Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indians Struggling: Looking for Shake-Ups

Indians Struggling: Looking for Shake-Ups

At least according to manager Eric Wedge. THeir pen is the worst in baseball despite adding Wood. Starting pitching also can't seem to find the plate.

How about a blockbuster deal, sending minor leaguers Homer Bailey, Alonso, Josh Roenicke, and Fisher to the Indians for Matt LaPorta and Asdrubal Cabrera?

Cabrera could then play SS, while LaPorta mans up in LF. The Indians grab three arms to help right now and in the future and a young, solid first baseman/ DH as Hafner and Garko get older and more expensive. (Respectively)

Too much?
    Too little?
    Pipe dream?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indians Struggling: Looking for Shake-Ups

Pipe dream, but I like it. And it's not a pipe dream because it's a bad deal for anyone involved, just that it's too intriguing an idea to ever go anywhere. I can't imagine the organizations involved would be able to embrace that degree of creativity.
    Last edited by M2; 05-05-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It actually seems like a pretty balanced deal at first glance. I'd love to add LaPorta to this lineup and Cabrera to this defense (not to mention Asdrubal swings a pretty competent bat himself). I seem to remember that LaPorta is no ace defender though, so I wonder if his specs match with Walt's vision for this team.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Alonso can't be the player to be included until August 15.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I actually don't think it is a pipe dream but I agree with M2 that its far too creative and risky for any GM to sign off on...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 05-06-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Without having looked at any stats, is Alonso to LaPorta a lateral move or an upgrade, outside of the fact that LaPorta could play LF for us right now?

I wouldn't mind having Cabrera one bit though.

Problem is what do we do with with all these great SS's we would have then?

Interesting idea but the Reds wouldn't do it IMO. They probably should mind ya but they wouldn't. Of course most of my desire to make a deal like that would be in acquiring Cabrera. LaPorta IDK enough about defensively but his bat would certainly be welcome. It sure would have been nice to have gotten Nelson Cruz in the offseason he is beating the crap out of the ball as expected. I bet we could still get him if we offered the right pitching, how about he and Andrus?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

High five!

I think M2 nailed it: it's just too creative to get done. It would be a nice deal though. How would both teams "backfill" their rosters? In other words, who would fill those "traded" spots for the Indians and the Reds?

Nope, don't like it. Don't like dealing our #6 starter, Bailey, without getting an arm back. And I think Alonso might be every bit as good as Laporta in a year or two -- maybe better.

Cleveland wouldn't have a problem, as they have many prospects that ride that train (the Erie Canal Ferry?) between Buffalo and C-Town. They could easily get rid of everyone, save Wood in that pen. They also have starters with options.

For Cincinnati, I'd send McDonald down (easy call there) and probably also send down Janish to play everyday. Hairston has experience as 25th man and has played that PH role before as well. Too, Dickerson could then play a bit more in CF, spelling Taveras. (And I really think Baker would do just that.)

Cincinnati loses a lot of pitching depth, particularly in the pen, but the emergence of AAA starters and Viola mean it may not hurt so much.

The trade is really interesting. Doing it would, for me, depend on a number of other factors. If I thought EE and BP were a sure thing to return to career levels, I might be tempted because filling LF with LaPorta and SS with Cabrera would solidify the whole starting 8 and really give us a chance, right now, which in today's game is pretty much when you better go for it if you've even the slightest chance. But, like lollipop, I don't like giving up our #6 starter, especially when I think the gap between 6 and 7 is very large. If one of our guys goes down, and we have to turn to Maloney, we've undone what we were trying to accomplish with the trade. Also, I don't like giving up a high ceiling starter like Bailey together with the guy who I think is already in the process of putting a good bit of distance between himself and the next best prospect we have. Alonso is showing already he is a run-producer of the highest order; my guess is he'll be a better player than LaPorta.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Without having looked at any stats, is Alonso to LaPorta a lateral move or an upgrade, outside of the fact that LaPorta could play LF for us right now?

I wouldn't mind having Cabrera one bit though.
    LaPorta playing LF would be much more important to the Reds than the Indians. LaPorta as a Red would have the ability to play 2 positions. Alonso in the NL will have the ability to play 1. It would actually be a very good trade for the Reds if they could swap Alonso for LaPorta.

How many positions does Pujols play?

If you're thinking Alonso is Pujols then you obviously don't make the deal. That said, Pujols-level production has only come around twice-- once out of Columbia and once out of the Dominican. Ever.

Not suggesting that Alonso is Pujols over again, just that there are players you simply make space for and that LaPorta's being able to play two positions is a minor factor in evaluating him vis-a-vis a possibly elite player like Alonso. I think there's every reason to be confident that Joey Votto can play left field. Given this team's offensive weaknesses, I'd evaluate something like Alonso versus LaPorta simply on offensive possibility. And while it's strictly my personal opinion based on watching Alonso in last year's super-regionals and NCAA finals, I think Alonso should be regarded untouchable. I think we absolutely got the right guy in last year's draft.

Turn Off Ads?