Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Both guys have been at AAA for a while now and had a lot of success:

Roenicke: 47.1 IP, 2.66 ERA, 10.4 K/9, 2.6 BB/9

Maloney: 32 GS, 181.1 IP, 4.26 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 2.2 BB/9

There is really nothing to criticize about Roenicke's work. Strikes out a ton, good control. He gets a lot of ground balls too. Maloney's ERA is pretty pedestrian, but a K/BB rate of almost 4 is obviously great. He's been hurt by a lot of HRs and he does have slight fly ball tendencies, but not high enough to suggest his HR rate is going to stay sky high going forward.

Regardless of how you project their future success, I don't think either guy has a lot left to learn at AAA. Roenicke is 27, Maloney 25, so neither is all that young. So the question is, what happens to them? Will the Reds just let them sit in AAA? If I had to guess here's what I think will go down:

-Eventually someone in the pen (probably Lincoln) will get DFA'd and Roenicke will get the call. Or someone will go on the DL, Roenicke will come up, and pitch well enough that they don't want to send him back down. Either way, he'll finish 2009 as part of the Reds bullpen.

-Maloney gets traded before Opening Day 2010 (and goes on to have a solid career with his new team). I'm not sure how high the Reds are on him, and I think Bailey would be next in line anyways if Owings struggles or someone gets hurt. IMO the longer Maloney sits in AAA without making his major league debut, the lower his value goes. If the Reds are hanging around in July and decide they want to pretend they are contenders, I think they use Maloney as part of a package. If not, they deal him in the winter. Either way I don't think he's in the long-term plans.

Thoughts? Is Maloney a goner? Will the Reds wait til Roenicke is 30 to call him up?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Maloney will be an Athletic by August 1st......If you catch my drift.....

I think Maloney is trade bait at this point. He isnt really a better option than any of our in house because of age and just general stuff but hes still a good piece of a trade if you can get him. I dont think Maloney is losing any trade value or really gaining any. He's going to be a toss in on some deal someday. He's probably 5th or 6th on the depth chart when it comes to options in the minors for a spot start.

Roenicke, I doubt they do anything other than just let him pitch in AAA until they feel hes completely ready and will get innings at the major league level. The Reds at this point really are getting late into game from their starters so the bullpen innings are already limited.

I think Roenicke got barely beat out of making the opening day roster by Herrera. If there's a move to be made to bring up a reliever, it would be him. UNLESS, Fisher jumps ahead of him. Right now, I'd give the nod to Fisher as being most MLB ready at Louisville.

But for some reason, the Reds FO and I don't agree about things sometimes.

Roenicke has worse control thank Francisco Cordero, and like Cordero, I expect his walks to go up when he goes against more selective hitters at the Major League level. I love Roenicke's potential, but at the moment, he's too erratic for my liking--especially if a game is on the line. I definitely prefer Carlos Fisher at this point.

Maloney

Maloney needs to stay a Red.

The jury is still out on Owings & Bailey. Arroyo could/should go at the deadline of the Reds aren't really in contention.

The Reds are a small market team who haven't had a winning record in years.
    We need to keep the cheap young players. If Maloney can be a cheap MOR or BOR startes for a few years that is a plus for the Reds.

Re: Maloney

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

The jury is still out on Owings & Bailey. Arroyo could/should go at the deadline of the Reds aren't really in contention.

We need to keep the cheap young players. If Maloney can be a cheap MOR or BOR startes for a few years that is a plus for the Reds.
    I'd deal Maloney. The Reds are going to need to deal for a bat and some combination of players will need to include a near ready starter. IMO, Maloney is the choice. I don't deal Bailey for a rental, Thompson should be part of the plan in the pen and its doubtful anyone else would be acceptable to a trade partner (maybe Ramirez but he's off to a poor start so probably not). By the time the Reds cycle through Bailey, Masset and maybe Thompson if the team needs an arm later this year, its probable that at least one (maybe more) of the guys like Wood, Buck or Smith will be ready for a try. I think Maloney's combination of being close to ready and his limited long term value make him the logical guy to include in a package.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

Does Burton have any options? It may be wise to send him down for about two weeks and give Roenicke or Fisher a shot.

I think we will soon see a number of these major league ready prospects get packaged in a trade. The suggestion in this thread that the Reds may go for Holliday or another A's player is an astute observation IMO.

Homer Bailey is a high level talent and if he's getting it together I expect he's a keeper. You just don't trade a potential top level starting pitcher of age 22-23.

But everyone else is fair game, Maloney, Roenicke, etc. The Reds may be one or two players away from a good major league team and they have the assets to trade for those players.

Honestly, I would package either Maloney or Roenicke to go along with a Bronson and push for Matt Holliday....I know it might sound like alot but Oakland is gonna ask for at least that and draft picks.....You pick up MH with hopes that he pushes this team over the top and brings attendance up....If atendance goes up then managment will be more apt to keep some of our younger stars around..(i.e., Votto, Bruce, JC, EV,)....

12 hits in 8 innings for JR? Are these bleeders...bloops...rollers? That seems like a lot for a good fastball pitcher....especially one with so-so control.

Re: Maloney

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

I'm in full agreement. I think he'll be very useful throughout his cheap years, and since he is 25 and not in the bigs yet the Reds will control him into his early 30s. He's a guy where I think the production you could get from him is much higher than what he'd return in a trade. I may be alone on this but I think he's better than Micah Owings right now.

About Roenicke v. Fisher - I almost included Fisher in my post, but he hasn't been at AAA as long as the other two. He's also shown solid improvement from last season, so I didn't include him in the "nothing left to learn at AAA" category. I do agree though that he's pretty close to the bigs and could be up by season's end (though I'd guess Roenicke and Bray are both ahead of him on the depth chart).

I think Maloney is as ready as he will ever be no doubt about it. Roenicke I believe still has some things he can improve. I personally would use either or both for trade bait or I could go along with keeping Roenicke. But Maloney IMO is better off to us in a trade situation now before he steps foot on Major League soil because he will get hit farely hard at GABP. He's a guy I'd look to deal to a team like S.D. or L.A. they could use the arm and he's better suited for that mostly big park division.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think Maloney is as ready as he will ever be no doubt about it. Roenicke I believe still has some things he can improve. I personally would use either or both for trade bait or I could go along with keeping Roenicke. But Maloney IMO is better off to us in a trade situation now before he steps foot on Major League soil because he will get hit farely hard at GABP. He's a guy I'd look to deal to a team like S.D. or L.A. they could use the arm and he's better suited for that mostly big park division.
    I read this post to the end only to find that you had beaten me to the punch regarding Maloney. He will be an effective ML pitcher, but not in Cincinnati. Cultivating pitchers with ground ball tendencies seems to be an important part of the Reds plan. Moreover, the Reds organization has suddenly become deep in starting pitching. Taken together, these circumstances make Maloney an excellent candidate for a trade, especially if he has a good first half. If I had to guess, I would say that a Maloney for "Holliday rental" at the inter-league trade deadline is likely if the Reds are still in contention.

I favor keeping both Roenicke and Fisher. I think they are more valuable as bull pen depth than as trade bait. I would be surprised if both did not see time in Cincinnati this year.

I've more doubts at the moment about Matt Holliday than about the wisdom of dealing Maloney. To date, and the at-bats are at 90 and thus approaching meaningfulness, his line is .233/.281/.367/.648. Not a lot of help there.

Turn Off Ads?