Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    I really like this team. One of the things I am enjoying is that there seems to be a lack of consensus on the player Reds' fans love to hate. I was just thinking what would things sound like on the radio and on Redszone if the reds who were struggling to score runs suddenly started to score and win at home while Dunn and Griffey were hurt. I like Votto and Phillips, but if this were Dunn and Griffey we all know that talk radio would be a buzz with how two games is proof positive that they are the reason that we are losing, as opposed to something like horrible pitching. Just wondering if any of you think things would be much different if it were Dunn and Griffey or if people just really disliked Phillips and Votto.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Phillips needs to watch it though, or he could replace Dunn and Griffey. I see your point. The hatred of Dunn was unecessary. I don't care what anyone says, they're wrong about Dunn unless they agree that he was a big time commodity. The guy is on his way to a career year in Washington, and he's going to be a Hall of Famer. Was he perfect, no. But the people who 'hated' Dunn simply didn't recognize his strengths and pointed the finger at him because he was the only one left through the long years of losing. He was a bright spot on HORRIBLE HORRIBLE teams, he outlasted several GM's, players, roster after roster, managers, and ownership. He was the only one remaining so people automatically and unfairly blamed him. He was a stud offensively.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    396

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    The Reds weren't terrible all those years because of Dunn. But you could argue that they WERE bad because of Griffey. His Giganto-enormous contract ate up a lot of space, and he never produced on the scale he was being paid. That type of situation will kill any franchise. Dunn was always paid on a scale of what he produced, and for many years was a great value.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Well were still above .500 before we came into these last two games. So its not like we were playing bad without them.


    Votto doesnt fit your point at all.

    BP i guess is debatable, but he has been hot his last few games. So i dont think it fits either.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    There are intangibles that go beyond the statistics.

    Enthusiasm, desire, energy, chemistry, etc..........can all play a role in winning games.
    Who's on first?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    The fact that Dunn ended up with the Nationals speaks volumes about what baseball GM's across the board think of Dunn's skills.
    Who's on first?

  8. #7
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    The fact that Dunn ended up with the Nationals speaks volumes about what baseball GM's across the board think of Dunn's skills.
    He's in the top 10 in the NL in HRs, RBIs, OBP, and OPS. I'd love to have those numbers coming from the Reds left field position.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    The fact that Dunn ended up with the Nationals speaks volumes about what baseball GM's across the board think of Dunn's skills.
    Compared to who, Dickerson?

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    The fact that Dunn ended up with the Nationals speaks volumes about what baseball GM's across the board think of Dunn's skills.
    These same GM's sign Carlos Silva for 12 million a year, give Zito a boatload, Mike Hampton, etc. You can't really blame someone skills on where they sign as a free agent and for how much money. He is what he is, I'd rather pay for that then pay for what someone might be able to do if they are healthy and not suspended, ALA Milton Bradley and the cubs, I still think that was a poor signing for the same type of money.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Well were still above .500 before we came into these last two games. So its not like we were playing bad without them.


    Votto doesnt fit your point at all.

    BP i guess is debatable, but he has been hot his last few games. So i dont think it fits either.
    They all fit my point. My point is this. When fans turn on a player logic goes out the window. Production doesn't matter, stats don't matter, just fans seeing what they want. If there are fans who hate BP and Votto the way they hate Griffey and Dunn nothing matters other than they won two in a row without them. Not bad pitching, not who they played against just they they were gone and we won without them. If you are a blind Griffey or Dunn basher, this point is lost on you.

  12. #11
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    What if Dunn and Griffey went O-fer and we won two?

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    He's in the top 10 in the NL in HRs, RBIs, OBP, and OPS. I'd love to have those numbers coming from the Reds left field position.
    Gee, where were those numbers when we needed him?

    Always easy to hit when there's not pressure on him. He should flourish in Washington.

    I'm sure he'll come up with a mysterious injury about August 1st when the Nats are 30 games out, and then he'll hit the golf course.
    Who's on first?

  14. #13
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Gee, where were those numbers when we needed him?
    They were right there. He finished in the top 10 in HRs, OBP, and OPS last season, while finishing tied for 13th in RBIs. He's been a model of consistency.

    Always easy to hit when there's not pressure on him. He should flourish in Washington.
    He had no more pressure in Cincinnati than he does in Washington.

    I'm sure he'll come up with a mysterious injury about August 1st when the Nats are 30 games out, and then he'll hit the golf course.
    What?

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    The Reds never did anything with Dunn. They never did anything with Griffey.

    Sometimes stats are just filler and other times they mean something. They meant nothing in terms of Dunn. He was and is still overrated. When the chips are down he'll strike out everytime.
    Who's on first?

  16. #15
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: What if Dunn and Griffey were out and we won 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    The Reds never did anything with Dunn. They never did anything with Griffey.
    Because they never built a good team around them. Baseball is a TEAM game.

    Sometimes stats are just filler and other times they mean something. They meant nothing in terms of Dunn. He was and is still overrated. When the chips are down he'll strike out everytime.
    Ridiculous. I'm tempted to go count how many game winning homers he had in Cincinnati, but I doubt it make much difference as you would just make something else up.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25