Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run Willy. Run.

Run Willy. Run.

Top of the 8th, one out, tie game. Taveras singles and now represents the go-ahead run at first base.

Think about why he was acquired and paid millions of dollars to become the Reds leadoff hitter. Is there any particular facet of the game where he stands out among others? With the offense in such pitfalls right now, I cannot understand why he remained glued to first base. Dickerson saw at least three pitches before he lined that 2-strike fastball into left field. Willy should have been on second base before Dickerson's single, and even if he would have been stopped at third base, he would have scored on Votto's flyout in the next at bat.

Why pay for this guy if you're not going to run him there?

Even after Dickerson singled Taveras to second, there was still just one out. I know Votto is on fire and you don't want to take a runner out of scoring position, but I still think with his speed (and this, again, is the reason he was acquired) he should have tried to steal third. Votto's chances of driving him in from third base with one out are excellent, and while it's easy for me to say it now because of the flyout - I don't think that result would have been too difficult to predict.

But Willy stayed put at second base, too, and was left stranded.

I just want to know why. Why go out and add a speedster to the top of the order if you're not going to run him into scoring position.

To me, THAT is the series of plays that lost the game for the Reds. Not the error on the last play of the game.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Run Willy. Run.

Not being nearly aggressive enough. You're right.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Willy reminds me of Neon deon sanders in a lot of ways. Has no power but awesome speed. The difference being deon ran when he had the chanbf the situation didnt matter 4 better or worse but at least he did what he was there 4. I think something is wrong with him?

Willy should for sure be running more, I really don't understand it. I would think he has the green light when he gets on, or is Dusty just not letting him run. I would love to know the answer to that question.

SLAPJAW

It certainly gives the opposing pitcher fits when he knows the baserunner is going to be aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGIN View Post
    Willy should for sure be running more, I really don't understand it. I would think he has the green light when he gets on, or is Dusty just not letting him run. I would love to know the answer to that question.
    I suspect he is just taking orders from the dugout. I believe Willy will run any time he is given the green light.

From a Fay article on April 23rd:

Taveras has only stolen three bases. He’s been successful in all three attempts. But he led the National League with 68 steals last year. He’s not running anywhere near that often.

“I have the green light so I pick my spots,” Taveras said. “I’m not going to rush it. If I see a guy who is too quick to the plate or a lefty I like to see their move. There’s still a lot of games.”

I'm all for picking spots and not running into outs especially when Votto is at the plate but the lack of a running game is beginning to concern me as well. I know at one point in early April last year Clint Hurdle talked to Taveras about the need to be more aggressive on the bases and he responded all year. I really think Dusty needs to communicate this same thing to Willy. I'm not sure if he's trying to pick the perfect spot but I'd rather see him get thrown out a few times if he's being more aggressive as long as he's running in the right spots. The 8th inning last night was just that kind of spot.

The passage of time tends to magnify exploits from the past. It also tends to make memories a little fuzzier. But I swear if that were Barry Larkin or Joe Morgan on first with one out in the eight inning of a tie ballgame, they would have run. And run successfully.

Have any of you been watching or listening to games? The answer is obvious. HE IS NOT A PURE BASE-STEALER. That has become apparent to me when I notice he is taking short leads, and half the time, I hear he is leaning back to first when the ball is delivered because he can't figure out the pitcher's move. If that's the case, then it means that he's been getting away with steals for years because of pure speed. It takes a degree of good base-stealing to get good jumps thanks to reading the pitcher. Either Willy is off to a slow start in that regard, or he has shown that he is a terrible pure base-stealer this season.

It didn't appear anyone was getting a good leadoff last night. There was at least one spot when I thought Phillips would/should run as well. It just seemed like they were afraid to run.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

He looked timid with his leadoffs last night.

Then the people who found and signed him should be fired! He was given big money based on his supposed ability to get on and steal, if he is not able to do that, why pay him?

Hey Cant Touch This.

You are so RIGHT ON about this. I posted about the same thing a few weeks ago. It is a recurring pattern that is driving me mad. When WT failed to try to steal second last night, then stood glued to second base, I just about exploded. WHY, WHY, WHY? If he steals either time he scores and the Reds win. This so-called "running game" of the Reds is a fiasco.

Other than that, I'm up on this team.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Yeah, I agree. I have been confused for 25 games as to why Willy isn't running. Why else would we have signed him?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Then the people who found and signed him should be fired! He was given big money based on his supposed ability to get on and steal, if he is not able to do that, why pay him?
    Chill. The Reds are over .500 and 1 game back for the Wild Card even with an anemic offense. Isn't winning games the whole point ugly or not?

Turn Off Ads?