Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Willie Taveras was a flu victim as recently as this month.
    All joking aside, Hairston had the flu real bad. And he played for team mexico in the WBC. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm sorry. Perhaps I didn't word that as well as I should. What I meant was that staph infections are, as I understand it, very treatable and can be prevented by proper hygene, etc and yet folks can and do die from it when it's not treated early enough.
    Staph infections can come from many sources. While I was in college, a friend of mine's girlfriend's roommate had knee surgery. She died of a staph infection post op. Staph infections are serious, kill you now situations. They can take down healthy people sitting in the hospital. A woman I know had wrist surgery, and she developed a staph infection. She was in the hospital for two weeks. Another person I know, a linebacker in high school at the time, got a staph infection in his shoulder, he nearly went into a coma, he spent three weeks in the hospital.

Give me swine flu any day of the week.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm much more worried about my drive home than I am the swine flu.
    well said, and agreed, I am much more worried about your drive home than the swine flu
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Honestly?

I'm more worried about some nut opening fire on me when I start sneezing from seasonal allergies than I am actually catching Swine Flu.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Christ, I have the sniffles and am hacking up greenies. I gots something. I'm gonna see if Crown Royal won't kill it later.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Christ, I have the sniffles and am hacking up greenies. I gots something. I'm gonna see if Crown Royal won't kill it later.
    Ahhh Whiskey, the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    All joking aside, Hairston had the flu real bad. And he played for team mexico in the WBC. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.
    You bring up a good point but there's more to it. Hairston was tested and it was not Swine Fly although it was a closely related strain. Also Jerry says he's still not 100%. It's still dragging at him. So yes Swine Flu isn't the only strain that can knock you for a loop

I just don't get the paranoia. If I contract H1N1 (they changed the name) basically I get the flu. I go out and get antibiotics, am sick for a week or so, and should be fine after that week. To my knowledge the H1N1 virus is deadly to the elderly and infants, which sounds a lot like pneumonia, and even your basic flu.

I would be if I had to travel by plane.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I just don't get the paranoia. If I contract H1N1 (they changed the name) basically I get the flu. I go out and get antibiotics, am sick for a week or so, and should be fine after that week. To my knowledge the H1N1 virus is deadly to the elderly and infants, which sounds a lot like pneumonia, and even your basic flu.
    For flu, antibiotics are at best a waste and at worst harmful in the long run.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Exactly.

There have been two home invasions in my usually quiet neighborhood in the past week. The flu thing isn't even on my radar.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    There have been two home invasions in my usually quiet neighborhood in the past week. The flu thing isn't even on my radar.
    How do you know that the home invasions weren't swine flu-related?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    How do you know that the home invasions weren't swine flu-related?
    You just blew my mind.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    For flu, antibiotics are at best a waste and at worst harmful in the long run.
    IIRC, antibiotics would be taken if the flu develops into something else that could be treated w/said antibiotics. But for just the flu, it has to run its course. FWIW, I've only had the flu twice in my life - first time was a senior in HS and the second time was after I received a flu shot... and I haven't had a flu shot since!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?