Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ranking MLB closers

Ranking MLB closers

Per Cliff Corcoran/Inside Baseball

SI.com......

Cincy Reds Francisco "Coco" Cordero ranked @ #12......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."...George Orwell

"George Bush is a fan of mine...he came to see me in the 70's. His coke dealer brought him."...Bette Midler

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ranking MLB closers

That's probably about right. He's not among the elite but he's not as bad as a lot of the closers out there.

I would actually credit the signing of Cordero, more than any other factor, to the solidification of the bullpen we have seen over the last two years. I think he has been worth his contract because he has made the entire pen better.

Our pen has been really good except for Lincon, i just wish dusty would use Masset more, all of this has to be credited to Cordero, when we sign him for some reason we became one of the best pens in the league

I would take Cordero over Valverde, Broxton, Wood, or Mariano Rivera at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Our pen has been really good except for Lincon, i just wish dusty would use Masset more, all of this has to be credited to Cordero, when we sign him for some reason we became one of the best pens in the league
    mini danny herrera hasnt been good either.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I would take Cordero over Valverde, Broxton, Wood, or Mariano Rivera at this point.
    I would take him over Valverde (who's hurt) and Wood, but not over Broxton and Rivera. I think Rivera blew maybe one save all of last year, and has blown one this year. Broxton is establishing himself as the best young closer in the game, with the exception of maybe Papelbon. He has nasty heat and is really settling in in LA. For long term purposes, I would prefer him to CoCo

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I would take him over Valverde (who's hurt) and Wood, but not over Broxton and Rivera. I think Rivera blew maybe one save all of last year, and has blown one this year. Broxton is establishing himself as the best young closer in the game, with the exception of maybe Papelbon. He has nasty heat and is really settling in in LA. For long term purposes, I would prefer him to CoCo
    Yeah, the main thing I meant about Rivera is at this point of his career, because I think he's closer to the end than coco, and more of an injury risk.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    That's probably about right. He's not among the elite but he's not as bad as a lot of the closers out there.

I would actually credit the signing of Cordero, more than any other factor, to the solidification of the bullpen we have seen over the last two years. I think he has been worth his contract because he has made the entire pen better.
    Agree with his assesment. He's not top 10, but he's right outside the top 10. He's very servicable and among the guys who are not a liability and even a strength most of the time.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Don't sleep on Lincoln yet. He looked great in his two innings at Florida. I think he'll come around — his stuff is just too good not to. As for Cordero, I am in the camp of dealing with the salary because it means you have one or two closer candidates available in the seventh and eighth innings. Remember three years ago when Arthur Rhodes would probably be our closer at this point?

I also think 12th is a little low. He's been blowing people away this year.

What a stupid ranking!!!!!

How about some facts:

Team.......................Save Opp.........Blown Saves............Save %

Cincinnati.....................7.................. ....0........................100
    Philadelphia...................7.................. ....2.........................71
    New York.....................10.....................3. ........................70
    San Francisco................9......................3. ........................67
    St. Louis......................14..................... 5..........................64
    Atlanta.........................8................. .....3.........................63
    Pittsburgh.....................8.................. ....3.........................63
    Colorado.......................8.................. ....3.........................63
    Chicago........................10................. ....4.........................60
    Arizona.........................10................ .....4.........................60
    Los Angeles...................17.....................7 .........................59
    San Diego......................15..................... 7.........................53
    Milwaukie.......................17................ .....8.........................53
    Florida...........................10.............. .......5.........................50
    Houston.........................12................ .....7.........................42
    Washington....................10.................. ...7.........................30

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What a stupid ranking!!!!!

How about some facts:

Team.......................Save Opp.........Blown Saves............Save %

Cincinnati.....................7.................. ....0........................100
    Philadelphia...................7.................. ....2.........................71
    New York.....................10.....................3. ........................70
    San Francisco................9......................3. ........................67
    St. Louis......................14..................... 5..........................64
    Atlanta.........................8................. .....3.........................63
    Pittsburgh.....................8.................. ....3.........................63
    Colorado.......................8.................. ....3.........................63
    Chicago........................10................. ....4.........................60
    Arizona.........................10................ .....4.........................60
    Los Angeles...................17.....................7 .........................59
    San Diego......................15..................... 7.........................53
    Milwaukie.......................17................ .....8.........................53
    Florida...........................10.............. .......5.........................50
    Houston.........................12................ .....7.........................42
    Washington....................10.................. ...7.........................30
    Make that 8 for 8 still 100% awesome stuff and 23 straight saves for Coco!

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Make that 8 for 8 still 100% awesome stuff and 23 straight saves for Coco!
    9 for 9 now!!!!34 in a row!!!!!

IMO he's one of the best in the biz.12th seems low to me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    9 for 9 now!!!!34 in a row!!!!!

IMO he's one of the best in the biz.12th seems low to me.
    We are dominating when we get a lead for our bullpen.

Hope we can give them another lead tonight.

Turn Off Ads?