Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have right now, Bailey or Hughes?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey

37 44.58%
  • Hughes

46 55.42%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Re: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    kind of my point. if "throwing at your best" is the criteria, Bailey is screwed in that competition.
    Well if we are doing this game then Don Larsen is better than Cueto also.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Better body obviously, but arm? Just based on what I've seen from Bailey at the major league level, Cueto seems to consistently throw harder and with more movement.
    I will give you that, but like you said, thats the major league level. I have seen Bailey over the past few years in AAA with stuff that on that day, he would dominate major leaguers with.

As for the more movement thing, its all a matter of how you look at it. Bailey gets a lot more sink on his FB, but Cueto gets a bit more movement side to side. They are two different types of pitches. And really, they throw about as hard as each other.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As for the more movement thing, its all a matter of how you look at it. Bailey gets a lot more sink on his FB, but Cueto gets a bit more movement side to side. They are two different types of pitches. And really, they throw about as hard as each other.
    That's the first time I've seen you post that regarding how hard they throw. Probably because Cueto is maturing as a pitcher, and a person, while Bailey hasn't.

And i'm not talking personality.

Homer's biggest problem has almost nothing to do with himself. He's been completely mismanaged his entire professional career. He had no business making that spot start. If the idea was to give him a taste to spur him, well, that was pretty dumb. He's had plenty of tastes, he needs development.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's the first time I've seen you post that regarding how hard they throw. Probably because Cueto is maturing as a pitcher, and a person, while Bailey hasn't.

And i'm not talking personality.

Homer's biggest problem has almost nothing to do with himself. He's been completely mismanaged his entire professional career. He had no business making that spot start. If the idea was to give him a taste to spur him, well, that was pretty dumb. He's had plenty of tastes, he needs development.
    I do agree that the Reds haven't developed him properly. It might end up that when he "gets it," it won't be with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Better body obviously, but arm? Just based on what I've seen from Bailey at the major league level, Cueto seems to consistently throw harder and with more movement.
    I'll even go beyond arm, I'm not sure Bailey has the better body.

What's that based on? Bailey's taller? My take on that is "so what?" Does he have more fast twitch muscle fiber? I sincerely doubt it. Does he have stronger legs? No, in fact that's one of Bailey's main problems and Cueto's main strengths. Does he have better core strength or better lung capacity?

Extra leverage never hurts, but, per what you said in terms of arms, Cueto's body has allowed him to the throw quality, consistent major league pitches at a young age. Bailey's body hasn't been able to do that. Cueto might just be a more athletic, stronger guy. I'll take that over height.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?