Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Interest SD Thread

Interest SD Thread

Just saw this nice post, courtesy of "Brutus the Pimp" of ye olde Sun Deck. Sometimes, when reading posts, things leap out at you like that movie, "A Beautiful Mind." Well, this bit struck me:

Plate Appearances per Run Created

1. Joey Votto (4.8)
    2. Laynce Nix (5.7)
    3. Jay Bruce (5.9)
    4. Ryan Hanigan (7.3)
    5. Paul Janish (7.5)
    6. Brandon Phillips (8.5)
    7. Willy Taveras (8.9)
    8. Ramon Hernandez (9.6)
    9. Chris Dickerson (11.4)
    10. Jerry Hairston (12.5)
    11. Alex Gonzalez (17.0)
    12. Edwin Encarnacion (18.9)
    13. Adam Rosales (31.1)
    I see 1-4 in that list hitting 3-6. It just struck me as "right." I know, small sample sizes with Nix but he's been hitting doubles like crazy.

Anyhow, it's a good post. I thought the stolen base formula was interesting. Thoughts?

Ah, I meant to make the title "Interesting SD Thread" - sorry!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interest SD Thread

Despite his Redszone name, Brutus is actually a very articulate poster.

Lots of good stuff in that, thanks Nate.

The one thing that stood out for me was his last idea of having Hernandez hit cleanup. He has shown not only to be more productive than BP, but also to be able to provide much more professional PA's.

Unlike BP, he actually shortens his swing with men on base, just trying to make good contact, as opposed to trying to crush the ball. Even if he slumps, he can't be much worse than BP in that spot, and at least would create a more respected lineup.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Interest SD Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Despite his Redszone name, Brutus is actually a very articulate poster.

Lots of good stuff in that, thanks Nate.

The one thing that stood out for me was his last idea of having Hernandez hit cleanup. He has shown not only to be more productive than BP, but also to be able to provide much more professional PA's.

Unlike BP, he actually shortens his swing with men on base, just trying to make good contact, as opposed to trying to crush the ball. Even if he slumps, he can't be much worse than BP in that spot, and at least would create a more respected lineup.
    I agree with that completely. Especially the part about plate approach with men on base. Brandon is altering his swing when he hits fourth. He's got an upper-cut and is over swinging...he's going for the long ball. Ramon does the exact opposite. He's got natural power (as does Brandon to be honest), but with men on, he shortens his swing and just looks to make solid contact. With men on, it doesn't take a HR to drive them in. A nice fly ball will do it too most times. But that uppercut mashing swing Brandon throws up there, he hits over the ball and grounds out a bunch. I'd love it if eventually Dusty would realize this. Breaking up the lefties is all fine and good (I personally don't really think it's needed, but whatever, I really don't care either way), but it's the mindset of the "cleanup role" that's gotten into Brandon's head. It's time for a change.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Turn Off Ads?