Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The eloquence of Mister Dusty Baker

The eloquence of Mister Dusty Baker

Per John Fay's Cincy Enquirer Red's Blog....

Dusty on Nix v. Dickerson

Dusty Baker knows that a lot of people in fan land would like to see Laynce Nix in left field.

"But the fans don't make out the lineup," Baker said. "Nix is going to play. Fans didn't even know who Nix was when we got him. You're not going to play him over Jay Bruce or Willy Taveras. That leaves left field. Who's got more talent than Chris Dickerson? Last year, Dickerson was the fair-haired boy. People wanted me to play him everyday against right- and left-handers."

It's a small sample but Nix has outplayed Dickerson so far. Nix is hitting .333 with a home run and three RBI in 30 at-bats. He's 4-for-his-last-7 and has scored a run in his last five appearances. Dickerson is hitting .204 with a home home run and five RBI in 49 at-bats. Nix has no errors, Dickerson has three.

Baker tends to stick with players longer than fans would like. He won't take a position away based on a small sample.

"I ain't no front-runner," he said.

"I had Nix in today to talk to him," Baker said. "When he came here, he knew the situation. We brought him in as an extra outfielder. I told him: Stay read. I'll play you enough to keep you sharp. He's very valuable coming off the bench. I still think he can be an everyday player. You don't want it to happen but sometimes you've got to let a guy play his way out before you put another guy in."

There's also fan sentiment to play Paul Janish and Ryan Hanigan more.

"I like the whole team," Baker said. "You can't play everybody. You play eight at a time and keep the rest sharp."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The eloquence of Mister Dusty Baker

Yawn... I don't see the point you're trying to prove.

"Fans didn't even know who Nix was when we got him."

Lol at that comment and him talking down to fans too.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    "Fans didn't even know who Nix was when we got him."

Lol at that comment and him talking down to fans too.
    Most fans didn't know anything about Nix, it's true. And hes right, fans don't make the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Most fans didn't know anything about Nix, it's true. And hes right, fans don't make the lineup.
    I think that if there were entire message board threads questioning my every move move at work, I might be just a little salty at time.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

people on this site = what have you done for me lately

if a player is on fire, they love him

playing terrible = get em outta here

(just look at jay bruce, and volquez)

RotoHester

Wait, there's more:

Fans aren’t going to like this one, either.

Baker called Jerry Hairston Jr. (.159) into his office Monday to tell him he would be playing third base Tuesday and Wednesday instead of Adam Rosales (.417), “And I called Rosales into my office, too, to tell him,” said Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    people on this site = what have you done for me lately

if a player is on fire, they love him

playing terrible = get em outta here

(just look at jay bruce, and volquez)
    I bet you can't find one post on this entire message board saying that Bruce should be gone.

i dont think anyone wanted bruce gone BUT what does this tell you about how reds fans take small sample sizes way out of proportion

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75009

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    Wait, there's more:

Fans aren’t going to like this one, either.

Baker called Jerry Hairston Jr. (.159) into his office Monday to tell him he would be playing third base Tuesday and Wednesday instead of Adam Rosales (.417), “And I called Rosales into my office, too, to tell him,” said Baker.

It's not even the move of Rosales that gets me, its Hairston continually doing nothing when he is in. If he does start Tues and Wed and does nothing, I'm gonna be completely fed up and done with him.

Is it just me or does Dusty seem to know a little too well what the fans think of him?I wonder if fans just walk up to Dusty and tell him that Nix should play more or that Phillips shouldn't be batting fourth and so on.Maybe he actually spends a little time in places like the Redszone.

Either way I guess its good that at least Baker knows what the fans are thinking because most of the time the fans haven't a clue what he's thinking.Thanks for at least trying to explain yourself though Dusty.

I don't disagree with what Dusty is saying there. Laynce Nix is not going to make the Reds any better. Dickerson could if he started hitting and someone showed him how to catch... Really, the Reds would have to acquire a LFer to improve at that position in my opinion.

As far as Hairston goes....well, last year was a mirage and I agree that Rosales should get a chance to play everyday while EE is out.

Bum

No worries about Hairston. His body doesn't historically hold up to playing so many games in a row. He'll be on the DL for something soon, just like he has every other season of his career.

I believe the Reds have a number of interchangeable players. And, as such, I believe the best way to go is to play the hot hand. Face it everyone is going to play. And maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter one iota, but as long as players are hot I would keep them in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Is it just me or does Dusty seem to know a little too well what the fans think of him?I wonder if fans just walk up to Dusty and tell him that Nix should play more or that Phillips shouldn't be batting fourth and so on.Maybe he actually spends a little time in places like the Redszone.

Either way I guess its good that at least Baker knows what the fans are thinking because most of the time the fans haven't a clue what he's thinking.Thanks for at least trying to explain yourself though Dusty.
    I think John Fay may have read the Redszone and told Dusty about the second guessing of his decisions before he asked the questions, but i do agree with you that it is good Baker knows what we are thnking, and I believe it shows that he is focused when it comes to the lineup and he really does have a plan. Hopefully it pans out for us all in the end.

.....Kudos for Dusty even answering the question and touching on the subject, so many coaches won't even address the subject when it comes to "Your fans think..."
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Turn Off Ads?