Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2009 International signing period

Re: 2009 International signing period

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And they would if they weren't pinching pennies, they can spin anything they want though, again Walt is master of the spin job. I suppose someone will suggest that maybe he wasn't worth it. But I foresee them coming up mostly empty and claiming they were just outbid this year, but they will get 1 or 2 parting gifts (low ticket prospects) to show they didn't come away completely empty. At last check we seem to be ahead for Valor which between he, Marrero and Perez we have the money I presume after that Barnhart and then zilch is my guess. Then the trading period (and what money we cut loose of) may determine how much we try to do before August 17th.

I hate being pessimistic but since they tightened their belts in the offseason they have seemingly watched every penny very closely and have done nothing to disprove they are being frugal right now. Which heck even that's ok it's their money but don't blow smoke up my butt and expect me to enjoy it.
    You say all this because of MAYBE being outbid by the YANKEES?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to Kiley McDaniel, the Yankees will not sign RHP Christopher Cabrera. That leaves the Reds, Red Sox, and Braves as his likely destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    You say all this because of MAYBE being outbid by the YANKEES?
    Just feel like it's a preview of things to come. Outbid by whomever for Cabrera, outbid by whomever for Kepler, outbid by whomever for Valor etc.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just feel like it's a preview of things to come. Outbid by whomever for Cabrera, outbid by whomever for Kepler, outbid by whomever for Valor etc.
    I think you said this after the Leake pick. I said calm down and see if we go above slot later. We did.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Yankees DID sign Christopher Cabrera.

11:07 AM: Three more signings to report, two for less money than expected and one for what I expected. The Brewers have inked RF Jose Pena for $400,000, the Yankees have signed RHP Chris Cabrera for $400,000, and it was confirmed that the Yankees reached a deal with SS Damian Arredondo for $850,000. Sanchez, Arredondo and Cabrera will be the only three signings by the Yankees today, so Jose Osuna apparently will not sign with the Yankees. Two reactions to these pieces of news:

1. Steal by the Brewers. I had a chance to see Pena in action and while some of the $1 million talk could have been misinformation or marketing by people trying to pump his value, $400k is a very nice buy here for Milwaukee.

2. Turns out it wasn’t exactly $4 million the Yankees were going to spend, but actually $4.25 (or so, with the Sanchez bonus being a slight gray area). Cue Yankee blogs discussing whether this was some sort of statement by the club about Ynoa’s price last year and whether they’d take Ynoa or the Sanchez/Arredondo/Cabrera trio.

11:10 AM: A source close to the situation says that 21-year-old Cuban LHP Aroldis Chapman indeed has defected. There were conflicting reports about the accuracy of a report about this story yesterday.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1327

Sure would've been nice to see the Reds jump in and offer about $600k for Pena.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-02-2009 at 11:29 AM.

From what i hear, Valor won't likely be signing this week. Heard there were a lot of teams who attended his workout this week

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

On Valor, the Reds need to get Venezuelas SS legends Concepcion and Gonzo to do a little recruiting, if it's not all "dollar wins the day."

How many international prospects are expected to sign?

12:05 PM: A few teams have checked in with me to say that they won’t confirm signings until physical are passed, contracts approved by MLB, any pending investigations are completed, etc. Some of these clubs have recently signed guys with falsified ages (lots of teams have), so they just don’t want it out there until they’re as certain as they can be that all their ducks are in a row, which is completely understandable. That combined with a number of guys not signing on July 2nd for other reasons (covered in today’s article) will make the release of confirmed signings and bonus amounts a slow trickle. Maybe I should start eating and sleeping again.

#Reds top target is Humberto Valor and he isn't likely to sign today

http://twitter.com/home?status=@kile...ly_to=kileymcd

3:28 PM: This might be the last update of the day. Talked to some agents and clubs and it seems like all of this morning’s news was stuff that was done days or weeks ago and we’re now into a secondary market of sorts. Negotiations are just now heating up with this next group of players, but not much movement is expected today. The second and third tier players are now fielding offers from teams that are formulating their final answers after watching the elite guys line up and set the market. It’s a similar to how lots of draft picks in sports like football or basketball won’t sign until the guy ahead of them sets a ceiling they can negotiate under. It’s almost like there’s a second signing period that will open up in a day or two with teams currently getting their boards finalized and sending out offers while agents search for the best deal. Of course now that I’ve said that I’m sure 30 deals will get done in the next 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    We shouldn't spend more than $3,500 on a LA player, because that's all it took to sign Cueto .
    Supposedly, that number was a typo, and he was actually signed for 10 times more than what was reported. I can't find the quote, but Wayne Krivsky said it.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Supposedly, that number was a typo, and he was actually signed for 10 times more than what was reported. I can't find the quote, but Wayne Krivsky said it.
    $35K I think was the number. Still, not a bad signing!

From Ben Badler:

July 2 signing: #Twins sign German OF Max Kepler. Bonus not available but it should be new European bonus record

http://twitter.com/BenBadler

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Ben Badler:

July 2 signing: #Twins sign German OF Max Kepler. Bonus not available but it should be new European bonus record

http://twitter.com/BenBadler
    Boy, we're pretty much 0fer. Hope they used the money they've saved in the international market to get Marrero, Perez, Barnhart, and Fowler.

Would be very nice to catch a surprise and get Chapman. That guy is nasty.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?