Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Todd Frazier struggling?

Re: Todd Frazier struggling?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Those are definitely impressive numbers, so don't take this the wrong way... but that's some very low Isolated Discipline right there. Less than 30 points in OBP from walks - that has to improve big time. It's good that he's carrying a high average, and if he's still cutting down on the strikeouts that will help him to do that. But I definitely do hope those walks come up.
    I continue to think there is too much focus on JF's walk rate and not enough focus on the frequency with which he makes solid contact hitting the ball for power. For a guy with 61 extra base hits, his K rate (21.7 percent of official at bats this year) is relatively low.

Again, the issue isn't whether he makes contact like Ichiro. The question is how often JF makes solid, hard contact resulting often in extra base hits as compared with other long ball hitters.

This is where I think he excels and I continue to think he will be a factor in major league baseball.

As GOYA says, however, I'm not sure what position he can play at the big league level. That's my concern, not his offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I continue to think there is too much focus on JF's walk rate and not enough focus on the frequency with which he makes solid contact hitting the ball for power. For a guy with 61 extra base hits, his K rate (21.7 percent of official at bats this year) is relatively low.

Again, the issue isn't whether he makes contact like Ichiro. The question is how often JF makes solid, hard contact resulting often in extra base hits as compared with other long ball hitters.

This is where I think he excels and I continue to think he will be a factor in major league baseball.

As GOYA says, however, I'm not sure what position he can play at the big league level. That's my concern, not his offense.
    I'm not someone that gets wrapped up in walks alone. I think Doubleday put a bat in players' hands for a reason - with the purpose of swinging it. Walks are better than outs, but they're also less than hits. So I certainly don't find much disagreement here.

My take is not whether these rates would be fantastic in the majors - it's whether they will translate to the majors effectively without a better ability to draw a walk. You're absolutely right... if he continues to hit the ball hard in the majors as often as he is right now, the only issue should be his defense. But I'm not sure how well these abilities will carry over without showing he's patient enough to lay off a slider off the corner in lieu of not getting something to hit solidly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    But I'm not sure how well these abilities will carry over without showing he's patient enough to lay off a slider off the corner in lieu of not getting something to hit solidly.
    I think you have isolated the issue and only the future will tell. IMO, the Reds now have three big time offensive prospects in Alonso, Frazier and Francisco, in the high minor leagues. I know the stats being used to measure their likely success, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think you have isolated the issue and only the future will tell. IMO, the Reds now have three big time offensive prospects in Alonso, Frazier and Francisco, in the high minor leagues. I know the stats being used to measure their likely success, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Absolutely. And quite honestly, Francisco might have the highest ceiling offensively of all three. He's certainly shown the most 'flash' thus far.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I haven't seen him enough to really make a good call but his bat looks good while his defense could stand some improvement.
    That was about Frazier but the same thing applies to Cisco. In fact, I'd put them about even defensively.

Anybody have a good comp (stat-wise) for JF. If the guy plays 2 more years in triple A, is that enough time for him to put together a career of substance?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Anybody have a good comp (stat-wise) for JF. If the guy plays 2 more years in triple A, is that enough time for him to put together a career of substance?
    One more year tops. Probably not even that. His defense is a bit weak but I don't know how much more consistent he's going to get. It's definitely not Encarnacion bad from the little I've seen and he has made some very nice plays. He has an accurate rifle arm but has trouble getting the ball in his hand sometimes. Let Sweet work with him a bit and we'll see.

I don't like comps anyway but it's too soon to make one now. I think he's still improving at the plate. I've seen him make an adjustment to fill a hole in his swing already. He's fouling off pitches he used to swing through. But the sample size is tiny so don't put too much weight in that. He looks like he's going to be very good though. It's hard not to say that with his crazy high numbers at Louisville. Of course, Rosales had crazy high numbers too.

For those of you who haven't seen either Francisco or Frazier, their batting stances are slightly strange. It came to me yesterday, in watching the last game of the year, who they remind me of.

Francisco keeps his hands really tight against his body and high up next to his chin. His bat wags aggressively, then dives toward the pitch. He looks like David Ortiz, complete with the long swing, though his loop after impact is not as pronounced. This makes his swing long, and, as such, he's susceptible to offspeed stuff. (Too, on another note, Francisco's D at the hot corner is luke warm at best. He screwed up a double play and made NO effort on balls hit near him. Three times he watched ground balls find OF grass rather than dive. I'm guessing Sweet said for them to be careful before the game, though, as Frazier also made a point of not diving for a ball.)

Frazier's swing is much weirder. He jelly legs his front knee as the pitcher is throwing the ball. The effect while watching makes it seem as if he's almost afraid of the ball, but it's nothing more than a timing mechanism. The bat is quick and the swing compact with very little loop or loft. Defensively, he's not bad around the bag at 2B, but made an error-- which Francisco deserved--in trying to turn a double play. His range isn't nearly as good as Phillips, but it looks to be major league average and his glove and arm look better than most at second.

Dorn's swing is still better than either touted prospect mechanically. Short, compact, and viscous-- whoever taught him that swing knew what he was doing. I'm wondering if that's a Cal State Fullerton thing.

Turn Off Ads?