Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Are you worried about Swine Flu?

Anyone thought about the impact and ramifications of what is going on? They just found a suspected/probable case in my hometown. Pretty scary.

What do you all predict will happen? Do you think it will end up cancelling the MLB season completely? I mean obviously this is something that could impact everything. Companies, school systems, and sports.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/.../med_swine_flu

"The World Health Organization said the outbreak is moving closer to becoming a full-scale pandemic.

Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the organization's top flu expert, told reporters in Geneva that the latest developments are moving the agency closer to raising its pandemic alert to phase 5, indicating widespread human-to-human transmission. That's just one step below level 6, a full-fledged pandemic.

"the strain is particularly worrisome because "it's a virus that hasn't been around before. The general population doesn't have immunity from it."

People have various levels of protection against other more common types of flu because they are exposed to it over time, and that protection accumulates. She suggested that some older people might have more resistance to this particular strain than younger people because its traits might resemble outbreaks of decades ago."
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

It'll be yesterday's news in about 3 weeks probably...

I might be wrong, but we're talking about what, 50 or so people out of 300,000,000 in the US, and less than 100 confirmed dead worldwide...I understand trying to get ahead of it, but calling it a pandemic seems a bit much...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    It'll be yesterday's news in about 3 weeks probably...

I might be wrong, but we're talking about what, 50 or so people out of 300,000,000 in the US, and less than 100 confirmed dead worldwide...I understand trying to get ahead of it, but calling it a pandemic seems a bit much...
    It'll either be yesterday's news or it will be very very bad.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Not in the slightest. This is a prime example of how bad the news in our country is.

Not at all.

Been through the first swine flu and the bird flu. For 99.999 of population it won't affect them.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I am just as concerned about contracting swine flu as I am with getting hit with lightning.

Yawn...

This is just this years version of the bird flu. It's the latest and greatest thing that's going to "wipe out civilization."
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

No, and neither should you. There have been, what, 150 swine flu related deaths worldwide? In a normal flu season, anywhere from a quarter to a half a million people die worldwide.

I agree nothing to worry about now. But make sure you verify news from multiple sources, and I don't mean ABC NBC and CSPAN or whatever.

http://news.google.com/

Google News ftw

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Not in the slightest. This is a prime example of how bad the news in our country is.
    Well said.

200+ people die a day from regular human strains of the flu. Less than 100 people have died in the last 2 weeks from swine flu.

Sort of puts into perspective how ridiculous this thing is becoming.

That being said one can't rule out the possibility that this could become something larger as pandemics do occur from time to time and really put a hurting on a certain percentage of the population. I just think the current state of panic is a bit over blown in the media.

Not worried at all. Something like 30,000 in the United States alone die from the regular flu each year. So far, one confirmed dead in the U.S. That one being an infant, which are by nature, immuno-compromised as it is. Plus the fact that the infant had been to Mexico and was more than likely irreversibly ill by the time he got here. Most of the other confirmed cases in the U.S. have been people who have been diagnosed with it, and have since recovered already. Pretty much with little to no assistance from a Doctor. I agree with one of the above posters, this is no more serious than the avian flu, or SARS. It'll be old news in a month. Just wash your hands, and go to the doc if you suspect anything. Be sensible.
    Last edited by Tommyjohn25; 04-29-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Not one bit worried. Yeah, there may have been 150 deaths...and all but one have occurred in Mexico. The only other death was a toddler which came to the U.S. from Mexico. Almost all of those cases outside of Mexico have been reported mild. Most have already recovered. Most of those who died did so because it had not been identified as a newer strand until too late.
    However, if those dead arise again and crave brain...then I worry.

Swine Flu shots in 1976 - Pretty messed up affair that was.

I'm more worried about corn syrup in my coke than the swine flu.

Turn Off Ads?