Turn Off Ads?

Thread: need a senior league bat

need a senior league bat

li'l princeton's team is playing up, on the bigger field. thus they get to hit with the bigger barreled bats (2 5/8 instead of 2 1/4), even though I don't think they're ready-- they're 11, with a few 12 year olds. also, need to begin to transition from -12 (still in use) to -10 (currently uses part of the time) to, eventually, -3 in two years, which is a requirement for the middle school team.

anyway, let's say that I was to buy a -8 big barrel . at least I'd like to pick out a good one so that I don't get the "dad I need a different bat" thing. the 2 1/4 barrel Combats have been amazing; but I don't see 2 5/8 Combats in the NCAA so I'm thinking that I should be looking at something else. opinions?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: need a senior league bat

I'm in high school currently, so I cannot really help with the -8 bats. However, I do have some advice for your transition to -3. I have used Easton bats my whole life. My grandfather just bought me an Easton SV12, which is one of the best bats on the market. Any of the Stealth models are great bats. If you are not looking to spend quite a bit of money on one, EBay is a great place to look. You can get them new, complete with warranty, sometimes for as little as half price.

It seems simple, but make sure to give him plenty of time to adjust to the -3. That was the biggest jump in my baseball life. It took me almost a full season to adjust to the weight. It's nothing that cannot be solved with a couple bat weights, and a lot of patience.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I like Eastons too, for very practical purposes: they last.

but what's the bat that your teammates are eyeballing? is there one? because li'l princeton likes to keep up with the Joneses, poor kid.

I'm hearing whispers about the Kelly NFuego-- can't believe that I'd pay for one, though (except that I can turn in old bat for next size up within a year, which is tempting). any buzz?

My 11 year old son, Matt, plays travel baseball and uses a Combat B-1 30" 20oz, "Da Bomb." It is new to the Sr. League market this year. We have been very pleased with the bat. Great pop. He used the Little League version of the B-1 last year in a 31" 19oz. Combat was very good last season about replacing the bat, twice. They have very thin walls but more pop than just about any bat we have used. They are starting to make a high school model, as well. Check out Just Bats on the internet. He has also used the Louisville Slugger Triton. Both are very good bats.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    My 11 year old son, Matt, plays travel baseball and uses a Combat B-1 30" 20oz, "Da Bomb." It is new to the Sr. League market this year. We have been very pleased with the bat. Great pop. He used the Little League version of the B-1 last year in a 31" 19oz. Combat was very good last season about replacing the bat, twice. They have very thin walls but more pop than just about any bat we have used. They are starting to make a high school model, as well. Check out Just Bats on the internet. He has also used the Louisville Slugger Triton. Both are very good bats.
    I think that Da Bomb is the safest choice as the youth version has been his favorite bat for a couple of years already. I'm sure that he'll like it if not love it. But I will show him GoReds' SV12 bat. Plus I know that his best friend is getting a Kelly, and it makes sense to wait until after that bat gets borrowed a few times. I'll also make an offer on the bats that the bigger players are replacing (it can be good to be height-challenged)

after he chooses, I'll outline his payment plan and get his signature.

Don't think you will be disappointed with "Da Bomb." One of the kids on our team got one of the Kelly's and he has quit using it in favor of his Exo-Grid. I really like the Combat technology.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I think Dimarini makes a really nice bat these days. Loved that baby in college.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Random thought, I am really concerned about safety with the negative weight bats. These kids are creating a lot of bat speed and hitting some shots at kids who can barely catch in pitch and catch. Plus, I have seen home runs out of farm league players (9-10). Just saw one Friday night. I grew up Little League, playing from 8-12 and umpiring from 13-19 and I do not recall but maybe a handful of farm homers (if that) in all those years. I am attributing it to the "quick swing" bats, which were just coming out when I was in Little League.

Finally, my 7 yr. old's coach was pushing no more than a 15 oz. bat on my kid, which is t-ball weight. He is average size and above average ability. I found an Easton 28" -11 for the farm player, who is 9 and am having the 7 yr old use this as well. He seems to be swinging it ok. My thought was that I was swinging a 28" 28 oz. bat at 8 yrs. old and hitting well with it by 9. I think my 7 yr. old can handle 17 oz. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Random thought, I am really concerned about safety with the negative weight bats. These kids are creating a lot of bat speed and hitting some shots at kids who can barely catch in pitch and catch. Plus, I have seen home runs out of farm league players (9-10). Just saw one Friday night. I grew up Little League, playing from 8-12 and umpiring from 13-19 and I do not recall but maybe a handful of farm homers (if that) in all those years. I am attributing it to the "quick swing" bats, which were just coming out when I was in Little League.

Finally, my 7 yr. old's coach was pushing no more than a 15 oz. bat on my kid, which is t-ball weight. He is average size and above average ability. I found an Easton 28" -11 for the farm player, who is 9 and am having the 7 yr old use this as well. He seems to be swinging it ok. My thought was that I was swinging a 28" 28 oz. bat at 8 yrs. old and hitting well with it by 9. I think my 7 yr. old can handle 17 oz. Thoughts?
    if swing is OK, then use the heavier bat. it makes you stronger

but too heavy a bat leads to swing problems, which are truly a pain to correct.

Turn Off Ads?