Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yonder Alonso tearing it up at Sarasota over the last 10 days.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Yonder Alonso tearing it up at Sarasota over the last 10 days.

If you can hit, they'll find a place to play you. I'm not real worried about duplication since it amounts to having an up and coming 1b in high A when we have Ramon Hernandez as our backup 1b in the Show.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bumping up.

As we approach the end of May, he's got this going:

158 ABs .291/.370/.506 OPS .876 7 HR (37 rbi) 13 doubles 20 R 21 BBs 25 Ks
    My understanding from this board is that Sarasota is a pitching friendly league, and that OPSing where Alonso is currently is nothing to be sneezed at. For comparisons sake, Votto at Sarasota went:

.256/.330/.425 for a .755 OPS (17 homeruns in 529 at-bats)
    The upshot is, Alonso appears to be, in my mind, absolutely meeting lofty expectations, and that the early returns are that Reds drafted well and have a real asset coming.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Good summary, membengal. It looks like the Reds have something very special in their wings. It will be very, very interesting to see how it affects the situation with Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bumping up.

As we approach the end of May, he's got this going:

My understanding from this board is that Sarasota is a pitching friendly league, and that OPSing where Alonso is currently is nothing to be sneezed at. For comparisons sake, Votto at Sarasota went:

The upshot is, Alonso appears to be, in my mind, absolutely meeting lofty expectations, and that the early returns are that Reds drafted well and have a real asset coming.

Is that the season for Votto in which the Reds told guys in the minors to take the first pitch?

Just wondering because I can't remember what year it was.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Is that the season for Votto in which the Reds told guys in the minors to take the first pitch?

Just wondering because I can't remember what year it was.
    Yeah, that was the same year.

I do think that it is about that time to give Alonso AA at-bats. Maybe a week or two and he is moving up.

Turn Off Ads?