Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will Dusty's little ball aproach work in Cincinnati

Will Dusty's little ball aproach work in Cincinnati

Hang with me guys I know I an't a good topic starter like some of you pros but I had to write this.

As we all know Dusty has now changed the Cincinnati Reds from being a power hitting team to now a team that has to play little ball day in and day out.Our offense has started off horrible this year and to be honest I don't see it getting any better any time soon.We only have two guys that are hitting the ball pretty good and thats Votto and Bruce.Every body else are having major problems including EE and Phillips.I for one miss us scoring seven runs every other game like we used to with our homerun sluggers but we can't do that now b/c we don't really have a power hitting lineup and b/c of that we are lucky to score maybe three runs a game instead of seaven like we used to.

It really sucks b/c we have a good pitching staff that are pitching really well and the offense is letting them down on a constant basis.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-29-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Will Dusty's little ball aproach work in Cincinnati

Runs are scored by getting on base and advancing around the bases. Whether you walk and trot or slap and steal, you've got to do both -- right now we're not doing either. And the thing is, we can't blame it all on Dunn. Votto has done a pretty nice impression there. This team isn't scoring because it's getting sub-replacement production from more positions than not.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't care if they hit homers, hit a bunch of singles & bunts or get very proficient at being hit by pitches. Just get on base, and continue to advance until you cross home plate.

That, right now, the Reds are not doing. And are not likely to do with any frequency this year.

But that was the design of the team, so I'm not sure why it's a shock.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Thru 20 games last year, the Reds were 8-12 and 5.5 games out of first place with a pythag record that suggested they should've won 9 games.

Thru 20 this year, the Reds are 10-10 and are 3.5 games back but have outplayed their pythag by two wins.

The winds of change?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sorry to post this but it's what I was thinking when I got up this morning. It comments implicitly on "little ball." "What could have been": Bruce RF, Hamilton CF, Dunn LF, Votto 1B--and any combination of league average righthanders at the other four spots. Rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Cueto, Bailey.

I don't think any change in approach is due mainly to Dusty. Simply due to the fact that they have lesser offensive players. The fact that this team is struggling to score(and it will likely continue) is no surprise.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Sorry to post this but it's what I was thinking when I got up this morning. It comments implicitly on "little ball." "What could have been": Bruce RF, Hamilton CF, Dunn LF, Votto 1B--and any combination of league average righthanders at the other four spots. Rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Cueto, Bailey.
    Apparently you have to split the lefties though. Dusty wouldn't know what to do with his four best hitters being lefties. But it would be an awesome lineup indeed.
    Most Vottomatic Player

In the games I've seen, I haven't seen a lot of "little ball". Of course they haven't got on base a lot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?