Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nix and Rosales

Nix and Rosales

Who thinks these two should get a real shot at taking the LF and 3B jobs permanently? I know we have a small sample thus far, but I think that we may have something with these two.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Nix and Rosales

I think Nix has definitely earned some more time in LF with his play recently. I was glad he made the team out of spring training, and think it is a move that could really pay off.

Rosales will certainly get a good deal of playing time with EE out. Let's see how he does in this "audition". EE may be Wally Pipp'd.

I teach at the school where Lance Nix and his brother (Jayson-who is in the Rockies organization) played high school baseball. (Midland High School) Pretty cool to see him doing well for the Reds. Don't think he hits lefties too well or the breaking ball though.

They def both have earned the chance to compete, through their own performance, as well as the average-poor play, and injuries, of the starters at those spots. Now they have to continue to show they deserve it to stick....but I like what they have brought so far.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I remember another veteran, Buddy Bell, playing 3rd in the 80's. Then he got injured and Chris Sabo took over, and never looked back.

Wally Pipp. Rosales is one of those type pf guys that bring excitement to the whole team and stadium. He is an old school,down and dirty baseball player. He is a spark and if he continiues to be patient and hit around .300 for the next 10-13 games, he'll keep his position. He reminds me of Rose. His first plate appearance was a shot to deep lc and he sprinted the whole time until it was in the glove. When he received his walk, he sprinted to 1st. I love the hussle and those type of thing are contagious.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't think that Nix would be effective everyday, although he has played well to this point. I think its just a hot stretch. I think he's more comfortable out there then Dickerson, so he's an edge over him, but I think Hairston should split time with Nix. When guys like Nix play everyday, the opposition finds ways to make them hit .238

I do think Rosales is scrappy enough to play every day. I think he could be a .270 guy who could hit 15 bombs in a big league season, especially the way the ball flies at GABP.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Not sure about Nix but count me among those who would love to see Rosales more often. I love his energy, but more importanty, he is swinging the bat real well and hustling hard. Like Cowboy said last night, I dont care what level youre playing at, when youre seeing the ball, youre seeing the ball. And hitting .400 (or whatever it was in AAA) is seeing the ball.

His ABs last night showed plate discipline and tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    I remember another veteran, Buddy Bell, playing 3rd in the 80's. Then he got injured and Chris Sabo took over, and never looked back.
    To be fair, Buddy was 36 in 1988 and was coming off two good years, but was pretty much done by the end of 1988. Edwin is not that old and still has potential.

To be fair to Buddy, Edwin has not had a Buddy Bell career, even though some think he could be better than Buddy.

I am all for Rosales playing right now, I just don't think the situations are as similar.

Sabo fizzeled after a few years as well.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Rosales energy last night was fun to watch. I couldn't help but smile everytime he'd do something. He got a clutch rbi single. And then did what seemingly nobody else on the team can do........he hits a sac fly with bases loaded to knock in another run. Then he makes a great play to end the game........that was a bullet to first. Nice.

I love seeing guys that seem to appreciate being in the big leagues. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes it for granted.

As for Nix...........how many times is he going to fall for that inside breaking ball/off speed pitch? I did notice in his last at-bat where he sliced one deep to shortstop for an infield single that they tried to get him on that pitch, but he held off on it.........maybe he's learning. Yeah, I think he deserves more of a shot.

What can you say, both were key to our scoring last night. Without, we're possibly still tied at 0-0 this morning. LOL.

Laynce is the Maynce

IMO, Nix has played better than Dickerson and should be playing over him. I am a Rosales fan although he will have a tough time getting an infield spot. He has been fun to watch thus far. By keeping him up will they send McDonald down?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Dickerson looked like he knew what he was doing for about the first 2 games. Then he just fell apart. I like the guy, but it's just terrible watching him bat (I missed his errors). The more I see Nix and hear about his past, the more I think he might just be ready to break out and get back to the great career he started in Texas.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he ends up being the stud he started out to be, and maybe he even approaches what Hamilton is doing for Texas now. All while we still have Volquez. I know that's a lot to live up to, but a .290 hitter with 20 HR's and 60 RBI's would be more than we need from LF.

That would take playing time from Hairston, but I prefer him as the super sub, and not playing everyday, but spelling all around the team for 2-3 starts a week.

As far as Rosales goes. Please Pipp Encarnacion. I am so over Edwin. I just don't believe he will ever "get it". It starts with that look of pain on his face like he's going to cry all the time, and it ends with him hacking away at bad pitches. He was selective for about 3 games, then just fell back to his old ways. I will say he's played some great defense so far, but I just feel he is not what this team needs.

Rosales on the other hand is exactly what this team needs, as long as he can hit .270 and keep the fire lit.

If we don't make a major trade for a real RH bat for LF, I think these two guys will be needed to make this team even stronger. And don't forget, the young guys on this team all played with Adam coming up. I bet they would prefer him to the moody Encarnacion.

I like Nix as a fourth outfielder. I'd still start Dickerson because I like his upside a lot although he is struggling very bad early on. Dickerson has a good approach at the plate and gets on base at a pretty nice clip. It's a small sample but his obp is over 100 points higher than his average so far in his career (and if you want to see just how bad Taveras is realize that Dickerson's obp this season is 10 points below Taveras career obp) Now I am concerned with his defense so far this season.

If Rosales plays really well it will get very interesting. I would keep starting him but Edwin is a very capable player...it would be a good situation to have.

I'm fully onboard with the Rosales bandwagon... IMO, he makes EE expendable, and a young 3b with a decent back like EE should net a decent return if the Reds were to trade him.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?