Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds stats after 20 games

Reds stats after 20 games

Ten and ten. 7-3 on road. 3-7 at home. Yes, that's correct. Offense weak, pitching not bad, defense spotty of late.

Offense - next to last in NL in major stats. OPS (.684), BA (.233), SLG (.370). OBP is third worst in league at .314. Still, OPS of .684 is better than was after ten games (.652).

Votto top hitter on team by far among leaders in NL in BA, RBI, and other categories, but Bruce has shown flashes of late as have Nix, Hernandez and some bench guys. Gonzo at .167, Phillips at .191, and EE at .127 on DL. That's three regulars still below Mendoza line, all from right side of the plate.

Pitching - Team ERA is 4.32 (after ten games was 5.11), now 8th best in NL, a little better than the NL average. BA against is also 8th best in league. Oddly, team is 13th in striking people out and has the 6th most walks. Still, overall, if kept up, pitching shows big improvement over last few years.

Cueto at 2.19 with two recent great outings. Harang at 3.09 and Owings 3.78 solid. Volquez and Arroyo over 6, but both are better than that and V throwing a great game so far in game 21. Weathers and Rhodes still with zero ERAs, Cordero a recent bad outing but has six saves (add one more in game 21). Lincoln at 15.12 ERA and 2.88 WHIP. Needs to get it going.

Fielding - Reds now have 18 errors and a Fielding PCT of .976. Only Washington and St. Louis with worse numbers. After ten games FPCT was .984, so it's quite a bit worse. Three errors each for Dickerson, Votto, EE.
    Somebody else can plug in the more sophisticated defensive stats. But Reds have made more than their share of errors of late.

Will continue to try and update as season progresses.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-29-2009 at 11:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Reds stats after 20 games

Tonight has me excited about this team. I see Rosales and Nix as decent options to help this team be successful, with Nix getting a portion of the ABs in LF and supplying some offense and Rosales helping out in the infield. I'd like to see Rosales stick at 3B permanently until one of the guys from the minors is ready. Meanwhile, I would rehab EE for LF and have him quasi-platoon with Nix out there. Hairston's days with my club would be numbered...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

When the Reds score 4 or more runs, they are 7-1.

When the Reds score 3 or fewer runs, they are 4-8.

In 2009, scoring 0-3 runs in 3 out of every 5 games isn't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Tonight has me excited about this team. I see Rosales and Nix as decent options to help this team be successful, with Nix getting a portion of the ABs in LF and supplying some offense and Rosales helping out in the infield. I'd like to see Rosales stick at 3B permanently until one of the guys from the minors is ready. Meanwhile, I would rehab EE for LF and have him quasi-platoon with Nix out there. Hairston's days with my club would be numbered...
    I agree. I like Rosales at third base. He's a good defender over there, IMO, and I think his bat is good enough to play 3B. Who knows, maybe he's the next Chris Sabo.

I also like the idea of putting EdE in left field.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-29-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Man Pills

RS: 82 RA: 92

Through 22 games. I expect the offense to improve a bit the next couple of games with two middling righties on the mound. And I doubt the Pirates go too crazy on offense with McLouth still a bit gimpy. The RS/RA might actually be improved by the end of the weekend, but even if it maintains, it's not awful, and not irremediable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Fielding - Reds now have 18 errors and a Fielding PCT of .976. Only Washington and St. Louis with worse numbers. After ten games FPCT was .984, so it's quite a bit worse. Three errors each for Dickerson, Votto, EE.
    Somebody else can plug in the more sophisticated defensive stats. But Reds have made more than their share of errors of late.
    The Reds' defense has actually been exceedingly good despite the errors. Their defensive efficiency is .714, which is good for third best in majors. Last year they were second to last at .673. The best team in 2008 was Tamba Bay, which put up a total of .710.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Through 22 games. I expect the offense to improve a bit the next couple of games with two middling righties on the mound. And I doubt the Pirates go too crazy on offense with McLouth still a bit gimpy. The RS/RA might actually be improved by the end of the weekend, but even if it maintains, it's not awful, and not irremediable.

If the pitching keeps up, looks to me like the Reds could be one major bat from being a contender for the Central.

Right now, team has 3.92 ERA, fourth best in the league. Even if this number gets a bit worse, it's really a great number considering the team's pitching stats over the past several years.

What does that work out to in terms of Pythagorean-- 9-13? 10-12?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What does that work out to in terms of Pythagorean-- 9-13? 10-12?
    10-12

True. But it is the sort of thing that's like a leaky boat. I do think they can keep it close and would be thrilled if if would actually be out of the red.

So to speak!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I don't see the Reds posting a strong RS/RA differential this season, or at least until the offense is upgraded. The offense is just so bad and doesn't have the ability to blow out teams. Take the last two games for instance. The Reds shutout their opponents in both games, which created a perfect opportunity for the Reds to make up ground in their RS/RA differential. The Reds scored a total of seven runs in those two games. They could've scored at least five more runs, but the offense blew so many chances. Plus, there's going to be games when the pitching is roughed up. I think our best hope for now is to outplay our Pythagorean and hope that Walt acquires a bat or two sometime soon.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

The Reds are cheating the Pythagorean...... I hope nobody tells Raisor.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds are cheating the Pythagorean...... I hope nobody tells Raisor.
    The 2009 Reds seem, intuitively, like a team that will be slightly better than their Pythag for most of the year -- given that they're built on winning close games with great pitching.

They're basically conceding the shoot-outs and concentrating on winning the 4-2 / 3-1 games.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The 2009 Reds seem, intuitively, like a team that will be slightly better than their Pythag for most of the year -- given that they're built on winning close games with great pitching.

They're basically conceding the shoot-outs and concentrating on winning the 4-2 / 3-1 games.
    didn't the D backs do something like this in 2007?

the Reds have a good defense & a good back end of the bullpen.
    makes sense that they are likely to hang on to win the close games & outwin their Pythag.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Well I hope they OK'd it with Raiser beforehand.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?