Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Overall Farm System

Reds Overall Farm System

I probably should've just PM'd someone this question, but where does Baseball America and most minor league publications rank the Reds farm system? I've tried Googling and search baseball America's website, but i'm not a member.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Overall Farm System

Baseball America rates the Reds farm system as the 14th best in baseball.

OBM, Doug, or anybody else w/ better knowledge of this, do any of these sites rank systems based upon "young talent"? It seems the only reason to rank a farm system is to rank the future prospects of an organization by judging the likely future talent on that squad. Seems like there's something missing by not including the likes of Jay Bruce, Votto, Voltron, Cueto or Homer into the equation of the future reds vs the the future everybody elses.

I understand why BA does it the way they do, but it seems there is room for a better overall picture of the future of an organization and how it relates to other organizations.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    OBM, Doug, or anybody else w/ better knowledge of this, do any of these sites rank systems based upon "young talent"? It seems the only reason to rank a farm system is to rank the future prospects of an organization by judging the likely future talent on that squad. Seems like there's something missing by not including the likes of Jay Bruce, Votto, Voltron, Cueto or Homer into the equation of the future reds vs the the future everybody elses.

I understand why BA does it the way they do, but it seems there is room for a better overall picture of the future of an organization and how it relates to other organizations.
    I agree with this. It seems kind of silly to have a system ranked 3rd and then penalize it the next year, because it graduated it's prospects.

The prospects that have graduated should still be included in the organizational rankings. The team controls their rights for several more years.

I would think someone would eventually separate the two and rank based on talent within the entire organization with a side ranking of talent still in the minors. It only makes sense.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am pretty sure BP does a ranking like that.

Still, if you are just talking about a farm system ranking it should only count guys that count as 'prospects'.

Baseball Prospectus does a top 10 talents 25 and under for each team but I don't think they rank the organizations.

Project Prosect does the same thing.

Turn Off Ads?