Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have right now, Bailey or Hughes?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey

37 44.58%
  • Hughes

46 55.42%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Re: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Where's the "None of the above" selection?

I wouldn't stick either one on a list of top 25-and-under pitchers.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hughes. Gonna be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Hughes. Gonna be a good one.
    Do you think he's going to stay healthy for extended periods of time?

He's not as bad as Adam Miller, but has he ever had a season where he didn't need to shut it down for at least a few starts?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Do you think he's going to stay healthy for extended periods of time?

He's not as bad as Adam Miller, but has he ever had a season where he didn't need to shut it down for at least a few starts?
    I don't think he's a chronic case, like Miller. His first injury was a hamstring.

Good thing they didn't give him up for Santana...
    Go BLUE!!!

Based on their minor league stats, Hughes is far ahead at the moment. The most impressive stat to me is his minor league WHIP of .92. Barring injuries and a possible failure to adapt to the wind tunnel that is the new Yankee Stadium, he is on his way to becoming a top pitcher.

If, however, Homer puts together a string of overpowering games like his last one, I could change my mind.

What I wonder is if Hughes' next start at the show is dominant at the show and Bailey has another dud, would that change the results of this poll? I really think it would (if the poll were created then).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    What I wonder is if Hughes' next start at the show is dominant at the show and Bailey has another dud, would that change the results of this poll? I really think it would (if the poll were created then).
    People shouldn't let things like that determine their opinion on this matter. Certainly they probably will, but they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Bailey. We have him and we don't have to try and trade for him. The Yankees wouldn't give up Hughes for Bailey (I don't think they would trade Hughes at all). In a dream world, I think it's a toss up; they have similar unrealized potential.
    This was my thought exactly, although I suspect that's not meant to be part of the equation. But as you note, it's part of the reality and it sways me. Also, while some haven't given this much credence this season, I think there has been a sea change in Bailey's maturity during the off-season. I think that will move his progress in the direction we've all been hoping for.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can pick Cueto, but your vote won't count lol. I will still go out on a limb and take Baileys career over that of Cueto.
    Your evaluations are respected. I desire to know why you think so. The one thing that worries me about Cueto is his temperment. Is he prone to be a lesser Zambrano? Oh what he could be, but for that temper..........

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Your evaluations are respected. I desire to know why you think so. The one thing that worries me about Cueto is his temperment. Is he prone to be a lesser Zambrano? Oh what he could be, but for that temper..........
    Bailey has stuff that can be just as good if not better than Cueto. He isn't as consistent as Cueto is right now, which is why Cueto is better currently. However Cueto is short and works up in the zone. That leads to lots of fly balls and a higher number of HR's. Bailey is taller and works lower in the zone, leading to more grounders and fewer HR's. I just think Bailey will have a better peak and have more staying power after the age of 28.

As far as Cueto and Zambrano, I don't see the similarities. Cueto gets mad at himself, but Zambrano gets mad at everyone including himself. Huge difference there.

On the brink of disaster

Bailey has stuff that can be just as good if not better than Cueto. He isn't as consistent as Cueto is right now, which is why Cueto is better currently. However Cueto is short and works up in the zone. That leads to lots of fly balls and a higher number of HR's. Bailey is taller and works lower in the zone, leading to more grounders and fewer HR's. I just think Bailey will have a better peak and have more staying power after the age of 28.

As far as Cueto and Zambrano, I don't see the similarities. Cueto gets mad at himself, but Zambrano gets mad at everyone including himself. Huge difference there.
    It's kind of funny that someone compares Johnny to Carlos when I actually believe there are more similarities between Homer and Carlos. Both have the stuff to be successful, but the thing that makes them enigmas is what lies between the ears. I agree that Zambrano isn't a great comparison to Cueto, but I think he's oddly similar to Homer. Yeah, homer doesn't throw tantrums, but maturity even from game to game can be the difference between a shutout and a short outing. You just don't know what they are going to bring to the mound each day.

That said, Homer seems stable enough to gain control of himself and mature. Carlos is, well.... Carlos is Carlos.

I have to say...Hughes continues to impress. It's too early to definitively say anything, but there is no doubt that Hughes is improving his resume while Homer hasn't stepped up.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    It's kind of funny that someone compares Johnny to Carlos when I actually believe there are more similarities between Homer and Carlos. Both have the stuff to be successful, but the thing that makes them enigmas is what lies between the ears. I agree that Zambrano isn't a great comparison to Cueto, but I think he's oddly similar to Homer. Yeah, homer doesn't throw tantrums, but maturity even from game to game can be the difference between a shutout and a short outing. You just don't know what they are going to bring to the mound each day.

That said, Homer seems stable enough to gain control of himself and mature. Carlos is, well.... Carlos is Carlos.
    As a big Homer fan I was just thinking this myself a few days ago, but I think Homer keeps his emotions inside of him when he gets upset during the game unlike Zambrano where you actually see his tantrums

You can pick Cueto, but your vote won't count lol. I will still go out on a limb and take Baileys career over that of Cueto.
    Doug and I had a talk about this very thing sometime ago in one of these threads I disagreed then as I do now but you have to give it to him for sticking to his guns.

Turn Off Ads?