Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bruce Anyone?

Bruce Anyone?

I know that everyone on this board is exercising an Ahamd Rashad - Michael Jordan level man-crush on Joey Votto, but how about Mr. Bruce. After a slow start he has a .912 OPS, is 3rd in the NL in HR's (only one behind the much missed Adam Dunn), and is playing some of the best rightfield seen in Cincinnati in years. How about a little love for Jay?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Dude Rock

Re: Bruce Anyone?

He has 9 HR's since April 21st.

He has been on fire since sitting out a few after being hit on the hand by a pitch.

I hope we'll be able to say the same about EE when he gets back.That is if he ever gets a chance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

People are saying he's on fire and all that but two points:

1) I'd like to say that he hasn't even started really getting hot yet. He's only scratching the surface. When he does get hot you'll see the same power numbers or a little more (scary I know), but also multi hit games and a lot more doubles.

2) His RF this year has been so solid. He's throwing guys out (leads MLB in outfield assists) and the reason it's been quiet is what I call a "good quiet" about his defense in right. He just makes every play but I've seen him mix in about 5 spectacular catches as well.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I don't think anyone's forgotten Bruce, more that Votto is putting up MVP numbers thus far and stealing his thunder (which is fine with me.) His glove has been good in right with a couple of really good put outs. My only knock would be to up that batting average. I think if he were batting .300 or better right now there would be someone creating the Bruce/Votto double bobblehead right now. I hope he keeps it up!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Have you been to a game>?

There is love for bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Have you been to a game>?

There is love for bruce.
    Seems like I here a lot of BOOOOOOs every time he does something.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Seems like I here a lot of BOOOOOOs every time he does something.
    My youngest heard that at the game and asked why the crowd didn't like him!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd also like to add that when I watch Bruce something I notice is he's making an awful lot of contact this year (hold my breath and hope I don't jinx him). The strikeouts simply aren't at an alarming rate thus far; the average is not as high as I'd like but he's hit a ton of balls hard right at people or that he's just missed hitting out. He has a tendency to rise average right now.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

He is much more patient than he was in April and it is paying off. Also, I didn't realize just how good he was in right field. Check this out from fangraphs.com:

Jay Bruce is the new UZR king with 9 and Willy Taveras is at 5.1 runs. That gives the Reds two centerfielders at all times, no matter who mans left field. The Reds don’t have many flyball heavy pitchers, but the staff as a whole are outperforming their FIP by 0.41 runs. Contribute a large part of that 3.93 staff ERA to a .289 batting average on balls in play against, which is tied for the fifth lowest in the league. For what it’s worth, fellow outfielders Jerry Hairston, Laynce Nix, and Chris Dickerson also rate as above average corner outfielders thus far, although not nearly to the extent of Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?