Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... Homer Bailey. Trade Arroyo?

So... Homer Bailey. Trade Arroyo?

So, if Homer has another dominant start tonight, do you start looking for a trading partner for Arroyo? The Reds could use a RH bat, and pitching will always command a premium. Do you feel comfortable with a rotation of Harang, Cueto, Volquez, Owings, and Homer from here on out if Homer truly appears to have turned the corner?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So... Homer Bailey. Trade Arroyo?

I think we dont do anything until after the all star break with either of them.

Votto = MVP

I'm not so sure yet. I'm riding the fence on this decision. While I like the idea of getting a solid RH bat out of Arroyo, I'm afraid Arroyo won't be enough to get a solid RH bat. If we have to throw in too many prospects or just one or two of our big prospects, I'd probably wait it out and see who's available mid-summer when teams fall out of contention. We've proven we can win with this offense, but a solid RH bat will put us in contention. If we can stay within striking distance until the trades start happening, then I'd pull the trigger. But if we start to slip before then, I'm not confident that Walt and Co. will start trying to make moves since it always seems we're building up for "next season".
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Votto = MVP

Not to mention, Arroyo might be tough to move because of his ridiculous contract situation. He's due $11 mil next season. Not sure teams will be willing to take on that much of a salary for a streaky, 32 yr old pitcher with carpal tunnel issues.

If Homer is fixed and truly a major league pitcher now, trading Arroyo, in theory, makes sense but realistically it won't happen. His value, and by value I mean age/upside+production+contract is not super and I don't see him netting us the type of RH bat we need to fix this offense.

I think his value to us as an innings eating starter is greater than what we could get in a trade for him.

Quote Originally Posted by WILD THING View Post
    Not to mention, Arroyo might be tough to move because of his ridiculous contract situation. He's due $11 mil next season. Not sure teams will be willing to take on that much of a salary for a streaky, 32 yr old pitcher with carpal tunnel issues.
    Who has never missed a start and is all but guaranteed to give you 200+ innings a year? Yeah, I think there would be plenty of teams interested in that. $11M is not much for SP's these days

Votto = MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Who has never missed a start and is all but guaranteed to give you 200+ innings a year? Yeah, I think there would be plenty of teams interested in that. $11M is not much for SP's these days
    Good point, but I feel like to get anything valuable for Arroyo we may have to package him with some players we're not necessarily in the position to lose.

The Mets would take Arroyo. In about a millisecond.

Arroyo definitely has some value. Anyone who doesn't think so is crazy even after his last start. He started terrible last year and he ended up great. Arroyo is better than Joe freaking Blanton and the Phillies gave up a lot for his value.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The Mets would take Arroyo. In about a millisecond.
    What kind of prospects do they have? That are realistic at least...

I came into this season expecting Bronson to be a Met by year-end.

No idea. But you could probably replenish the lower system with some arms if done right.

Agreed. We seem to have (quickly) forgotten how important decent starting pitching can be. Arroyo's an ideal target for some teams-- he throws a ton of innings, he's never hurt, and he keeps you in almost all your games. He's tied for seventh in the majors in quality starts over the past five years. That in itself is worth a lot of offense.

Add a prospect or a reliever to Arroyo and you're looking at a pretty substantial deal.

And I'd be looking right now at deals involving both Bailey and Arroyo. (Not in the same deal, of course.) Whichever gets me the best bat is probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Agreed. We seem to have (quickly) forgotten how important decent starting pitching can be. Arroyo's an ideal target for some teams-- he throws a ton of innings, he's never hurt, and he keeps you in almost all your games. He's tied for seventh in the majors in quality starts over the past five years. That in itself is worth a lot of offense.

Add a prospect or a reliever to Arroyo and you're looking at a pretty substantial deal.

And I'd be looking right now at deals involving both Bailey and Arroyo. (Not in the same deal, of course.) Whichever gets me the best bat is probably gone.
    It's a no-brainer... You keep the younger, cheaper, could possibly develop into a top of the rotation type

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    What kind of prospects do they have? That are realistic at least...

I came into this season expecting Bronson to be a Met by year-end.
    Reds would have to tie a prospect to the deal (francisco?), but Fernando Martinez would have me licking my chops.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Resident PED Expert

The Mets would and my guess so would the Yankees. But the Mets really dont have the type of impact bat the Reds need and while the Yankees do I doubt they would part with anything above Melky Caberera. Which isnt what we need. I still say Texas, Oakland, Colorado or Cleveland is our best dance partners. All would want young talent but we seem to have some at the mid to upper levels to share. Have a pick-em package of say Dickerson, Roenicke, Fisher, Bray, Maloney, Lecure, Cozart, Valakia, Stubbs, Tatum, Dorn and maybe an Owings. 2 pitchers and a postion player type deal and go get a Holiday, Hawpe, Andrew Jones or a DeRosa.

Each player could make this team anywhere from 8 to 15 wins better over our current situaton. None of the kids in the minors will give us that many wins this year or probaly next.

Oh BTW... I know some of you were huge Nelson Cruz fans like me and clamored for him in the offseason I felt he was the perfect cheap young bat for LF...

He is batting .295 with an OBP of .348 slugging .543 for an OPS of .891...

With 7 HR and 20 RBI's to boot... How nice would he have looked snuggled in between Votto and Bruce?

Turn Off Ads?