who made a perfect throw to Tejada. With Dickerson baring down on him, Tejada dropped the ball, Dickerson slid into him and after Dickerson's shoulder hit Tejada's face, the two bumped heads.

Both training staffs and managers came out to evaluate both players after the play, and both stayed in the game.

"I thought I was OK standing at second, just trying to focus on small things and the backstop, it was a little tough, but I thought it was going to go away but I didn't think it'd escalate to the degree that it did when I got back to the outfiel," Dickerson said.

Dickerson went out for the top of the fifth, but said he had trouble focusing on anything.

"It's like going from HD to regular television, nothing is sharp," Dickerson said. "I was out there and couldn't see the hitter's face. The ball was splitting and almost coming apart. I was looking into the stands and everyone was meshing together, I knew that was definitely going in the wrong direction."

Reds manager Dusty Baker said he was told Dickerson didn't suffer a concussion, but concussion-like symptoms. He will be re-evaluated on Tuesday.

Dickerson said he's suffered concussions before. He played high school football and suffered his first when he was in fifth grade when he hit his head on a (lowered) basketball backboard.

Dickerson said he answered the questions he was asked correctly -- "so I didn't have to take a field trip to the CAT scan room," he said.

Still, Dickerson had some trouble putting words together -- although he still was able to give some good quotes.

"It's very similar to where the vision becomes worse," Dickerson said. "I've had a couple (of concussions) where the red spots come up, but this one felt like there was an eyelash in my eye -- when you think something's in there because you can't focus. I was out there trying to get it out of my eye like there was dirt in my eye and that's when I realized it was ridiculous, there's something wrong here."

In addition to his slump-breaking hit, Dickerson also made two nice plays in the field -- throwing out Tejada trying to stretch a single into a double to lead off the second and, cutting off a ball into the gap then flashing his arm on another Tejada single in the fourth, keeping the Astros shortstop to a single.

Laynce Nix entered the game for Dickerson in the sixth and that inning doubled and scored the team's only run.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

I said this in the game thread, but I really think this is the 'excuse' the Reds need to bring up Pete Rosales and DL CD....

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I sent Boss a PM and asked him if it was OK if I started a thread similar to the one we had in spring training where we posted blog updates from Fay and others. This thread can be used to post Reds or baseball related material that doesn't deserve a thread of its own.
    And OBM, thanks for this thread...it's not practical for a lot of us to go to each blog/news source to read all the writeups daily etc...so I, for one, GREATLY appreciate you doing this. Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I said this in the game thread, but I really think this is the 'excuse' the Reds need to bring up Pete Rosales and DL CD....
    possibly. concussions are tricky things. typical post concussion symptoms are fatigue, headaches, dizziness. best thing to do is rest rest rest at home for 2-3 days and see how you feel. Dickerson could be out of action for a few games or a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    And OBM, thanks for this thread...it's not practical for a lot of us to go to each blog/news source to read all the writeups daily etc...so I, for one, GREATLY appreciate you doing this. Thanks a bunch!
    No problem. I often find myself coming across some info that's not worthy of its own thread so I usually either don't post it, or I stash it away in some other thread. This thread should help clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    possibly. concussions are tricky things. typical post concussion symptoms are fatigue, headaches, dizziness. best thing to do is rest rest rest at home for 2-3 days and see how you feel. Dickerson could be out of action for a few games or a couple of weeks.
    Both Bankston and Rosales are killing it down there (4th and 1st in the entire IL in OPS btw), so I think there has to come a point where they both get called up. CD makes room for one...and I wonder if his hitting woes continue if they ship EdE down to Louisville for a few weeks as well?

BTW, anyone interested in starting the Reds record/golf scorecard?

Here's the one from two years ago.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...highlight=golf

That's always one of my favorite threads.

The Reds went 5-4 on the first hole and 5-4 on the second hole. That puts them on a 90-72 pace.

Fantastic, OBM. I used to have Fay and Rosecran's blogs bookmarked, but inthe sorrow that was last season and a new computer, I didn't put them on the new one. Now I don't have to. Thanks.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The tarp is on the field at GABP and it's been raining most of the day in the area. Showers and thunderstorms are in the evening forecast. If there is a window in the forecast to play, I'm sure the Reds decision makers will wait for it.

After getting clocked in the head last night during the Tejada collision, Chris Dickerson isn't starting today. But that likely has as much to do with Astros using a lefty starting pitcher in Wandy Rodriguez. Dickerson was scheduled for more tests today after feeling woozy last night. Struggling Edwin Encarnacion was dropped from sixth to seventh. Encarnacion is on a 0-for-12 skid and is 1-for-his-last-28.

More details later when I have it.

After the 7-3 road trip, the Reds really need these last two games vs. the Astros so they can finish 3-3 on the homestand.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

The tarp is on the field at GABP and it's been raining most of the day in the area. Showers and thunderstorms are in the evening forecast. If there is a window in the forecast to play, I'm sure the Reds decision makers will wait for it.

After getting clocked in the head last night during the Tejada collision, Chris Dickerson isn't starting today. But that likely has as much to do with Astros using a lefty starting pitcher in Wandy Rodriguez. Dickerson was scheduled for more tests today after feeling woozy last night. Struggling Edwin Encarnacion was dropped from sixth to seventh. Encarnacion is on a 0-for-12 skid and is 1-for-his-last-28.

More details later when I have it.

After the 7-3 road trip, the Reds really need these last two games vs. the Astros so they can finish 3-3 on the homestand.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/
    That oughta do it

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    That oughta do it
    Yea,I was hoping they would sit him out these next two against the Astros. Then put him back in for a few games and see how it goes. If he still didn't hit after a few games make the move for Rosales.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?