Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Anyone else think Laynce Nix should start every day vs RHP, at least until he cools off? If he does. After tonight, Nix is hitting .310/.355/.621 - .976 with six extra-base hits (4 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR) in 29 atbats. He's always had the ability, but injuries have held him back. Who knows, maybe he's the next Ryan Ludwick or Nelson Cruz. I'm a big Dickerson fan, but Nix should get the bulk of the starts in left field vs right handers. Dickerson becomes the 4th outfielder and gets some starts in CF.

Also, it's time for the Reds to find another right handed bat to platoon in left field. Jerry Hairston Jr. just isn't getting it done. Jonny Gomes and Wes Bankston are probably the best in house options at this point.

One other thing, if Adam Rosales plays well at third base for the next three weeks, I'd start having EdE work out in left field. I really like what Rosales brings to the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Laynce Nix

Small sample size all around.

Hairston has 39 at bats this year.
    Nix has 29.
    Dickerson has 44.
    Rosales has 2 official MLB at bats this year.

They should all continue to get opportunities. With EE out, with Dickerson perhaps still out, there will be more opportunities to go around. Righties will be used against lefty pitching, and vice versa.

But it's a mistake to make permanent changes based on a few games. I'm not ditching Hairston or Dickerson just yet. I'm not installing Wes Bankston just yet. Or Gomes.

As for Nix, he should continue to get at bats against righties, but it's a bit harsh to replace Dickerson after 44 at bats.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-30-2009 at 12:20 AM.

It's not a small sample size with Jerry Hairston Jr. He has a career .698 OPS in 3,229 plate appearances at the major league level. Outside of 261 atbats last season, Hairston has proven he can't hit major league pitching.

I'm not saying Dickerson shouldn't get any atbats. I like the guy, I'm one of his biggest fans. I just think Laynce Nix should get the bulk of the playing time in left field right now while he's crushing the ball. Play the hot hand.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-30-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's not a small sample size with Jerry Hairston Jr. He has a career .698 OPS in 3,229 plate appearances at the major league level. Outside of 261 atbats last season, Hairston has proven he can't hit major league pitching.
    Devils Advocate - we all know there is such a thing as a small sample size...but there is also a too large sample size. I don't care what JHJ did in his first 2000 career ABs...just what he has done over the past 2-3 years is fine for me.

That said, I don't like what JHJ brings to the table either.

*BaseClogger* and Highlifeman21 approve this message!

I'm not saying Dickerson shouldn't get any atbats. I like the guy, I'm one of his biggest fans. I just think Laynce Nix should get the bulk of the playing time in left field right now while he's crushing the ball. Play the hot hand.
    You're right about Hairston, but to be fair Nix's career numbers are even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    You're right about Hairston, but to be fair Nix's career numbers are even worse.
    Check out the minor league numbers before he got called up in Texas. He skipped AAA and was rushed by the Rangers. I think he is ready to break out. Besides, an .800 OPS and good defense would be a HUGE upgrade over what the other forecast calls for...

Just because that statement has been repeated a hundred times doesn't make it true. Hairston's 2008 happened. Just last year. It wasn't a fiction. He needs to settle down, he's overanxious right now. Last year he was more selective.

Laynce Nix's baseball card isn't going to the hall of fame either.

None of these players is a proven starter. So they get chances throughout the year and, if anyone shows consistency, he gets more chances. That's what happened with Hairston last year, and he made good.

Reliance on 29 or 39 or 44 at bats as definitive proof is a mistake.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-30-2009 at 12:33 AM.

While that's true, roughly 780 of his 900 career major league atbats came between ages 22-24. Some guys just aren't ready to play in the majors at that age. Nix spent all of 2002 in High-A, began 2003 in Double-A where he posted an .831 OPS in 375 atbats, and then he was promoted straight to the majors. He also suffered a major shoulder injury in 2005 and was forced to undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum. Guys like Ryan Ludwick and Nelson Cruz were miserable in their first few big league seasons too.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-30-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Check out the minor league numbers before he got called up in Texas. He skipped AAA and was rushed by the Rangers. I think he is ready to break out. Besides, an .800 OPS and good defense would be a HUGE upgrade over what the other forecast calls for...
    Yeah, I don't think he's a bad hitter. His AAA numbers show him as a guy with pop but struggles getting on base. I think he could probably OPS .750 in the bigs, but is that good enough for a platoon LF? I also thought he was supposed to be a poor fielder, am I wrong on that?

Basically, I like Nix as a bench guy, but at this point I prefer Dickerson as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just because that statement has been repeated a hundred times doesn't make it true. Hairston's 2008 happened. Just last year. It wasn't a fiction. He needs to settle down, he's overanxious right now. Last year he was more selective.
    Yes, it's true. Hairston has a career .698 OPS in 2,830 career major league atbats. Don't believe me, check for yourself.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...02.shtml?redir
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-30-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Yeah, I don't think he's a bad hitter. His AAA numbers show him as a guy with pop but struggles getting on base. I think he could probably OPS .750 in the bigs, but is that good enough for a platoon LF? I also thought he was supposed to be a poor fielder, am I wrong on that?

Basically, I like Nix as a bench guy, but at this point I prefer Dickerson as a starter.
    According to UZR, Nix is a career +19.6 defender in CF in 1,714 innings.

He's supposed to be a good defender. He came up as a CF and UZR has him positive in his spotty time in the majors.

As for the hitting, I don't think a .800 OPS is out of reach in GABP. The projection systems viewed him as a .265/.320/.480 threat and I don't see that as unreasonable...

Re: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

I agree with OBM on this subject I to think Nix should get ALOT more playing time.Look I like Dickerson but facts are facts and Nix is playing 10 times better than Dickerson right now.You should always go with the hot hand if you want to win and right now that hot hand is Nix.He is knocking the cover off the ball and I think he should be in that starting lineup everyday atleast againist the righties.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Re: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Anyone else think Laynce Nix should start every day vs RHP, at least until he cools off? If he does. After tonight, Nix is hitting .310/.355/.621 - .976 with six extra-base hits (4 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR) in 29 atbats. He's always had the ability, but injuries have held him back. Who knows, maybe he's the next Ryan Ludwick or Nelson Cruz. I'm a big Dickerson fan, but Nix should get the bulk of the starts in left field vs right handers. Dickerson becomes the 4th outfielder and gets some starts in CF.

Also, it's time for the Reds to find another right handed bat to platoon in left field. Jerry Hairston Jr. just isn't getting it done. Jonny Gomes and Wes Bankston are probably the best in house options at this point.

One other thing, if Adam Rosales plays well at third base for the next three weeks, I'd start having EdE work out in left field. I really like what Rosales brings to the team.
    Perfectly reasonable on all counts.

Turn Off Ads?