Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 International signing period

Re: 2009 International signing period

What do we know about Pena? When do Duran and Y-Rod start up this season?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    What do we know about Pena? When do Duran and Y-Rod start up this season?
    Not much about Pena and in about a month when the GCL starts for Duran and Rodriguez.

If Sano signs in Cincinnati, all signs of surprise shall be surfeited simply because Sano is a super prospect. Seriously, Sano is almost sure-fire.

All kidding aside, I love that the Reds are working on finding great players in Latin America and that kids from that area of the world are willing and wanting to go to Ohio. If Sano signs, that gives the Reds some serious street cred. And a great player, hopefully, to pair with Duran and Rodriguez.

Add in Sulburan, Lotzkar, Hillenbrandt, Wideman, and Soto and the Reds should have a distinct worldy flavor in the next 5-10 years.

The Reds might as well sign him... IF they offered Inoa more money than anyone... They will probably do the same with Sano... I hope they do... This team needs deals like this!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Reds made a huge splash last year. My guess is they dial it back this year.
    I agree. I expect very little this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree. I expect very little this year.
    Baseball America and BP both disagree. They think the Reds are in it for the long haul. Kiley McDaniel says the Reds are currently pursuing two of the best bats available.

Kiley McDaniel says the Reds are currently after two of the best bats available.
    Nice to hear. Names?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Great. Hopefully they at least drive up the price and hurt the competition in the pocketbook, at the very least.

Still, I don't expect they make a big splash. I hope I'm wrong.

With that said, I'm very content with what they did in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Nice to hear. Names?
    Miguel Angel Sano and Jose Pena.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=15

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Great. Hopefully they at least drive up the price and hurt the competition in the pocketbook, at the very least.

Still, I don't expect they make a big splash. I hope I'm wrong.

With that said, I'm very content with what they did in 2008.
    I agree they seem to be awfully cost conscious all of a sudden since the economy took a nosedive.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree they seem to be awfully cost conscious all of a sudden since the economy took a nosedive.
    And as they have said this year... they made their cuts on the non baseball side of things, not on the baseball side of things. I imagine they have X amount of dollars for signing players this year between the draft and international market and I doubt the economy had much to do with that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And as they have said this year... they made their cuts on the non baseball side of things, not on the baseball side of things. I imagine they have X amount of dollars for signing players this year between the draft and international market and I doubt the economy had much to do with that budget.
    I am seeing several things that could be construed as saving $$$'s on the baseball side of things. Maybe they are assumptions on my part but I feel they are pretty strong ones.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I am seeing several things that could be construed as saving $$$'s on the baseball side of things. Maybe they are assumptions on my part but I feel they are pretty strong ones.
    Such as?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Such as?
    Such as the big RH bat they were after until the economy took a nosedive. Yeah they said they had interest in getting that bat it wasn't just speculation, but then all of a sudden after the downturn they got frugal in a hurry. I believe they even intimated as much. The payroll being less than last years was an example of that. This ultra conservative approach to roster moves, I am assuming having to bump a guys salary up from AAA dollars to major league ones have something to do with running so short the past few weeks. I'm sure I am missing something else but can't remember what exactly. All I know is it's not hard to read between the lines, and I am done with allowing them to play Spin Dr. with me.

--Woody Hayes

Such as the big RH bat they were after until the economy took a nosedive. Yeah they said they had interest in getting that bat it wasn't just speculation, but then all of a sudden after the downturn they got frugal in a hurry. I believe they even intimated as much. The payroll being less than last years was an example of that. This ultra conservative approach to roster moves, I am assuming having to bump a guys salary up from AAA dollars to major league ones have something to do with running so short the past few weeks. I'm sure I am missing something else but can't remember what exactly. All I know is it's not hard to read between the lines, and I am done with allowing them to play Spin Dr. with me.
    You're right, it is not too difficult to read into the direction we are headed and where certain funds are going to be allocated. With us hanging right into the thick of the race it may come down to adding a major league contributor or being a player in the international market. I am certain that Bob has money to spend in one regard or the other as we all know that he is not a complacent man. I just hope Walt has a plan in place to continue to build the farm through international signings and drafting regardless of the state of the big league team, and Bob feels the same way as that is the only way we will stay competitive for a long period of time.
    Now is the time to buy, the market is low and we are in the thick of the race. If Bob were to open his wallet in both the international signings and with the acquisition of a big bat this franchise would take a big step forward once again. We need to further extend our window of talent and the only way to step forward from other franchises is by making a big splash in the international market.

Turn Off Ads?