Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funniest moment?

Funniest moment?

Many of us here have probably been in attendance when something hilarious happened, either on the field of play or in the stands. What, if anything, is your all time favorite moment? Doesn't necessarily have to be in person, can be something you saw on television also.

But watching Carlos Lee in left tonight reminded me of my moment. It was 2007, and me and my best friend from Houston went to the Reds-Astros game in Cincy. We went to our seats in left, and there was this guy dressed in a banana suit. And we were wondering "What the hell is going on?"

Well, the guy was quite drunk, and the entire time Lee was in left field, this guy was screaming "HEY! CARLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! COME GET YOUR POTASSIUM CARLOS! THE BANANA MAN WANTS YOU!"

Turns out, Lee (or so I was told) owns some banana farms in his native country. The look on Lee's face was priceless, and even though Woody Williams and the Astros beat the snot out of the Reds and Arroyo that game, it's a game I'll never forget.

(Also the first time I watched Hamilton in person, and he promptly homered to right. My buddy said "Who in the world is this Hamilton guy?")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Funniest moment?

Mine was watching on TV when Paul O'Neill kicked the ball back to the infield, a runner was rounding third to score to win the game, and the 3b coach saw the ball in the air coming back in to stop him.

Worth The Wait

Summer of 1999 (a glorious one for Reds fans). Myself and two good friends drove from Norman down to Houston for a Dave Matthews Band concert. The day before, we went to the Astrodome to catch a game against the Padres---with the Reds and Stros battling it out, I had definite rooting interest. We got some seats in the OF and we drank A LOT of beer (Dome Foam). One of my friends got rowdy--loud, but fun, not obnoxious or offensive. Anyway, as the game progressed, my buddy really started razzing some young Astro none of us had ever heard of. He kept yelling, "How come no one knows who you are?" and "Enjoy your cup of coffee." Then he kept hollering the players name and making refrence to his anonimity. The fans around us were amused and the player even gave us some good-natured smiles in return.

"Hey Berkman....BERKMAN.....BERKMAN.....who are you??!!"

Fenway Park, sitting close to the Sox on-deck circle with my two boys, who were quite young at the time. Late-ish in the game, 4 drunk guys, classic Boston razzmatazzers, come out of the rafters and settle into some abandoned seats. They spend every available minute while the Angels hit getting ALL over 1st base coach, the Cobra, Dave Parker. All very good natured, but also off-color. Seemed like the right place for my kids to pick up some vocabulary.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I miss Adam Dunn.

Carlos Lee always has fun with the Cubs fans in Wrigley. I've seen him, on multiple occasions, fake throw the ball in the stands after an inning.

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Many of us here have probably been in attendance when something hilarious happened, either on the field of play or in the stands. What, if anything, is your all time favorite moment? Doesn't necessarily have to be in person, can be something you saw on television also.

But watching Carlos Lee in left tonight reminded me of my moment. It was 2007, and me and my best friend from Houston went to the Reds-Astros game in Cincy. We went to our seats in left, and there was this guy dressed in a banana suit. And we were wondering "What the hell is going on?"

Well, the guy was quite drunk, and the entire time Lee was in left field, this guy was screaming "HEY! CARLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! COME GET YOUR POTASSIUM CARLOS! THE BANANA MAN WANTS YOU!"

Turns out, Lee (or so I was told) owns some banana farms in his native country. The look on Lee's face was priceless, and even though Woody Williams and the Astros beat the snot out of the Reds and Arroyo that game, it's a game I'll never forget.

(Also the first time I watched Hamilton in person, and he promptly homered to right. My buddy said "Who in the world is this Hamilton guy?")
    Was that guy dressed up like a banana? If so, I was at that game in the LF stands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    Was that guy dressed up like a banana? If so, I was at that game in the LF stands as well.
    Yeah, he was wearing a huge banana suit. Were you the banana man?!

Haunted by walks

I remember a spring training game when Barry Larkin was coming back from a "sports hernia" and every time he reached for a ground ball, a heckler a few rows back would yell, "Oh, my mesh ..." so the whole park could here.

I eventually looked back to see who the guy was and he was a short bald man with thick glasses, wearing shorts and socks, a human cartoon.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Not really a funny moment, but I was at Riverfront to watch the Pirates and the Reds double header. On a flyball to the outfield, two Bucco outfeilders ran into each other as the ball descended. The ball popped back up between the players, and one of the fielders, with his momentum going forward, reached back and caught the ball with his bare hand. Truley amazing.

I also saw Jeff Branson fall down rounding first
    Witty signature.

I feel like it was opening day, but I'm not sure. Anway, the game was delayed by rain for a couple of hours and some dude ran onto the field. It was pretty funny but the cops took him away and that was the end of it. About an hour later another guy runs on, but instead of just running from the cops like everyone else, he jumps into the tarp tube and won't come out for like 10 minutes. Best thing ever.

Oh man, great thread idea!

Last year we were at a game sitting out in the RF moon deck. Later in the game, two guys took off out of the seats behind 3b and make it all the way out to right center. The two cops near the visitor's bullpen (right below where we were sitting) take off after the guys. They first tried to climb the OF wall but then fail. One guy gives up and the cops get him. The other guy runs around in the OF a little while longer and the overweight cop after him had no chance of catching him. The guy finally got tired and gave up and the cop caught up and straight tackled him....classic. Anyways, the guys get led out thru the visitor's bullpen right under us and as they go by I turn and yell at the cop, "That was probably the biggest workout you've had in 10 years." All the fans around us started cracking up and all the pitchers in the Cards bullpen were cracking up. The cop was probably too out of breath to reply even if he wanted.

Another good one was at a Reds vs. Marlins game at GABP a few years back. Myself and a friend got crappy tickets and as the game progressed we moved down and ended up in the front row out right next to the batter's eye. Juan Pierre was the Marlins CF'er and when he was out there we gave him some good natured ribbing. Just PG rated stuff but it was pretty empty so he could hear everything we were saying and looked back at us a few times. So anyways, he finishes warming up in the 9th inning and he turns, points right at me and throws me the ball. Pretty effective way to shut up a fan, right?

And one of my all time favorites was a couple years back at a Reds vs. Cardinals game. We were in the RF seats sitting right behind So Taguchi, the Cards RF'er. At some point in the game, there was a runner on 2nd and 1 out. A Reds player hit a deep fly to the warning track. Taguchi goes back and makes the catch and puts his head down and starts jogging in thinking it was the 3rd out while the Reds players tags up and goes to third. Well this is the perfect ammo for all of us out there behind Taguchi. People were getting on him pretty hard but he ignored all of it and just kept playing. One kid was even on his phone looking up the pronunciation for 3 outs in Japanese. It was pretty funny and he was good to not even try and respond. So the next inning he's out there again and there's one out. Some guy yells, "Hey So, how many outs are there now?" And, without skipping a beat or turning around, he just puts up 2 fingers in the classic two outs gesture and we all just lost it laughing. From then on no one even ragged him and he did stuff like that a few more times. What a good natured guy who was having fun out there.

I was at a game that got delayed quite a few years back at Riverfront Stadium. The reason for the delay? Schottzie the dog pooped right on home plate. No, I'm not even making this up. It was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I feel like it was opening day, but I'm not sure. Anway, the game was delayed by rain for a couple of hours and some dude ran onto the field. It was pretty funny but the cops took him away and that was the end of it. About an hour later another guy runs on, but instead of just running from the cops like everyone else, he jumps into the tarp tube and won't come out for like 10 minutes. Best thing ever.
    It was Opening Day 2000 (Griffey's 1st).

I was about to tell the same story! Probably the hardest I have ever laughed.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

The funniest story I remember was not a game I was at but I saw this on TV. It was a few years ago and it was how Junior dealt with a heckler at Dodger Stadium. This is the ESPN story from that night:

There are Ken Griffey Jr. fans and there are Ken Griffey Jr. supporters. The two worlds met at Dodger Stadium, when the Cincinnati Reds outfielder won over a heckler with a one-of-a-kind souvenier.

The fan, seated behind the Reds dugout, was riding Griffey all game long on Friday before Griffey turned the tables.

"We were getting eye contact from all the players when I decided I would give the Dodgers an extra edge," the fan, identified in the Cincinnati Post as Matt Schafer, 25, wrote on his MySpace page. "I was going to try and get in Ken Griffey Jr.'s head a little bit. He had to walk right by us to get to the dugout and I just couldn't help myself."

"So I started with the basics: 'you suck ... shouldn't you be on the D.L. ... too old for center ... that kind of stuff."

Griffey said he was happy to play along.

"He was just on me every time I came in," Griffey said. "Him being a little larger than normal, I just asked, 'Shouldn't you be wearing a support bra?' "

In the sixth inning, Griffey sent someone back to the Reds clubhouse to fetch the largest athletic supporter he could find. The accomplice wrote the number "3" and "JR" on the waistband, and Griffey put the supporter in a brown paper bag, rolled it up and tossed it to Schafer when he ran back onto the field.

Schafer, a musician from San Pedro, Calif., opened the bag, pulled out the athletic supporter and began twirling it on his finger, with stadium cameras broadcasting the man's reaction for posterity.

"He was like, 'Whoa!'" Griffey told the Cincnnati Enquirer. "I turned around before all that stuff happened, but I could hear that section just laughing. Then I turned around and just saw him twirling it in the air like a helicopter."

Schafer had been won over.

"When Griffey came back in, I told him I was sorry about what [I] said about his mom and that I wanted to make up," he wrote on his MySpace page. "He shot me a grin. When he came out in the 8th [inning] he shot me another smile and I told him he still has the greatest swing in baseball. I hope he heard me, I think he did. I love Griffey."

In an e-mail interview with The Cincinnati Post, Schafer said he couldn't believe his story got so big, so fast.

"Griffey was so much fun that night. I know he was having fun with me too and it was all done in good taste. He is an incredible player with spectacular character," Schafer said via e-mail, according to the Post. "I hope we can laugh about that sometime again together. Maybe he will sign the now infamous jock for me."

Turn Off Ads?