Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The shutout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The shutout

In the last four shutouts Dusty has relieved the starter in the ninth inning. I realize in Volquez's first shutout he only had a three run lead, but in the other games the Reds were up 4, 5, and 7 runs. The pitch counts were not really high either. Why not let the starter go for the big zero?

Re: The shutout

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    In the last four shutouts Dusty has relieved the starter in the ninth inning. I realize in Volquez's first shutout he only had a three run lead, but in the other games the Reds were up 4, 5, and 7 runs. The pitch counts were not really high either. Why not let the starter go for the big zero?

Volquez was at 110 pitches last night after 8 innings. That's pretty high. I know in the game that Cueto went 8 innings that he told Dusty he was gassed, and wanted out.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I could just see Dusty leaving them in and the pitchers struggling or getting hurt, then the board would be all over Dusty for "ruining young arms again". Dusty can't win with fans in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I could just see Dusty leaving them in and the pitchers struggling or getting hurt, then the board would be all over Dusty for "ruining young arms again". Dusty can't win with fans in this town.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Why is it important to have complete games? I think it's more important to keep these guys healthy and not have them throw too many pitches at this stage in their careers. Also, the bullpen is rested; no reason to leave Volquez out there beyond 110 pitches as far as I am concerned. If he had a no-hitter going then I put him back out there, otherwise, get a fresh arm out there and let Voquez/Cueto start preparing for the next game.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Why is it important to have complete games? I think it's more important to keep these guys healthy and not have them throw too many pitches at this stage in their careers. Also, the bullpen is rested; no reason to leave Volquez out there beyond 110 pitches as far as I am concerned. If he had a no-hitter going then I put him back out there, otherwise, get a fresh arm out there and let Voquez/Cueto start preparing for the next game.

Bum

EXACTLY....he is making sure they are ready for the stretch run after the all star break. These guys are young and push their bodies farther than needed, Dusty is doing this the right way. Winnign cures alot of things but I see Dusty as doing EXACTLY what is needed here.

Chris Welsh addressed this the other night when they took Cueto out. He mentioned that the "complete game" stat is not really a big deal anymore (shut out or not.) He also mentioned that you have to have some work for the middle relief guys in real game situations so that they don't have long stretches without pitching.

Personally, I would like them to have the CG shutout, but it's probably better to give it a break.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

haha that's the first thing I thought of too.

Can't fault Dusty for this one.

I'm not disagreeing. If a pitcher says he is done then he's done. Take him out. And the bullpen does need some work.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I say let them pile up the shutouts if they possibly can. If the starters end up throwing as many innings as they do, then a few extra pitches to put a SHO and CG on their baseball card won't hurt.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Dusty really has a thing for leaving guys in for full innings.

If a guy is at 95 pitches Dusty is going to send him back out no matter what in most cases.

I love this new Dusty Baker. Why stretch out the long arms? We don't want Volquez/Cueto to become Wood/Prior do we? Our bullpen is doing great, no reason to use them less.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Exactly, Dusty is doing the right thing when it comes to these pitchers. I have really been impressed with how he has been using them and more importantly saving them from themselves.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

WOW Am I really reading this correctly, people on this site don't think Dusty is the Anti-Christ?

I love this pitching staff. I have not felt this confident on a daily basis in a long time. Mario Soto for pitching coach of the decade. Best change-up in history.

If they completed the shutouts and won those games, is there really anything worthy of complaining about?

Turn Off Ads?