Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 5/8/09 Reds vs Cards

Re: 5/8/09 Reds vs Cards

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Perhaps. But this frustrates me. I am a Reds fan in Memphis, TN. I have no one to watch games with, or discuss games with, or otherwise make observations with. If I did, I might have mused out loud, like I did in here, that the Cardinals appear to excel at working counts. I would have mused that off of tonight's game. Is that dangerous? Or is it a normal thing that happens in the course of watching a game? Am I not allowed to mention that observation here? If not, then why do we have this kind of forum? I enjoy "watching" games with folks again, rather than feeling isolated in my fandom.

So, sorry, PuffyPig, for offending you with a "dangerous" impression that I didn't stop to track before musing it. I will try and meet those heightened requirements for future threads. Or stop posting in them, I guess, and go back to being isolated. Awesome.
    Just an observation. Often those who feel they are more knowledgeable of the game and the Reds tend to put people down here. I do not think it's necessary or polite. But that's the way it's always been. I despise it and stay away for long periods. Like you, I'm in Reds country, but watch the games alone most of the time because everyone else has pretty much given up on the Reds around here. So when I do post, I make comments to kind of have conversation with people about the game. Once in awhile, I get an arrogant and nasty comment. If we cannot have conversation, no matter how stupid it seems to folks, then close this place.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 05-08-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    That may be the most foolish I've ever seen Albert look...wow
    Albert got drilled pretty good with fastball in the left kidndey last night. I bet he's still pretty sore.

I'm a die hard Reds fan but even I know Albert is the best hitter in the game today.

We'll take evey out we can get from pitching to this guy.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-09-2009 at 04:17 AM.

I think that Reds text poll is stupid and designed to give George more excuses to talk about Pujols.
    Why shouldn't George talk about Albert Pujols?

In my humble opinion Pujols is the only legitimate Hall of Fame candidate on either roster.

Players like Albert Pujols are very few and far between and should be promoted as much as possible for the overall good of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Just an observation. Often those who feel they are more knowledgeable of the game and the Reds tend to put people down here. I do not think it's necessary or polite. But that's the way it's always been. I despise it and stay away for long periods. Like you, I'm in Reds country, but watch the games alone most of the time because everyone else has pretty much given up on the Reds around here. So when I do post, I make comments to kind of have conversation with people about the game. Once in awhile, I get an arrogant and nasty comment. If we cannot have conversation, no matter how stupid it seems to folks, then close this place.

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe there is stuff I'm missing but the P/PA discussion over the last few pages really was an example of an overreaction rather than an example of poor behavior or someone trying to appear superior.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why shouldn't George talk about Albert Pujols?

In my humble opinion Pujols is the only legitimate Hall of Fame candidate on either roster.

Players like Albert Pujols are very few and far between and should be promoted as much as possible for the overall good of the game.

I would say the objection is the overkill. Yes, we know Albert is a great hitter, but references to "Sir Albert" and the slobbery superlatives throughout a Reds-Cards games is borish.

It is sort of like sitting and listening to a proud parent who is constantly telling you of their kid's accomplishments and greatness every time they visit, whether or not it has any relevance to the current conversation. Sort of like Uncle Leo bragging to Jerry about Cousin Jeffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would say the objection is the overkill. Yes, we know Albert is a great hitter, but references to "Sir Albert" and the slobbery superlatives throughout a Reds-Cards games is borish.

It is sort of like sitting and listening to a proud parent who is constantly telling you of their kid's accomplishments and greatness every time they visit, whether or not it has any relevance to the current conversation. Sort of like Uncle Leo bragging to Jerry about Cousin Jeffrey.
    It's worse, George talks about the Cards and Albert like a young boy talks about girls at the swimming pool. It's gratuitous and embarrassing to have to listen to.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's worse, George talks about the Cards and Albert like a young boy talks about girls at the swimming pool. It's gratuitous and embarrassing to have to listen to.
    Some of us thought it might get better once Jim Edmonds left. No such luck.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That sums it up about as well as can be. I hate it and I can't believe the Reds stand for it. It is nothing short of ridiculous.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If I did, I might have mused out loud, like I did in here, that the Cardinals appear to excel at working counts. I would have mused that off of tonight's game.

The problem was, you weren't musing.

You were stating, as fact, that the reason that the Cards hitters are so much better than ours, is because they work the count so deeply, and that it is a organizational trait ingrained in them from the low minors.

You made sweeping generalizationals about our hitters, the Cards hitters, and each's organizational approach to hitting, based on your observations of less than 1 game.

A musing comment would be something like " I've noticed that the Cards seem to be working the pitchers tonight. Is that something they often do, or is it just this one game?"

And for the record, Pineiro was leading the NL in pitches per inning going into last night, essentially due to the fact he doesn't miss bats and lets everyone hit it. Notwithstanding that, we made him throw a ton of pitches and worked him harder than anyone else had this year.

Enough with this. Take it private if you want to continue making it personal please.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?