Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

Re: Are you worried about Swine Flu?

My sister in Boston has a confirmed case. She is a medical researcher so she is taking it all in stride. She says it is actually not that bad in its current form; its the mutations that could be scary.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/op...rkel.html?_r=1

May 3, 2009
    Op-Chart
    American Epidemics, a Brief History
    By HOWARD MARKEL and SAM POTTS

ALL epidemics are different in their own way, and the current swine flu outbreak — which by Friday had sickened 141 people in 19 states, and caused deaths and illness in Mexico and 13 other countries — is no exception. Yet, as you can see from the chart below, which provides details on a selected handful of epidemics in American history, all outbreaks share certain themes. While some of these events killed many thousands and others affected only a few, in each case public health officials felt a grave threat was imminent and did what they could using the science of the day.

History also shows us, unfortunately, that epidemics lead to reflexive scapegoating of those thought to have caused the problem. Just as European immigrants were blamed for importing cholera in the late 19th century, we are now seeing reports of American politicians saying that Mexican migrant workers should be turned away from hospitals and a rash of scurrilous posts on the Internet attributing the outbreak to their “dirty” ways of life. Another common feature is misinformation. There are now boycotts around the world of Mexican pork, despite well-established science that humans do not contract swine flu from eating pork. And then there was Vice President Joe Biden’s premature suggestion that we all avoid airplanes and the subway.

Confusion and blame games aside, we can take heart that our public health professionals are working around the clock to prevent this crisis from getting out of control. One thing the history of epidemics teaches us is that given our remarkable arsenal of treatments, public health measures and rapid surveillance and communications ability, there’s never been a better time to have a pandemic than today — except, that is, tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    ^ Flu shots cannot cause the flu, according to what I've read. But a flu shot may only vaccinate someone from 2 or 3 popular strains, and you could contract a different flu virus.
    There are many many different strains of the flu. A flu shot is basically an educated guess on the prevalent flu of the season. They use historical data as well data acquired from Australia because they experience their winter before the US does. You can still get the flu even if your are vaccinated, it is just a different strain.

I'll be more worried about it in the fall especially once it shows up in schools.

A "probable" case has shown up in a private school here in Norfolk, about 10 minutes from where I live.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/prob...private-school

The child is recovering.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I live a county away from the first three cases of H1N1 in the US.

I live in the state where the only US death from H1N1 has occurred.

A few thousand school kids within 45 minutes of where I live in three school districts are missing 2 weeks of school during state testing. Mind you, this is normally the only time of the school year where public school administrators badger parents by mail, email and telephone about making sure the kids get to school. To have the schools closed at this time of year is normally unthinkable.

Our county's public health officer just said on the news that he expects there could be as many as 15 confirmed cases of H1N1 in the county by the end of the day.

It'd be impossible not to pay attention in the face of all of that, but I'm not worried.

On another note, it seems that most of the US cases are occurring in people under 40. It's a great time to be older than 40.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 05-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    /r/reds

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Seems like this is what I'm gathering after a lot of listening and watching; the swine flu isn't as potent or deadly as people might have thought it to be, but it is very contagious.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    A "probable" case has shown up in a private school here in Norfolk, about 10 minutes from where I live.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/prob...private-school

The child is recovering.
    Your only chance for survival is to either burn them out of their home or move to Antarctica.

I'd go with the latter.
    Suck it up cupcake.

And now the H1N1 virus is not as severe as originally thought. Who saw that coming?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/b...,6067252.story

I'm a middle school teacher and we have a probable case in our school. They're waiting on the results of the second test. Too bad they're not recommending shutting down schools at this point, I feel like a two week vacation.

But it has been interesting. Somehow the majority of the kids haven't found out yet and the administrators are acting unconcerned. I don't know if all that will change if it is confirmed that it is swine flu, but I doubt it.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Mine turned out to be a wicked nasty case of bronchitis along with asthma.

I coulda been famous!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    And now the H1N1 virus is not as severe as originally thought. Who saw that coming?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/b...,6067252.story

Tell our friends in China that. We were over there for a business school class and two businesses that we were supposed to meet with all of a sudden had "more pressing issues," the poor guy from Minnesota who had a confirmed case was practically wrapped in saran wrap, and the university we were working through made us take our temperature in a secure room. Anyone with more than a 98.6 had to continue taking the temperature throughout the day.

Turn Off Ads?