Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I am glad about for one thing

I am glad about for one thing

That the Reds didn't deal for the Coors field Mirage known as Holliday(although his splits showed that he was likely to be very average if he didn't get 81 games a year at Coors) ... the Reds only got stuck with a guy that couldn't hit even in Colorado.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I am glad about for one thing

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    That the Reds didn't deal for the Coors field Mirage known as Holliday(although his splits showed that he was likely to be very average if he didn't get 81 games a year at Coors) ... the Reds only got stuck with a guy that couldn't hit even in Colorado.
    I'd still take Holliday right now if he could be had on the cheap. I'd offer Stubbs and any pitcher in the minors. With Matt Holliday in LF, this team is a playoff team IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd still take Holliday right now if he could be had on the cheap. I'd offer Stubbs and any pitcher in the minors. With Matt Holliday in LF, this team is a playoff team IMO.
    I guess you are in the Peter Gammons camp

Holliday had an OPS 250 points higher in Coors than any other park in the majors but I don't think that is the problem
    Good thought Peter ... just meaningless numbers.

GM axioms that should work most of the time is "do not pay for Coors field numbers or Pro Players and Petco Park ERAs."

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I'd take a chance on Holiday if Oakland were to tire of him. Great American Ball Park could, in some ways, remind Holliday of Coors, easy HR's and prosper here. I would think Oakland would want more than Stubbs and any one Reds minor league pitcher for him. Possibly 3 minor leaguers would do it. Let's say 2 AAA players and a double A might work. Or would they take Encarnacion in lieu of the double A player?

The Reds seemingly need to get a marquee player that's worth his salt and keep the Reds in contention. Otherwise with this economy it's poor attendance at Great American in 2009 I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 05-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Senor Votto

Great American Ball Park is a hitter's park too. It's not like Coors is the only park that helps hitters

Just Say No to Matt Holliday!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think Josh Willingham would be just as good of a fit for the Reds as Matt Holliday...

Since the humidor came into play Coors isn't even close to what it used to be like during the days of Bichette, Walker, and Castilla.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    GM axioms that should work most of the time is "do not pay for Coors field numbers or Pro Players and Petco Park ERAs."
    Should GABP numbers (particularly HR's) be on this list. How much do we overvalue some GABP hitters? (Thereby failing to understand their real value.)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think Josh Willingham would be just as good of a fit for the Reds as Matt Holliday...
    Ya know I would take a flier on him to as price tag is far more reasonable, that and I am tired of the trade Stubbs babble that infests Redszone.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm in the camp of people who think Holliday will work this out and be on a .900 OPS pace from May through the end of the season. What the Reds should give up for him is a separate question. I'm not a Stubbs believer, so if he's he cornerstone of a deal to get him, I'd say absolutely. I can't imagine that there aren't better offers out there for the A's.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?