Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America article on Yonder Alonso

Re: Baseball America article on Yonder Alonso

IMO, Votto could be a decent LF. He's got a good work ethic and will put in the time if it's best for the team. Bat Alonso after Bruce at #6 in '10.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I feel like a moron for even suggesting this, but I wonder if the Reds have considered moving Votto to third base. He's pretty athletic and has been phenomenal as a first baseman this season.

I saw YA a cpl times early ST and thot he'd wind up in EST this year. SOOOOO delighted to have been wrong.

Still, long swings are worrisome by mlb standards......

7 for his last 13 with only 2 RBI's...is he even trying???

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I feel like a moron for even suggesting this, but I wonder if the Reds have considered moving Votto to third base. He's pretty athletic and has been phenomenal as a first baseman this season.
    I don't believe he has the arm to do it, but I could be wrong. I actually haven't seen any reason to doubt his arm but I assume that was the impetus for moving him in the 1st place. He played 19 games there in the GCL in 2002 and had his lowest Fldg% of his career (8 errors in 47 chances .830%). Also had 7 games at catcher and IIRC came in as a 3rd bagger or Catcher. I assume they seen enough as he has never returned to either of them since.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Votto was drafted as a catcher, and I believe his arm had something to do with why he was moved. Still, if his arm's good enough for left field, I wonder if it's good enough ford third base. It'll never happen, and I'm just thinking aloud, but I wonder of the Reds have considered it recently.

Votto has the arm for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red View Post
    I saw YA a cpl times early ST and thot he'd wind up in EST this year. SOOOOO delighted to have been wrong.

Still, long swings are worrisome by mlb standards......
    Being from Georgia, I imagined you were hoping we'd get Gordon Bekham. But, since he was taken the pick ahead of us, that decision was removed from the equation. I wanted Bekham myself, but I still think that Walt Jockety would have taken Alonso anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Being from Georgia, I imagined you were hoping we'd get Gordon Bekham. But, since he was taken the pick ahead of us, that decision was removed from the equation. I wanted Bekham myself, but I still think that Walt Jockety would have taken Alonso anyway.
    Gordon Beckham went 8th overall to the White Sox, the Reds took Alonso at seven.

Alonso is up to:

.272/.330/.495 for a .826 OPS 5 homeruns 27 rbi 8 doubles
    Yeah, first of June should be the sweet spot to bring him to AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Alonso had a pretty poor college career against lefties.
    While he's only about 2 for 17 against lefties right now, I don't care. I know what I know. I saw him hit against lefties in College, and I saw him do it last year at this time. It's not an issue for him. He doesn't have holes in his swing that's exposed by lefties. He doesn't back out against them. His patience is just as good with them. It's just a matter of seeing more of them as far as putting up good numbers against them.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Gordon Beckham went 8th overall to the White Sox, the Reds took Alonso at seven.
    Well, then I guess that says what I thought was true.....that Jockety was going to take Alonso given the choice of being able to take either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Alonso is up to:

Yeah, first of June should be the sweet spot to bring him to AA.
    What are you going to do with Logan Parker? He's played nothing but 1st Base his entire career.

He might have to skip AA and go to AAA is what I'm thinking. I wouldn't promote Logan Parker. I wouldn't move down Logan Parker. I wouldn't play Logan Parker anywhere else other than 1B. I suppose they could take turns playing 1B and DH'ing at AA, though. If he was promoted to AAA, Danny Dorn could play LF, as he's done plenty of in the minors.

Why hasn't Alonso been moved up yet?

Kinspoint: No offense to Logan Parker, but I don't really care what they do with him. The only organizational thought at 1b in the minors ought to be how best to nurture and accomodate Yonder Alonso.

Turn Off Ads?