Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cueto tipping pitches

Cueto tipping pitches

Per John Fay and the Enquirer, Cueto says he got beat up on the mound so much last year because he was tipping his pitches.

2 questions:

1. Can we get a pitching coach for the Reds? I mean, I'm no Dick Pole ( ), but maybe bring a guy in who can notice these things and correct them? If Cueto blew a whole year because of this, that should be grounds for termination.

2. There was an ORG member last year who called this. Said Cueto was tipping his pitches. I looked for the thread but can't find it. Anyone remember who that was? Maybe make him the new pitching coach...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Cueto tipping pitches

I think that was me, honestly.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

they said last year soto met with cueto and volquez about something they were doing wrong on the mound that he noticed on tv....if soto is picking up wrong mechanics on tv..whats dick pohl doing?

Cueto also looks a lot more under control this year. I am not denying that he was probably tipping his pitches, but his biggest fault last year was rushing to the plate and flailing off to the side, causing him to leave his pitches up. With the way our staff has been pitching this year we also have to give Pole credit where it is due.

From some source in the organization someone should have caught on to Cueto tipping his pitches, whether it be Dick Pole, Baker, a bullpen catcher, or some member it should have been caught. Pitching coaches also play a huge role in the pitching strategy against a certain team, just as a hitting coach does. The fact the pitch tipping was missed is an organizational issue, not just an issue with Dick Pole.

The thread you are referring to is linked in the current Cueto thread in the ORG...

Homer Bailey was the one that brought it up
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Seems like he got roasted pretty bad by some for having the audacity to suggest something that the Reds might have missed.

I agree that the blame for this doesn't rest soley on Dick Pole's shoulders and I also agree he deserves some of the credit for the ace staff this season. But really...if guys are noticing it on TV, and Soto is noticing it from another country...SOMEBODY should have corrected it last season.

Oh well, at least it is fixed now.

HOFer Greg Maddux said Dick Pole was the best pitching coach he ever had.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    HOFer Greg Maddux said Dick Pole was the best pitching coach he ever had.
    i heard that too...it surprised me. i still dont see how soto can see something wrong on a television set and dick pohl not noticing it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Dick Pole is a good pitching coach with an awesome name. Of course, I could have been Maddux's coach and he still would have been a hall-of-famer.

I see the thread you referenced was started by HomerB...I do remember bringing it up as well but I must not have started a thread about it. IIRC, there were a few of us who bandied that theory about.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i heard that too...it surprised me. i still dont see how soto can see something wrong on a television set and dick pohl not noticing it.
    It is crazy to think Dick Pole couldn't pick up on it....Soto must watch his games on HD

Turn Off Ads?