Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Send McDonald Down

Send McDonald Down

I've seen enough from this guy. He might be a nice guy, but he brings nothing to the table. I'd rather have Micah Owings pinch-hitting at this point, and with Dickerson on the roster his glove is redundant. He's nothing more than Norris Hopper redux.

Bring up Johnny Gomes.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Send McDonald Down

i agree.. i watched him swing at 3 pitches that were not strikes.. time to get Gomes up here!!

Prediction:

Down: McDonald
    Up: Hopper

I'd rather have Micah Owings pinch-hitting at this point
    foreshadowing...

Senor Votto

Bring up Hopper or Gomes already

I think the Reds need to focus on McDonald, Dickerson, Burton, and Herrera. Some of them might need some AAA time right about now. Burton would certainly come back but he may need some time to get his stuff working.

Candidates at AAA are Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs, Roenicke, Fisher, Viola.

In Dickerson's case, Reds would need a lefty bat to replace him. Not sure there is an available candidate.

I think Danny Ray has been 'OK'. As I posted in the game thread, he has to throw more strikes. It's like any other pitcher---they have to trust their stuff. Also, as I noted in the game thread, I think that the umpires have to get an idea of what he throws as well. DRH throws stuff that a lot of current MLB umps haven't seen before or, if they have, it's been a long time. I'm thinking that some of them haven't seen someone throw this 'hard' since they umped American Legion ball. The umps as well as the players need an adjustment period to deal with someone that throws stuff that almost never see in MLB.

Rem

The 40-man is currently full. In order to promote Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs or Viola, someone will need to be waived. There are no clearcut choices -- McDonald himself looks like the most redundant to me (with Hopper, Stubbs, Heisey all behind him).

Hopper?

Ugh. We already have Traveras, why do we need Hopper? If you're replacing McDonald, you'd better bring up a power bat and Hopper ain't no power bat. We already have enough Judy hitters to fill two teams.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the Reds need to focus on McDonald, Dickerson, Burton, and Herrera. Some of them might need some AAA time right about now. Burton would certainly come back but he may need some time to get his stuff working.

Candidates at AAA are Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs, Roenicke, Fisher, Viola.

In Dickerson's case, Reds would need a lefty bat to replace him. Not sure there is an available candidate.
    I'd hang on to Dickerson nothing better to replace him with and we still need the speed, defense, plate discipline with some pop on the bench. Herrera and McDonald need to go, McDonald to a whole other organization. Burton has to be hurt and I bet they now know it. Couple all that with Gonzo and we could have 3-4 new faces for Zona' trip.

Gonzo to DL, bring Castillo
    Burton to DL, bring up Fisher
    Herrera down bring up Manuel
    McDonald outright release bring up Gomes putting him on the 40 man (although I'd bet Hopper would be the one they bring up as if we don't have enough guys lacking power)

Send Heisey to AAA
    Send Yonder to AA

Need to find a way to slip Juan Francisco thru waivers and get him off the 40 man while we still can. Or make him part of a package to the Rockies for Matt Murton. That way we get a decent RH bat for the bench who can also play decent defense.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I think Danny Ray has been 'OK'. As I posted in the game thread, he has to throw more strikes. It's like any other pitcher---they have to trust their stuff. Also, as I noted in the game thread, I think that the umpires have to get an idea of what he throws as well. DRH throws stuff that a lot of current MLB umps haven't seen before or, if they have, it's been a long time. I'm thinking that some of them haven't seen someone throw this 'hard' since they umped American Legion ball. The umps as well as the players need an adjustment period to deal with someone that throws stuff that almost never see in MLB.

Rem
    I don't think DRH has a problem with trusting his stuff, I think he barely throws hard enough to get it to the plate, especially with his lack of height costing him leverage. He has to basically pitch up hill with a lack of velocity.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd hang on to Dickerson nothing better to replace him with and we still need the speed, defense, plate discipline with some pop on the bench. Herrera and McDonald need to go, McDonald to a whole other organization. Burton has to be hurt and I bet they now know it. Couple all that with Gonzo and we could have 3-4 new faces for Zona' trip.

Gonzo to DL, bring Castillo
    Burton to DL, bring up Fisher
    Herrera down bring up Manuel
    McDonald outright release bring up Gomes putting him on the 40 man (although I'd bet Hopper would be the one they bring up as if we don't have enough guys lacking power)

Send Heisey to AAA
    Send Yonder to AA

Need to find a way to slip Juan Francisco thru waivers and get him off the 40 man while we still can. Or make him part of a package to the Rockies for Matt Murton. That way we get a decent RH bat for the bench who can also play decent defense.
    You'll never slip Francisco through waivers. He's had a rough start at AA, still he's 21, the youngest guy on his team, and is showing big power even with the lack of walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't think DRH has a problem with trusting his stuff, I think he barely throws hard enough to get it to the plate, especially with his lack of height costing him leverage. He has to basically pitch up hill with a lack of velocity.
    But that's exactly the point, he throws stuff that MLB hitters haven't seen before (at least not past high school). He's different, he's quirky with a screwball, he's tought to pick up because of his short stature.

To me, the difference between DRH in ST, when he clearly won a job, and now, is that he isn't throwing as many strikes.

DRH is not a guy that should be run out there to face a lineup twice through the order. But, to put him in to face 3-6 batters in between Volques/Cueto and Burton/Cordero just totally disrupts the hitter's timing if he throws the ball over the plate.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    But that's exactly the point, he throws stuff that MLB hitters haven't seen before (at least not past high school). He's different, he's quirky with a screwball, he's tought to pick up because of his short stature.

To me, the difference between DRH in ST, when he clearly won a job, and now, is that he isn't throwing as many strikes.

DRH is not a guy that should be run out there to face a lineup twice through the order. But, to put him in to face 3-6 batters in between Volques/Cueto and Burton/Cordero just totally disrupts the hitter's timing if he throws the ball over the plate.

Rem
    I agree with all that but he seems to be having a problem getting the ball to the plate which translates into runs.

However right now if Burton is hurt I wouldn't be opposed to giving him thru the WC trip to straighten himself out.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You'll never slip Francisco through waivers. He's had a rough start at AA, still he's 21, the youngest guy on his team, and is showing big power even with the lack of walks.
    I know was just wishful thinking.....

I'd still deal him though never have been a fan of his, don't think his value will ever get any higher.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?