Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Willy Taveras - 2009 to date

Re: Willy Taveras - One Month In

I really respect Walt Jocketty and his abilities but annointing Willy Tavaras as 'great' in mid-May is sheer silliness.

Let's talk in October.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I really respect Walt Jocketty and his abilities but annointing Willy Tavaras as 'great' in mid-May is sheer silliness.

Let's talk in October.

Rem

I may have missed it, but I don't see anyone calling Taveras "great." He doesn't have to be for 2 mill a season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    This is a rare case where a hitter actually got better, significantly better after turning 27*.
    * for the first 5 weeks of the season.

We probably ought to wait until at least the end of the season, or preferably until the end of the 2010 season before declaring that he's found himself and defied the odds.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I may have missed it, but I don't see anyone calling Taveras "great." He doesn't have to be for 2 mill a season.
    Context.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Let's talk in October.

Rem

Like the Jocketty Grading Poll?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Neither Morgan nor Reed has ever been a fulltime player either. It's an apple and trucks comparison.

Walt has so far been right about Nix, Hernandez, Taveras, Masset, Rhodes.

The guy's made a career out of stomping other teams' guts at the margins of his rosters. Status quo for him. I'm not feelin' the Walt-hate either.
    I'm really surprised about Masset. I was not impressed with the guy last season, but it looks like Walt proved me wrong. Getting Masset for 1/2 of season of Jr might turn out to be a huge win for the Reds.

Heck, getting Owens for 6 weeks of Dunn looks pretty huge too.

Really, the only Walt move that looks bad to this point has been Lincoln, but I think Lincoln will improve. Still might not be a great move though.

Yes, we can discuss Walt's non-moves, but I feel we have made progress under Walt. This is the first time I've been optimistic about the Reds in a long time.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Like the Jocketty Grading Poll?
    Yep. I gave Walt a C because he didn't bring in a big (RH) bat but maybe he got his budget cut.

I'll wait and see how the season plays out. It's not like we haven't seen this scenario before.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm really surprised about Masset. I was not impressed with the guy last season, but it looks like Walt proved me wrong. Getting Masset for 1/2 of season of Jr might turn out to be a huge win for the Reds.

Heck, getting Owens for 6 weeks of Dunn looks pretty huge too.

Really, the only Walt move that looks bad to this point has been Lincoln, but I think Lincoln will improve. Still might not be a great move though.

Yes, we can discuss Walt's non-moves, but I feel we have made progress under Walt. This is the first time I've been optimistic about the Reds in a long time.
    Execept for liking Massett's stuff when he came over last summer, I agree with all of that.

I thought Massett had a chance to be good---but not this good---so I expect a bit of regression there.

I actually backed resigning Lincoln (but I would have liked a one year contract) because I felt that he had a chance to get stronger another year down the road from arm surgery. Yet, I acknowledge it was a risk.

Rem

I didn't like the signing, but so far so good.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Willy Taveras is striking out much less than he has in the past and walking slightly more than he has in the past. The progress he has made isn't anything that I don't think he can't sustain for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    This is a rare case where a hitter actually got better, significantly better after turning 27.
    Players don't usually change spots at that age -- e.g. a judy doesn't suddenly discover power -- but 27-32 is when most players paint their ceiling.

Taveras' career SLG: .341

Taveras' SLG to date in 2009: .414

His signing made me itchy because of his extreme lack of pop (putting a ton of pressure on OBP to make up for it), but he has been driving the ball with far more authority and hitting far more line drives so far this year than his career would suggest. The note somewhere upstream (post #96 by Next44 from Fay's blog) that Taveras has been working Jacoby on more consistent contact with power is noteworthy to me.

So far, very much pleasantly surprised and delighted.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Could Coors have had a negative impact on his slugging? Restated: could a smaller OF actually help Taveras hitting as well?

Or is it all luck, prime, and Jacoby?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Could Coors have had a negative impact on his slugging? Restated: could a smaller OF actually help Taveras hitting as well?

Or is it all luck, prime, and Jacoby?
    Or that it's only 5 weeks of performance?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it's a little early to move the Taveras experiment into a Phase two clinical trial....
    * for the first 5 weeks of the season.

We probably ought to wait until at least the end of the season, or preferably until the end of the 2010 season before declaring that he's found himself and defied the odds.
    Completely agree. No definite conclusions until the end of the season at the earliest.

However...

From watching him, I can really see that he is not the hitter that his career stats says he is. As Doug pointed out, he does not have an alarming LD % or BAPIP, or Bunt %, in fact, those are around or even a bit lower than his career numbers. He basically is making more contact and seeing more pitches than usual. And even those are not at an unsustainable level.

This could be just from random variance due to the sample size, but it very well could be due to a changed approach. Watching him hit, my opinion is that it is the later. Well see...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?