This is a kid we don't discuss much on this forum, but I notice he's off to a good start as a lead-off guy at Sarasota. Its interesting that he has 7 walks in 41 PAs and has a .290/.463/.452/.915 line. I've considered Kahaulelio more of an organizational guy than a big league prospect, but his start would seem to at least merit a little discussion on the kid. Here is what I know:

He hits and throws Right-Handed, he'll be 24 in June and was a 20th round pick in the 2007 draft. He tore his ACL and his meniscus in a run-down drill shortly after being drafted which wiped out his 2007 season. Last year he split the year between Dayton and Sarasota and in 296 combined ABs he put up a line of .257/.323/.375/.698. (His OPS was .871 in 106 AB vs LH Pitching and his LD rate was 50% better versus lefties.)

The fact that the Reds chose him to be the lead-off guy after a season like that makes me wonder if they expect more from him and his 2008 line was more due to recovery from injury than it is a reflection of his true talent level. I honestly don't know, but I find it interesting that the Reds started him off in Dayton and didn't have him spend any time at Billings in 2008.

Anyone have anything to add about this kid?