Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2009 International signing period

Re: 2009 International signing period

That's a premium info from BA. You may want to delete it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

11:36 am What are the chances of the Reds signing Humberto Valor, the VZ shortstop? Are the Reds in on anymore July 2nd prospects?

bob_miller:
    11:38 am We have made major strides in signing great Latin talent over the past few years. We have seen all of the best talent down there and expect to be in the hunt for several of the better players

http://www.forums.mlb.com/ml-cinevent/chat?redirCnt=1

Just a reminder, players can begin signing at midnight tonight, though most teams won't announce their signings until tomorrow or later.

If it's Valor and Cabrera, I'd consider that a nice haul- nothing like last year, but still a nice haul.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would think that last years IFA class would be considered a rare haul. Getting two top talents from the LA market is fine by me, and if the Reds can keep it up year after year then they should be in good shape for years down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Didn't we once have a SS from VZ, that worked out pretty good.

Hope it happens.
    Actually, the Reds still have Alex Gonzalez.

From Jorge Arangure:

#Yankees, #Braves, #Brewers and #Marlins also have interest in Ferreira. #Reds, #Tigers, #Pirates, #Astros also have intrest in Peņa.

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

That's Kirby Pena, a LHP expected to receive a $700-800k bonus.

From Ben Badler:

#Yankees making their moves. Hearing Dominican RHP Christopher Cabrera to the Yankees for $400K

http://twitter.com/BenBadler

$400K? That's all? The Reds need to come in and offer 600K. If the Yanks want to get in a bidding war, fine, let them have him. But at least make a better offer than that.

Jorge Arangure:

#Reds appear to be inching ahead of #Braves in fight for VZ SS Humberto Valor.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jorge Arangure:

#Reds appear to be inching ahead of #Braves in fight for VZ SS Humberto Valor.

Just proves that baseball really is a game of inches.

We shouldn't spend more than $3,500 on a LA player, because that's all it took to sign Cueto .

BREAKING: DR OF Jose Alberto Peņa will sign with the #Brewers. Bonus amount coming info coming...

wow the Reds need to offer more than that 400K or so for Cabrera he is easily worth 600K-800K or more really

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    wow the Reds need to offer more than that 400K or so for Cabrera he is easily worth 600K-800K or more really
    And they would if they weren't pinching pennies, they can spin anything they want though, again Walt is master of the spin job. I suppose someone will suggest that maybe he wasn't worth it. But I foresee them coming up mostly empty and claiming they were just outbid this year, but they will get 1 or 2 parting gifts (low ticket prospects) to show they didn't come away completely empty. At last check we seem to be ahead for Valor which between he, Marrero and Perez we have the money I presume after that Barnhart and then zilch is my guess. Then the trading period (and what money we cut loose of) may determine how much we try to do before August 17th.

I hate being pessimistic but since they tightened their belts in the offseason they have seemingly watched every penny very closely and have done nothing to disprove they are being frugal right now. Which heck even that's ok it's their money but don't blow smoke up my butt and expect me to enjoy it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Wasn't there a bunch of belly aching that we were being cheap during the draft only for us to sign a handful of guys above slot and the one guy everyone was clamoring for had a torn up shoulder? Oh how quickly some forget. Just let things play out and get all the info before anyone should start to complain.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?