Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso tearing it up at Sarasota over the last 10 days.

Re: Yonder Alonso tearing it up at Sarasota over the last 10 days.

FYI you can always find updates on all minor league teams and players by clicking right below the Sun Deck where it says minor league talk(good stuff there)

Its nice to see Yonder doing well.If he keeps it up for 10 more games he should be promoted.Probably to AAA just to see if he can make the adjustments needed to hit far better pitching.If he could prove that he can hit the pitchers at that level then we could see him this year in a Reds uniform this year.

That being said I for 1 hate the idea of moving Votto to the OF mid season. So where does he play? I think he would have to back Joey up this season and get as many pinch hit ABs as possible.If he tears it up in that role then you consider moving Votto to the OF.

I for one wouldn't be opposed to trading Alfonso at that point for a All Star caliber out fielder with a good contract that would be a part of the team for many years to come.I'd also take a young pitching prospect along the lines of what Volquez was when we got him.The bottom line is that we don't need a first baseman.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The one thing the team has at this point is a little bit of time before they have to decide. Alonso's minor league career is just starting, so he probably wouldn't be ready for the bigs until the last half of 2010 at the soonest, and probably more likely the beginning of 2011. So, the team has some time. And in that time, anything could happen. One of them could have a serious injury that solves the issue.

Most likely, one of them gets traded to fill a need. I think with this team starting to stress defense, putting one of them out of position probably won't be the answer.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

One way or another, management is going to have to justify drafting a 1B in the 1st round, when we had an up and commer in the wings...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    One way or another, management is going to have to justify drafting a 1B in the 1st round, when we had an up and commer in the wings...
    Well, if they thought he was the best player available, then there is your answer. First round, you take the best player...pure and simple. Like I said, you never know at the time what might happen. Votto could tear up a knee, or the league could suddenly figure him out and he stops hitting. There is plenty of time for it to sort it self out.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Swap Yonder and some spects for Han Ram when the Marlins have their Bi-Annual player sale!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    The one thing the team has at this point is a little bit of time before they have to decide. Alonso's minor league career is just starting, so he probably wouldn't be ready for the bigs until the last half of 2010 at the soonest, and probably more likely the beginning of 2011. So, the team has some time. And in that time, anything could happen. One of them could have a serious injury that solves the issue.

Most likely, one of them gets traded to fill a need. I think with this team starting to stress defense, putting one of them out of position probably won't be the answer.
    You might be right about how long it could take for Yonder to make it up to the big league team.The fact that he is on the 40 man roster and the amount of money he is being paid would tell me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He seems like that kind of a guy.
    He may be that kind of guy, but for some reason I just don't see him being that good in LF. I like him at first and in the infield. And I would rather have Bruce and Votto around for 10 years vs. Yonder.

I have to admit I don't know much about Yonder, but I always felt like he was the kind of guy you draft and use as trade bait when he's ready to break into the majors. I can't imagine him being in Cincy, especially with his relationship with ARod. He just seems like he's already been exposed to the kind of world that doesn't happen in Cincy.

But what do I know.

So does Alonso not have any kind of arm to play other positions? Seems like he could play some 3B if he has an arm, not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    So does Alonso not have any kind of arm to play other positions? Seems like he could play some 3B if he has an arm, not sure though.
    From what I've read, he is a one position guy. Doesn't meant they can't try him at another. Just means from a scouting perspective, he's the kind of guy that will probably stay at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    He may be that kind of guy, but for some reason I just don't see him being that good in LF. I like him at first and in the infield. And I would rather have Bruce and Votto around for 10 years vs. Yonder.

I have to admit I don't know much about Yonder, but I always felt like he was the kind of guy you draft and use as trade bait when he's ready to break into the majors. I can't imagine him being in Cincy, especially with his relationship with ARod. He just seems like he's already been exposed to the kind of world that doesn't happen in Cincy.

But what do I know.
    ^I have to agree, I have had those concerns for him too.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Make that 22 RBI's over his last 16 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    Swap Yonder and some spects for Han Ram when the Marlins have their Bi-Annual player sale!
    This I completely agree with. If the Reds could acquire Hanley Ramirez, and Votto and Bruce keep going forward, they would be unstoppable.

Votto = MVP

^^ Do you think we'd be willing to spend the money to keep this together for more than just a season or two once they're not so young and cheap?
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Just Move him to 3B, and get EE out

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    I think it would take a lot more to get Ramirez but it is a good idea.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?