Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: Reds vs Cards 5/10/09

Re: JHJ

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Folks the Reds gave up 8 runs. Laying the blame for todays loss entirely on JHJ is not appropriate.
    I'm not sure I would say "not appropriate," but yeah, eight runs and a bunch of miscues certainly bear more responsibility than one botched AB.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds vs Cards 5/10/09

Folks the Reds gave up 8 runs. Laying the blame for todays loss entirely on JHJ is not appropriate.
    It was a really awful AB by Hairston, but this post is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Key play in the last inning is Hairston's failure to sacrifice--end of story. He gets the bunt down, they have to either pitch to Bruce with one out and men on second and third or walk Bruce, face BP and hope he hits into a BP. It's pretty certain they'd do the latter so you get BP to tie or win with 3 on and 1 out rather than Janish with 2 outs.
    Notice my post does nothing to blame Hairston for the loss. I'd never do that because no baseball game is ever lost or won on one play. But I was responding to the posts, on the game thread and throughout ORG, about the roster shortage. Roster shortage had little or nothing to do with the loss. The Reds' play did.

Re: JHJ

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Amen.

High five!

Folks, the Reds did a lot of things wrong yesterday. The blame falls equally on every missed opportunity to score more runs than the opponent.

The blame falls equally on every missed opportunity to score more runs than the opponent.
    Let's not forget run prevention, if we're going all macro here.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Folks, the Reds did a lot of things wrong yesterday. The blame falls equally on every missed opportunity to score more runs than the opponent.
    Yes.
    That was probably the most exciting losing game I listened to in years.
    Great game by the Reds, despite a few mistakes.
    This team is a lot more pleasant to listen to this year. Great job to take 2 out of 3 from the Cards and to stage that miracle comeback (even if it did come up short).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It was a good game and we finally saw some offense. It's unfortunate that Volquez went back to his old habits today. He looks like the pitcher with "potential" that pitched for Texas every other start (yes, that's an exaggeration, but close). I wonder what's going on there? Allowing 7 runs in 6 innings with 8 walks is not like the Volquez we saw last year.
    Eight walks? Volquez walked three batters, not eight. And two of them came in the 7th inning when he seemed to be tiring. Volquez pitched much better than his final line indicated. Taveras killed him in the third inning with his bad defense in CF.

I agree with FCB. Cordero's walk to Thurston was equally as frustrating as Hairston's atbat in the 10th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Eight walks? Volquez walked three batters, not eight. And two of them came in the 7th inning when he seemed to be tiring.
    Maybe he was accidentally looking at strikeouts instead of walks

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Maybe he was accidentally looking at strikeouts instead of walks
    Nope, ESPN had it wrong when I looked at it. They had the K's and BB's backwards. I should have known better.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?