Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Re: Roenicke and Maloney, MLB ready?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I read this post to the end only to find that you had beaten me to the punch regarding Maloney. He will be an effective ML pitcher, but not in Cincinnati. Cultivating pitchers with ground ball tendencies seems to be an important part of the Reds plan. Moreover, the Reds organization has suddenly become deep in starting pitching. Taken together, these circumstances make Maloney an excellent candidate for a trade, especially if he has a good first half. If I had to guess, I would say that a Maloney for "Holliday rental" at the inter-league trade deadline is likely if the Reds are still in contention.
    I do agree that the Reds should favor ground ball guys as a general rule. However, on the Reds current rotation, only Volquez is more of a ground ball guy than Maloney is. Over their careers Harang, Arroyo, and Cueto have been around where I expect Maloney to be, and Owings is a more extreme fly ball pitcher than all of them. So it is definitely possible to succeed in GABP without ground ball tendencies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've more doubts at the moment about Matt Holliday than about the wisdom of dealing Maloney. To date, and the at-bats are at 90 and thus approaching meaningfulness, his line is .233/.281/.367/.648. Not a lot of help there.
    He's hitting in a huge ballpark. He could do some big things in GABP. On the road might be a bit of a different story, but I would still love him in our lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    He's hitting in a huge ballpark. He could do some big things in GABP. On the road might be a bit of a different story, but I would still love him in our lineup.
    I think there's real danger in letting GABP always be a compensating factor when we evaluate players. That way, we'll tend not to get the better players we should have if we had held those who play for us to higher standards. We'll have players with reasonably good looking stats but we won't have the much better players we could have if we factored out the GABP inflation, particularly in home runs. So unless Holliday shows a lot more in Oakland, I'm not much excited about giving up anything to bring him to GABP on the grounds that he'll produce here. Better to bring up a Bankston or Gomes and let GABP work for them at much less cost to us.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Well, I'm fine with trading for Holliday. It's the home games the Reds can't win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've more doubts at the moment about Matt Holliday than about the wisdom of dealing Maloney. To date, and the at-bats are at 90 and thus approaching meaningfulness, his line is .233/.281/.367/.648. Not a lot of help there.
    I agree. I recall some earlier discussions in which the pro-Holliday posters argued that a switch to GABP from Coors would be a push. In his defense, he has moved to different league and a tougher hitter's park. Still, his minor league numbers were very ordinary. His career outside of Denver is unremarkable. I used him as a trade possibility because 1) WJ was rumored to be interested in him during the off season, and 2) Oakland is likely to want to dump salary and get a decent return.

Sadly, even with his current numbers, he could play LF and hit cleanup and be an improvement.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'd be all for Holliday, I have no concerns about him doing just fine here in GABP and the NL. As RVH rightly pointed out he moved to not only a pitchers park but to a league where he must now get acclimated to the differences. We all know he has to learn new pitchers but more than that a new approach the AL has a more aggressive approach what with the DH and all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Maloney should get the first call up whenever that happens to be, though it may not be for at least another month, if no one gets injured. He earned it last year, and is earning it this year.

Maloney is a AAAA pitcher. If someone would bite on him + ? for a hitter I'd jump.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Maloney is a AAAA pitcher. If someone would bite on him + ? for a hitter I'd jump.
    Agree. I'd be trying to sell the idea to Washington with Willingham as the target.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Maloney will be an Athletic by August 1st......If you catch my drift.....
    You really think the Reds trade for Matt Holiday? They will never sign the guy.
    Who's on first?

For the record, Roenicke isn't exactly putting up stellar numbers in Louisville. Maloney isn't exactly killing it either.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For the record, Roenicke isn't exactly putting up stellar numbers in Louisville. Maloney isn't exactly killing it either.
    Don't let the ERA fool you.

Roenicke's got a 0.65 FIP, 14 K vs. 0 BB in 10 innings, 1 XBP allowed, and a 50/20 GB%. Problem is his BABiP against is a cool .500. He's pretty much dominating.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

Roenicke's got a 0.65 FIP, 14 K vs. 0 BB in 10 innings, 1 XBP allowed, and a 50/20 GB%. Problem is his BABiP against is a cool .500. He's pretty much dominating.
    Yeah. Roenicke 14 K and 0 BB, Maloney 23 K and 4 BB (FIP = 3.37). Those two have been pretty awesome to start 2009.

Matt is starting to hit homers again. Maybe ..like it was said...he needed to learn the pitchers a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

Roenicke at 15 Ks and 0 walks after winning today's game. He gave up nothing so his ERA and FIP both improved.

Viola fanned four guys in 1.1 innings too.

Turn Off Ads?