Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would a home sweep of the Cards mean?

What would a home sweep of the Cards mean?

Its still very early in the season but my expectations for the Reds have gone up for this season.I believe that we are a playoff contender now without a doubt.

That being said I was very worried about the Reds having a poor showing against the first place Cardinals at home.The crowds have been very small and when they have shown up the team has struggled.I figured that todays game would draw pretty well with the promotion going on and our guys facing off against numero uno in the division.It did look as if it was a full house and it looked full until the last out of the game.The fans that made it to tonights game was thoroughly entertained and got their full moneys worth.

The first two games are in the book(both wins for the good guys)and to the team I'm sure that behind closed doors win or loose on Mothers Day they will consider this a successful series.To the people that spend the money to go tomorrow this will be so much more.Its a chance to go to a game that really means something(i know they all do)and to get excited and cheer for their team to win a game that will get a lot of people around the baseball world talking.It might be a little bit of a stretch to say that the atmosphere could be almost playoff like but I think it will be.Its a great opportunity to win some fans back.

Two out of three is great but a sweep at home against the first place Cards could be priceless.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-10-2009 at 01:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would a home sweep of the Cards mean?

A sweep will put them on the radar. And hopefully help draw some fans.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Let's hope Volquez has his good stuff again. He's been sharp as of late, and a sweep against the Cards would be SRS BSNS.

It would mean the Reds are a half game out of first with 131 games left to play.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    It would mean the Reds are a half game out of first with 131 games left to play.
    Thats true.131 games is a ton of games and the standing count for nothing right now.My point is that its a chance for the team to show the fans early in the season what they are all about and to give them a reason that could be cemented in their brains to keep showing up.Sure if the Reds start to fall apart people will forget about a early season sweep and won't show up.On the other hand the Reds could continue to do well on the road and stay somewhat close and the fans still might not show up.Tomorrow could be a signature win that would carry a lot of weight with the fans.

There's no doubt it could mean a psychological boost for both the team and the fans but there's a looooong way to go until the playoffs. There have been many Reds teams that did well the first half of the season only to break down down the stretch. I'll pull for them no matter their record and I won't put too much stock in any record in May.

I remember those seasons as well.Seems like there was a few of them.I know that its easy to have the mind set that your just waiting for it to happen again.I'm trying to choose to just enjoy it while it last and hoping that it last the entire season.This is also a very different team and organization then what we had when things have fell apart in the past.So I have much more hope that this team is a real winner and not just a mirage.

A sweep would be great, but the publicity may not be as great as we may think.....What good can it do? The only thing I see coming out of more press is the nervousness of our young roster increasing. Don't get me wrong a win is never a bad thing, but I hope we can stay "under the radar" for a while and get out in front of the division by the All-Star Break.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

I think it would solidify the idea that our pitching staff can hang with the elite hitters in the league and that we have a very fine group of young players. It seems like they pick each other up all the time. Very good chemistry happening. Errors will happen, but as long as they pick themselves back up like they have been good things will happen. I think they need to call up Gomes send down McDonald and the clubhouse swagger will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    A sweep would be great, but the publicity may not be as great as we may think.....What good can it do? The only thing I see coming out of more press is the nervousness of our young roster increasing. Don't get me wrong a win is never a bad thing, but I hope we can stay "under the radar" for a while and get out in front of the division by the All-Star Break.
    Wow!

I knew that there would be a few people that disagreed with me about the importance of a sweep but I didn't expect someone to actually say that it could be a bad thing.

Every game is huge.

The Cards are near the top in hitting and pitching, and the Reds are b*&^h slapping them!

I am thoroughly enjoying this.

The Cards can cry all they want about not having Ankiel. Votto hasn't played an inning in this series yet and we're kicking their butt. I love it. I hope Volquez brings it tomorrow.

We currently have the 7th best winning percentage in baseball.

The boxscore listed the attendance as 40,651. Nice.

Pujols is 0-8 in the series. He has failed to reach base in either game. He had reached base safely in all of the first 28 games. Sweet.

And don't look now, but the Reds, who were for a long time in last place in the NL in team batting average are currently up to 9th after tonight's game with a team .254 batting average. Better than the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Giants, D-backs, Padres, and Marlins. People need to remember that the Reds have faced some of the toughest pitching in the NL so far to date. Although the Pirates, Cards, and Astros team e.r.a.'s are getting worse and the Reds are climbing and staying around the top (currently back to 2nd in the NL behind the Dodgers).

Nick Masset so far this season - 12 IP, 4 hits allowed, 2 ER, 8 walks, 10 K's.

Larussa is probably wishing he'd jumped ship and gone with Walt to the Reds about now after seeing us in person the last 2 days.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 05-10-2009 at 02:32 AM.

A win tomorrow with a Milwaukee loss puts the Reds in first place in the wild card race!
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I mean I hope with a sweep we can achieve some relevance or presedence on baseball tonight or ESPN in general for cryin out loud.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

A series sweep against a divisional opponent is outstanding no matter what kind of random twist anyone wants to lay on it. The fact that it is the Cards makes a statement. That statement is "Take your shiny record and go the **** home, St. Louie. This is our house."

Sweeping series does not induce anxiety due to the pressures associated with more press. It builds confidence, spirit, and swagger which goes a hell of a long way with a young team. (See: Rays, Tampa.)

Not to mention it adds three games to the win column and three losses to the cards. Gaining three games in three days on the frontrunner is, uh, awesome.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Turn Off Ads?