Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Offense adjusted ERA

Offense adjusted ERA

Ok, so there has been alot of discussion about Owings and whether or not he should have the #5 spot or not. We've only ever really looked at his pitching to determine this but one of the things Owings gives the Reds is a very good bat. So to be fair in evaluating him I thought it would be worthwhile to account for offense in his pitching stats. I don't know if there is already a stat out there for like this but I didn't see one readily when I googled. So if we take all the runs that Owings is directly apart of Runs and RBI's and subtract that from his ER before calcuating the ERA so the formula looks like this:

(ER - (R + RBI)) / IP * 9

When doing this with owings his Offense Adjusted ERA is: 3.50
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offense adjusted ERA

I used your formula for Janish and came up with a 0.00 ERA. What did I do wrong/

I think what's missing is that only during pitching performances should be taken into account. If he pinch hits it shouldn't improve this metric. Do you agree?
    Last edited by EddieMilner; 05-09-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: iPhone misspellings

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I think what's missing is that only during pitching performances should be taken into account. If he pinch hits it shouldn't improve this metric. Do you agree?
    I definitely agree.

Yep, that's a way to adjust for the Janish factor.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?