Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty the micromanager

Dusty the micromanager

I yelled when he took Rhodes out after pitching to one batter.

Dusty has never heard the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Ridiculous. And everyone around me watching agreed. It was pitiful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty the micromanager

AMEN. Why won't he just let Rhodes get people out?

part of BBN

It surprised me because Dusty has used Rhodes all season primarily for an inning at a time regardless of righty or lefty.

We still have two more games with the cards in the series, i think Dusty wanted to preserve as much of Rhodes as he could in what became a close game.

If Rhodes would have stayed in and faced the right handers and gave up a hit and then a bomb to Pujols there would be a thread on here stating the exact opposite. You can micro analyze any baseball move.

I generally agree with your assessment of the play though, far to often managers use the righty/lefty thing without thought of how well a pitcher is doing. Dusty has rarely done that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs82 View Post
    We still have two more games with the cards in the series, i think Dusty wanted to preserve as much of Rhodes as he could in what became a close game.
    Pretty much my thought, since he pitched Thurs too

Look at it from Dusty's position....
    -Rhodes has faced who you wanted him to face.
    -With one out in the 8th he has a righty-lefty matchup that he can avoid with the simple replacement of Rhodes with Weathers.
    -If anyone has been as good or better than Rhodes this year it has been Weathers.
    -Statistics say that the situation is better for a RH pitcher.
    IMO he made the right call, after the fact it is a little harder to say that, but it would take more than just a little "Gut Instinct" to leave Rhodes out there. He played it by the book....which is something he rarely does, just look at his lineups. I guess I don't see the big deal with this move.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    Look at it from Dusty's position....
    -Rhodes has faced who you wanted him to face.
    -With one out in the 8th he has a righty-lefty matchup that he can avoid with the simple replacement of Rhodes with Weathers.
    -If anyone has been as good or better than Rhodes this year it has been Weathers.
    -Statistics say that the situation is better for a RH pitcher.
    IMO he made the right call, after the fact it is a little harder to say that, but it would take more than just a little "Gut Instinct" to leave Rhodes out there. He played it by the book....which is something he rarely does, just look at his lineups. I guess I don't see the big deal with this move.
    If Rhodes can't pitch a full inning, and hopefully that means 3 batters, Dusty shouldn't have put him out there to begin with.

It was the wrong move, and the results bear that out. My feelings didn't come after Weathers gave up all the runs. I felt that way immediately when Dusty went to the mound to take him out.

Anyone who knows Weathers knows he was due to get pounded. You don't take the guy throwing 93-94 mph and replace him with a guy who can't hit 90 mph on his fastball. Or in other words, Rhodes was pitching well and we had no clue what we were going to get from Weathers. I guess Dusty was curious (sarcasm).

If we had lost that game last night, it would have squarely been on the micromanager's shoulders.

We won despite Dusty.

I wish everyone would shutup about Dusty, I've never seen a manager want to win more than he does, get off the guys back! It's absolutely ridiculous the way he's constantly ripped around here.

Also, as for righty lefty thing.

Opponents righthanders are batting .222 against Rhodes. Of Rhodes 9 K's, all have been against RHers.

Rhodes splits against LHers and RHers are good.

Leave him in to face the next 2 batters. If Pujols jacks him or gets a hit, then take him out.

It's so sensible, that's why Dusty doesn't do it. If it doesn't make sense, it must be the right move (sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I wish everyone would shutup about Dusty, I've never seen a manager want to win more than he does, get off the guys back! It's absolutely ridiculous the way he's constantly ripped around here.
    Oh? So now we're not allowed to criticize the manager's decision-making?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Oh? So now we're not allowed to criticize the manager's decision-making?
    I would feel different if it wasn't every little thing that didn't even end up mattering. Where are his props from 2 nights ago when he left Rhodes in to face the righties and he got them out? Where are his props for this team overachieving with a great atmosphere in the dugout and around the team right now? There are never threads about Dusty doing a good job, just tons and tons and tons of threads about every questionable move he ever makes. There aren't Adam Rosales threads about him not being able to get the ball out of his glove on routine double play balls, because everyone likes him around here. It's just like Dusty can do nothing right in my opinion, because the first time a player fails, it's all his fault.

Reading this thread you'd think the Reds lost last night.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I would feel different if it wasn't every little thing that didn't even end up mattering. Where are his props from 2 nights ago when he left Rhodes in to face the righties and he got them out? Where are his props for this team overachieving with a great atmosphere in the dugout and around the team right now? There are never threads about Dusty doing a good job, just tons and tons and tons of threads about every questionable move he ever makes. There aren't Adam Rosales threads about him not being able to get the ball out of his glove on routine double play balls, because everyone likes him around here. It's just like Dusty can do nothing right in my opinion, because the first time a player fails, it's all his fault.
    Pretty much the way I feel also. I wasn't crazy about some of things Dusty did last season, but this season I think he's done a pretty good job, especially handling the bullpen. If it was a closer game at the time last night, he probably would have kept Rhodes in, but with the lead they had he wanted to save his arm for the rest of the weekend and Weathers has been great so far. Smart decision, IMO. Besides, it worked out in the end........the REDS WON.

The haters will criticize Dusty for anything that doesn't work and will never give props for the decisions that do work out. Might as well just accept it.

Guys Dusty has to leave his mark on every game. Havent you figured this out yet?

Turn Off Ads?