Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Defensive gems

Defensive gems

Props to AGon for that catch he made in short LF.
    Props to Phillips for another great play behind 2B, with the in the air throw to 1B.
    Props to Votto for a nice grab at 1B to steal a double from Pitt.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Defensive gems

On the subject of defense, did you know that Bruce is the fourth best fielder (in any position) according to UZR and UZR/150?

How can you calculate something like that? I mean it can't take into account balls that maybe a average outfielder tracks down, or what balls they should've caught but didn't get. Something like that doesn't flatter me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    How can you calculate something like that? I mean it can't take into account balls that maybe a average outfielder tracks down, or what balls they should've caught but didn't get. Something like that doesn't flatter me.
    Of course not--You're not Jay Bruce.
    Seriously, though, that does seem kind of nebulous. I have been impressed overall with the defense this year, however.

Jay Bruce has definitely played phenomenal defense this season... He's made a ton of diving catches, and thrown a few ropes to get guys out.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Props to AGon for that catch he made in short LF.
    Props to Phillips for another great play behind 2B, with the in the air throw to 1B.
    Props to Votto for a nice grab at 1B to steal a double from Pitt.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin

Turn Off Ads?