Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Re: Laynce Nix

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Devils Advocate - we all know there is such a thing as a small sample size...but there is also a too large sample size. I don't care what JHJ did in his first 2000 career ABs...just what he has done over the past 2-3 years is fine for me.
    That said, I don't like what JHJ brings to the table either.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense but here you go: .251/.313/.363 - .676 OPS.

You wanna keep going smaller until you see something you like?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Small sample size all around.

Hairston has 39 at bats this year.
    Nix has 29.
    Dickerson has 44.
    Rosales has 2 official MLB at bats this year.

They should all continue to get opportunities. With EE out, with Dickerson perhaps still out, there will be more opportunities to go around. Righties will be used against lefty pitching, and vice versa.

But it's a mistake to make permanent changes based on a few games. I'm not ditching Hairston or Dickerson just yet. I'm not installing Wes Bankston just yet. Or Gomes.

As for Nix, he should continue to get at bats against righties, but it's a bit harsh to replace Dickerson after 44 at bats.
    I'm absolutely for ditching Hairston and/or McDonald for Gomes and/or Bankston.

I'd never let Gomes have an AB versus a right hander, but I'd sure get him up there plenty vs. lefties.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Re: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

I say give him the PT, I am going to avoid stats etc and point to the red's good fortune over past few years to find reclamation guys who seem to put it all together playin in the Queen City. the tools are there with Nix that cannot be denied.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Nix has looked a whole lot better at the plate than I thought he would. Might as well see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nix has looked a whole lot better at the plate than I thought he would. Might as well see what he can do.
    He has really impressed me thus far. Let him hit until he stops and then split the playing time between Tavares, Dickerson, and Nix. I would like to see McDonald punted for Gomes too.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Play the hot bat. Nix is hot so play him until he cools off then go with next hot bat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

What Dusty's got to do is a little more complex than any of us tends to acknowledge as we're always cutting one guy and adding some other or benching this one for that etc. He's got to try to get contributions from Nix, Rosales, EE, JHJ, CD etc. because this team's offense is marginal. What's a little bit encouraging to me is that I do see baby steps toward the place where we can expect some offensive contribution from all 8 positions. Phillips is heating up a bit, as is Gonzo; Ramon already has; and we now understand that EE has probably just needed some recuperation time. It looks possible that Rosales and Nix may be able to make a contribution and JHJ has shown at least some ability to do that in the past, as has CD, though in a much smaller sample. What we can't have, it seems to me, is what we've had too much of in the first month: stretches of games where we are getting absolutely nothing out of a good percentage of the lineup, especially in those key middle spots in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Play the hot bat. Nix is hot so play him until he cools off then go with next hot bat.
    Pretty much my take on things.

IMO, the guys who should be playing every day are:

Votto - 1B
    Phillips - 2B (had a good game 2 games ago...)
    Janish - SS (not gonna happen, but man, AG has been a blackhole)
    Rosales - 3B
    Nix - LF
    Willy T - CF
    Bruce - RF
    Hernandez - C (although hanigan should be starting more than just BA's starts).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

He was about the only guy to hit a ball hard against Paulino last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Small sample size all around.

Hairston has 39 at bats this year.
    Nix has 29.
    Dickerson has 44.
    Rosales has 2 official MLB at bats this year.

They should all continue to get opportunities. With EE out, with Dickerson perhaps still out, there will be more opportunities to go around. Righties will be used against lefty pitching, and vice versa.

But it's a mistake to make permanent changes based on a few games. I'm not ditching Hairston or Dickerson just yet. I'm not installing Wes Bankston just yet. Or Gomes.

As for Nix, he should continue to get at bats against righties, but it's a bit harsh to replace Dickerson after 44 at bats.

There no such thing as a permanent change in this discussion. The closest thing to permanent in baseball is when you sign someone for big money, but that's not the case with any of these options.

So far no one has been "getting the job done" in LF so yes, Nix should be given the job for now. Let's see what he can do with the opportunity. Ditto for Rosales at 3B

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I agree with OBM on this subject I to think Nix should get ALOT more playing time.Look I like Dickerson but facts are facts and Nix is playing 10 times better than Dickerson right now.You should always go with the hot hand if you want to win and right now that hot hand is Nix.He is knocking the cover off the ball and I think he should be in that starting lineup everyday atleast againist the righties.
    I agree. There are times around here that folks try to make this game more complicated than it really is. Who cares if he projects to a .740 OPS or whatever? Just play him for now and let's see how he does. Dickerson will get his opportunities. We're not discussing whether to sign him to a long term contract, just whether to play the guy for awhile.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Play the hot hand and milk it for what you can.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Don't really know if it's an issue of SHOULD he when we don't have a lot of in-house options right now for LF.

It's obvious, since his poor play, that CDick is in Dusty's dog house. Of course I don't think Dusty was that high on this kid to begin with. In ST he would always talk highly of Dickerson when asked; but he also always had an extra comment or two to make that gave me the impression he wasn't sold on this kid, and was going to be on a short leash.

We don't know if Nix can hit. And the guy is built like a middle LBer, but doesn't seem to possess the speed and agility. So we could be sticking a poor facsimile of Adam Dunn out there.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We don't know if Nix can hit. And the guy is built like a middle LBer, but doesn't seem to possess the speed and agility. So we could be sticking a poor facsimile of Adam Dunn out there.
    I've never known Dunn to play CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I've never known Dunn to play CF.
    No, but he has ran over a few.

But I was referring to where Nix has been playing for us.... LF.

I don't know much about Nix at all, other then he's 28, and has played in less then 40 games since 2006.

His 162 game average isn't anything to brag about....

24 BB 144 K .236 BA .272 OB% .405 SLG .677 OPS

He better turn it on sooner or later, because he ain't getting any younger.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?