Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Holliday

Matt Holliday

So were his numbers jacked playing in Colorado, or is it just a slow start? He went 0-7 today and is batting .233.

Beane is thinking he has a kings ransom waiting in trade later this season for this guy. It will be funny if Holliday doesn't do well, and then they get very little for him.
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Holliday

Still fairly early and could be a slow start, but there were plenty of predictors that Holliday's numbers would drop once he was playing his home games somewhere other than Coors Field. His home/away splits showed a real dropoff in his numbers on the road.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

Its too early to tell, i would still love to aquire him for Bailey

I just think it's a slow start, he's hit at least .320 in each of the last three seasons including a .340 season in there and there are two seasons of over .400 OBP... he is still an elite player and the Reds would not be able to get him cheap, he will probably not hit 30 homers this season because of his exit from Coors(though I believe he would put up excellent numbers in GAB) No way Homer alone would get it done, I'd love to have him though but not for a rental

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Lot of guys off to relatively slow starts this year....Holliday, Wright, Braun, Hamilton, etc.

Too early to declare him a product of Coors Field. He'll get it together.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Bleeding Red in the South

If we could find a way to sign him to a LTC before pulling the trigger I'd send Homer + over in a heartbeat.

Not going to happen, but man it's fun to dream.

Switching leagues could be a factor with his slow start.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I wonder too what it would take to get Holliday. I'm getting a little nervous about what the Reds are planning to do with Alonso, seeing as how Votto has turned into a stud both offensively and defensively at first base, and it seems more and more like Yonder won't be playing in the outfield. Would you pull a Homer + Alonso trade for Holliday, or is that too much? I think I would do it.

Bleeding Red in the South

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Switching leagues could be a factor with his slow start.
    Tons of factors, but at the end of the day he'd be a .310, 30, 120 guy in our lineup in our park. I'd overpay to get the guy. Homer, Alonso (when he's eligible to be traded), and Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I wonder too what it would take to get Holliday. I'm getting a little nervous about what the Reds are planning to do with Alonso, seeing as how Votto has turned into a stud both offensively and defensively at first base, and it seems more and more like Yonder won't be playing in the outfield. Would you pull a Homer + Alonso trade for Holliday, or is that too much? I think I would do it.
    if we are able to sign him before the trade is made then yes, but if we give those two guys up and he ends up being a FA and walks away it would be a bad trade for the Reds, plus he is a Boras client so he is going to want to test the FA Market

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I agree about the sign him first thing, but I have a feeling that Boras will want to get him to sign a LTC via a trade rather than test the free agent market next year which is stacked with big-name outfielders — Guerrero, Bay, Crawford, Ramirez, Ordonez, Dye, Abreu, Matsui to name a few.

Now granted, that LTC may need to be 6 years or so, but for a 30-year-old outfielder with power to stick between Bruce and Votto for the next five years, I don't think that's out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    If we could find a way to sign him to a LTC before pulling the trigger I'd send Homer + over in a heartbeat.

Not going to happen, but man it's fun to dream.
    I could see the A's wanting a package of Homer Bailey, Adam Rosales, Drew Stubbs and Matt Maloney. Something along those lines. It will probably take 3-4 players and include Bailey and even Rosales (as he is a guy I think the A's would like). But I think the Reds could get it done if they really wanted to.

- This all of course assuming the A's fall out of the race.

Holliday certainly has different numbers away from Coors but he has steadily improved through the years and his recent numbers are not bad. Here are his away OPS numbers for his career.

2004 .654
    2005 .729
    2006 .819
    2007 .860
    2008 .892

That .892 in 2008 carried over a full season would have ranked him 12th in the NL in OPS. He now can hit just fine away from Coors Field. He'll pull out of this slump.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 05-04-2009 at 02:38 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd like to acquire him if we can stay close. He is exactly what we need, and even with his struggles he takes us from a subpar lineup to possibly one of the elite. He'd fit perfectly in our ballpark and playing with Bruce and Votto.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I could see the A's wanting a package of Homer Bailey, Adam Rosales, Drew Stubbs and Matt Maloney. Something along those lines. It will probably take 3-4 players and include Bailey and even Rosales (as he is a guy I think the A's would like). But I think the Reds could get it done if they really wanted to.

- This all of course assuming the A's fall out of the race.
    Those aren't names that jump out at you immediately, until you really analyze them:

Homer Bailey - former 1st round draft pick and highly rated prospect who is lately showing flashes of why.
    Rosales - risen from nowhere and shown he has nothing left to prove in the minors as he was leading about every category before he came up to the bigs. (wish the A's would take EE instead)
    Stubbs - former 1st round draft pick, solid defensively but still hasn't put it together offensively.
    Maloney - a triple e.r.a. below 3.00, and he's a lefty.

That's our two best pitching prospects right now, 2 former #1 picks, a league leading triple AAA player now with the Reds (Rosales), and a triple A lefty doing very well this year. Actually, not a bad haul for the A's. Probably atleast 3 major leaguers in there.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?