Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Re: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Roenicke at 15 Ks and 0 walks after winning today's game. He gave up nothing so his ERA and FIP both improved.

Viola fanned four guys in 1.1 innings too.
    When I look in my crystal ball at the Reds future bullpen, this is what I see...

CL - Roenicke
    SU - Fisher
    SU - Viola
    MR - Burton
    MR - Bray
    LOOGY - Herrera
    ROOGY - Manuel

Nice. Lot of talent, plus the makeup is an excellent mix with 4 RH, 3 LH. Plus Stewart has to fit in there at some point down the road. Massett might stick around and there'll be options like Ramirez or Thompson who don't make it as starters
    Last edited by kpresidente; 05-10-2009 at 09:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    You really think the Reds trade for Matt Holiday? They will never sign the guy.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that statement. WJ has a penchant for trading for sluggers and signing them longterm. If he was making a move like picking up holiday in July we would have to be at least in WC contention and Castellini's pockets are deep. I could see him splurge and actually put his money where his mouth is to put the Reds in the post season.

Bob C is a business man at heart and understands that if you improve the product it sells at a greater rate. I could definitely see Holiday getting signed to a LTC here if we get to July with a record 7-10 games over .500.

The only real question at that point would be how we handle Votto and Alonso. I could easily see Votto becoming Youkillis in the sense that since he is such a hard worker he could easily pick up 3B when Yonder is ready.

Not to get the thread off track or anything

Onto the actual thread topic....

Roenicke is a stud when he has control. He is ready to take over Mike Lincoln's role as of right now. ML's mechanics are obviously out of sync atm and he could probably use a couple weeks down in Louisville (or just a DFA and be done with... not sure about his contract status either 1 or 2 year though)

I have been on the Maloney bandwagon since last July. Research my post history and it will prove it. He could easily be the 5th starter on this squad right now if it wasn't for Micah's outrageous bat. in 2008 8.5 k/9 vs a 2.5 BB/9 in triple a. in 2009 so far 6.8/1.2 K/bb per 9. for his career he is 9.00/3.01 KK/BB

Maloney's biggest downfall is his stuff isn't "sexy" in terms of minor league prospects and as a result he is now 25 and hasn't had a cup of Joe to date.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 05-11-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Maloney is a AAAA pitcher. If someone would bite on him + ? for a hitter I'd jump.
    I hear that a lot from people....saying someone is AAAA. There's really no such thing.

A Major League career is a Major League career, whether it's 100 AB's or 10,000 AB's.

A person can have a career like Joe Thurston (look him up on your own through www.thebaseballcube.com if you aren't VERY familiar with him, as I noticed George Grande made a fool of himself by calling him a rookie Saturday Night). Thurston has been serviceable in the Majors for the last 7 years, always being that 25th guy, but he's put up some good numbers, better than most players do during their 1st 600 AB's in the Majors.

You don't have to be an everyday player to contribute positively to a team, and you don't know which year a player who's not destined to remain in the Majors for a long time will deliver you a season or half of a season of serviceable major-league caliber play.

There are the rare circumstances where you can say someone's upside is dominating AAA pitching, but they can't hit Major League pitching. 100% of the time, this is because they can dominate a fastball at the AAA level, but they can't hit the changeup at the Major League level.

I suppose the same could be said about a Pitcher, who could get most of the AAA pitchers out because he has one good pitch that he gets consistently over the plate for a strike, but at the Major League level, it won't work because ML'er's can sit on the pitch and force him to get another one over the plate. If he can't do that, then he's a dominant AAA pitcher who can't pitch in the Majors, but he's not a AAAA pitcher.

In the case of Maloney, he's not that guy.

For 90% of the pitchers, it takes two, three or four years to pitch in the Majors before they see any kind of success. Don't judge Maloney on the small cup of coffee he's had in Spring Training. It's not indicative to what he'll do this year.

If there is a need, he deserves to be brought up 1st more than any other player for the REDS.

He's dominating again tonight. 8K's, 0 BB's, 0 Runs through 5.

What's cool about being a REDS' fan the past couple of years, especially now, is I don't have to worry about this stuff anymore. We actually have a complete organization that will choose the right time for the right player when it comes to moves upwards and downwards. We have such a great AAA Manager, and our scouting and player development is top-notch at the moment. I know Rick Sweet isn't the "Pitching Coach" down, there, but he brings a lot of good advice to his minor league pitchers whereever he's been. I know that he's got to be a positive for Maloney, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't said something or done something with Maloney that has had a positive effect on him this season.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I hear that a lot from people....saying someone is AAAA. There's really no such thing.

A Major League career is a Major League career, whether it's 100 AB's or 10,000 AB's.
    Brandon Larson AAAA player. Killed AAA couldn't hit a lick in the bigs.

That said I think Maloney has a future as a #5, LR or Loogy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm guessing he couldn't hit a Major League changeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm guessing he couldn't hit a Major League changeup.
    Actually I always though his bat was slow. Easier to hit a FB when you are sitting on one because the guy has very few solid offerings he can throw for strikes in AAA, the bigs everything is a strike practically. But I am not positive as to his actual problem. Seems to me if you can hit a FB you can hit a changeup just need some good instruction and practice.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Actually I always though his bat was slow. Easier to hit a FB when you are sitting on one because the guy has very few solid offerings he can throw for strikes in AAA, the bigs everything is a strike practically. But I am not positive as to his actual problem. Seems to me if you can hit a FB you can hit a changeup just need some good instruction and practice.
    Hmmm....I'm not sure about that. If you have a big, loopy swing you can knock the cover off a fastball. It's just a matter of timing. You'll never touch an off-speed pitch if you don't shorten up, though.

Players signed by Bob Filotei:

Player Name Position High Level Signed Year Signing Team Region
    Brent Carter P A+ 2005 San Diego Padres Alabama
    Nathan Culp P A+ 2006 San Diego Padres Missouri
    Drew Cumberland SS A 2007 San Diego Padres Florida
    Brooks Dunn P A+ 2006 San Diego Padres Mississippi
    David Freese 3B AAA 2006 San Diego Padres Alabama
    Brandon Gomes P A+ 2007 San Diego Padres Louisiana
    Tommy King 2B AAA 2006 San Diego Padres South Carolina
    Brandon Larson 3B MLB 1997 Cincinnati Reds Louisiana
    John Madden P AAA 2005 San Diego Padres Alabama
    Brad Salmon P MLB 1999 Cincinnati Reds Alabama

Thought this was interesting. This scout only signed 4 players, but not a bad collection:

Players signed by Alex Smith

Player Name Position High Level Signed Year Signing Team Region

Bill Bray P MLB 2004 Montreal Expos Virginia
    Brett Sellers OF Rookie 2008 Washington Nationals Virginia
    Daryl Thompson P MLB 2003 Montreal Expos Maryland
    Ryan Zimmerman IF MLB 2005 Washington Nationals Virginia

Not sure what this had to do with anything, but a few years ago I was down at spring training and the Reds were playing pepper. It was one of Bob Boone's gimmicks. Now, pepper isn't hard. I was never a great hitter, but in a game of pepper I could slap the ball straight to anybody I cared to. Brandon Larson couldn't do that. He couldn't chop the ball into the ground. Often, he couldn't even make contact. I was astonished. Like I said, I don't know how that translates into major-league hitting, but it certainly seemed like there was some sort of significant shortcoming there.

Turn Off Ads?