Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Re: Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

Nix does not strike me as a legitimate full time player, but as a platoon guy, I'm all for it. I would prefer him over Hairston for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Nix does not strike me as a legitimate full time player, but as a platoon guy, I'm all for it. I would prefer him over Hairston for sure.
    Wrong side of the platoon. Would you prefer him over Dickerson? At this point, I would like to see Nix get a shot for awhile, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I've never known Dunn to play CF.

I could have sworn he played CF a few games in the minors. Maybe even a game while he was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Why?

IIRC there was a poll a few weeks ago about when Nix should get his first start. I answered never. I didn't think he should get the start over Dickerson, who I felt should be getting as many starts as possible. The more I watch Nix game the more I am impressed with it. He may be a fluke but his at bats are solid. He works the count, takes pitches, makes the pitcher work, and has been hitting line drives all over the place. Earlier this week I heard a stat that he was 2nd on the team in doubles to Joey Votto with his handful of at bats. With the exception of Votto, Nix has had the most impressive at bats of any Red.

Nix is 28 years old and once was a top prospect until he ran into a wall and hurt his shoulder. He is still relitively young, runs well, plays good defense, and has pop in his bat. Maybe the shoulder is finally healthy and Nix is ready to break out. Thats doubtful but until he proves otherwise I keep plugging him into the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Wrong side of the platoon. Would you prefer him over Dickerson? At this point, I would like to see Nix get a shot for awhile, myself.
    Yes I would actually. I'd prefer Dickerson platoon with Wily in CF (a longshot I know) and then the Reds bring up Dorn to platoon with Nix (an even BIGGER longshot) or find someone else to go with Nix in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why?

IIRC there was a poll a few weeks ago about when Nix should get his first start. I answered never. I didn't think he should get the start over Dickerson, who I felt should be getting as many starts as possible. The more I watch Nix game the more I am impressed with it. He may be a fluke but his at bats are solid. He works the count, takes pitches, makes the pitcher work, and has been hitting line drives all over the place. Earlier this week I heard a stat that he was 2nd on the team in doubles to Joey Votto with his handful of at bats. With the exception of Votto, Nix has had the most impressive at bats of any Red.

Nix is 28 years old and once was a top prospect until he ran into a wall and hurt his shoulder. He is still relitively young, runs well, plays good defense, and has pop in his bat. Maybe the shoulder is finally healthy and Nix is ready to break out. Thats doubtful but until he proves otherwise I keep plugging him into the lineup.
    I wouldn't say any stats back up my claim, he just doesn't strike me as a guy that can (or would) do well over 150 games. I do like him though and see him as an 80-90 game guy for sure.

Yes I would actually. I'd prefer Dickerson platoon with Wily in CF (a longshot I know) and then the Reds bring up Dorn to platoon with Nix (an even BIGGER longshot) or find someone else to go with Nix in LF.
    Dorn and Nix are both left handed hitters so platooning them wouldn't work.

I wouldn't say any stats back up my claim, he just doesn't strike me as a guy that can (or would) do well over 150 games. I do like him though and see him as an 80-90 game guy for sure.
    Can't argue with that. I just didn't know if their was concrete reason or not. I felt the same way earlier this year but have been impressed by his game so far this season.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

In the time I have watched the Reds this year, Dickerson looked nothing short of lost in most at bats.

Nix looks like he has a plan at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I could have sworn he played CF a few games in the minors. Maybe even a game while he was here.
    According to retrosheet.org, Adam Dunn has never played CF in the majors. Through 2008, he has made 949 appearances in LF, 127 at 1B, 82 in RF, and 10 at DH.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    According to retrosheet.org, Adam Dunn has never played CF in the majors. Through 2008, he has made 949 appearances in LF, 127 at 1B, 82 in RF, and 10 at DH.

Yeah. I was thinking it may have been in the minors. I wouldn't swear to it, though.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Nix looks like he has a plan at the plate.
    I have liked what I have seen from Nix so far this season, and I was not high on him during spring training. A buddy of mine who is a Cardinals fan says that Nix is a Jocketty-type of player--decent pedigree, either fallen on hard times or past his prime, and provides better-than-expected production at low cost. He says that he could be the Reds' version of Ryan Ludwick.

I would like to see Nix get regular AB's vs. RHP, at least while he is hot. I like Votto and Bruce in the #3-4 slots, so Nix would fit in nicely at #6 (Six?). I would also like to see Phillips in the #2 spot ahead of Votto vs. RHP. Having Joey hitting behind him (and Taveras hopefully on base) would likely result in more fastballs and better pitches to hit. Taveras' base-stealing ability also would lessen the possibility of Brandon hitting into a DP.

What I would like to see (at least in the immediate future):

vs. RHP
    Taveras cf
    Phillips 2b
    Votto 1b
    Bruce rf
    Hernandez c
    Nix lf
    Rosales 3b
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

vs. LHP
    Taveras cf
    Hairston lf
    Votto 1b
    Phillips 2b
    Bruce rf
    Hernandez c
    Rosales 3b
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

Should Laynce Nix get more playing time?

yes. he deserves it the way he has played. he should play LF vs RHP.
    Dickerson is going to have to fight with Taveras for playing time in CF.

The RH part of a LF platoon is missing. Hairston ain't getting it done. Time to get either Gomes or Bankston up from AAA.

EE is hurt right now. He won't be back for ~6 weeks I would guess.
    I would give this outfield a shot & play Rosales at 3B while EE is hurt.
    Unless we can swing a trade this is likely the best we have in house.

vs RHP:
    CF Dickerson (L) or Taveras
    3B Rosales
    1B Votto (L)
    RF Bruce (L)
    2B Phillips
    LF Nix (L)
    C Hernandez/Hanigan
    SS Gonzo/Janish

vs LHP:
    CF Taveras
    3B Rosales
    1B Votto (L)
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce (L)
    LF Gomes or Bankston
    C Hernandez/Hanigan
    SS Gonzo/Janish

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    yes. he deserves it the way he has played. he should play LF vs RHP.
    Dickerson is going to have to fight with Taveras for playing time in CF.

The RH part of a LF platoon is missing. Hairston ain't getting it done. Time to get either Gomes or Bankston up from AAA.
    I was thinking that the Reds could use a Glenn Braggs-type RH power bat as a 4th OF--someone who could be a platoon starter in LF with Nix (or Dickerson). Gomes would be a good choice.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Laynce Nix

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's not a small sample size with Jerry Hairston Jr. He has a career .698 OPS in 3,229 plate appearances at the major league level. Outside of 261 atbats last season, Hairston has proven he can't hit major league pitching.
    Wasn't it said that Hairston was battling numerous injuries for many years prior to last season? That last season was his first really "healthy" year (yes, I recall his DL stints last year). Isn't it possible that he found his stroke and turned a corner last year? If there really were lots of troublesome injuries prior to last season, shouldn't we look at the healthy AB's rather than the injured ones?

And to be clear, no I don't think he's as good as his numbers were last year. But I do think he's better than what his career numbers indicate.

Turn Off Ads?