Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hairston AB in the 10th Was Terrible

Hairston AB in the 10th Was Terrible

He fouled off his first bunt attempt, bunted at a pitch in the dirt for strike 2, and then faked a bunt and swung through another pitch out of the strike zone for strike 3.

There is no reason to fake the bunt when you have two strikes. There's no way you're really going to try it and I'm afraid he just crossed himself up with that move. All of this with two on and no out. That was a back breaker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hairston AB in the 10th Was Terrible

ya...its a tough pill to swallow. i would probably be more upset, but he did hit a homer that helped us even get into extras...but yea..if we're gonna play small ball you have to get those bunts down

He also had a big hit in the 9th in case you dont remember that. If it were not for him he would not even of had that ab

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon4MVP View Post
    He also had a big hit in the 9th in case you dont remember that. If it were not for him he would not even of had that ab
    Fair point, but that doesn't make that disaster of an AB in the 10th any better.

Gary Redus Ruled

Major Leaguers that cant bunt annoy me...how the hell do you get to that level without knowing how to bunt? So he hit the Homerun..that was good he did a great job. He then blew the bunt in the 10th...he did not do his job. For gods sake the homer is the hard part..lay down a freaking bunt!
    Hoping for another Reds October

I agree all the shenanigans in his AB were overly distracting. So much faking from the first pitch to the last pitch. Why make an already critical plate appearance even more complicated by mixing in a bunch of jukes?

The bunt attempt at the ball in the dirt was just a poor read on his part. Yes his execution failed him in that AB but I think he would have fared better if he would have just concentrated on the actual task at hand and not thought about the fakes. I don't know if that was his own doing or if those were ordered in from the dugout. But no doubt that at bat sucked the mounting winds right out of the Reds proverbial sails.

I said mounting. Huh huh.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Votto = MVP

I can understand certain types of guys not really knowing how to bunt simply because they've never been asked to do so (30+ HR guys). However, that's still no excuse. The fact that JHJ isn't a big power guy (I know he's hit a big HR) makes it even more frustrating that he can't put down a bunt, especially in that crucial of a situation. A bunt that moves the runners over would have meant the tying run by Bruce's fly ball. So instead of a sac-fly for the tying run, Bruce's fly ball was just an out that didn't allow the runners to advance and put two outs on the board.

Frustrating
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

especially since its a trend..we couldnt bunt last year. i understand it can be tough, especially with closers who are throwing mid 90 fastballs with movement on them. but its something you really gotta work on in spring training..just have coco throw some in there.

Dude Rock

I was kind of hoping they'd have him swing away when the first and third basemen were so far in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    I was kind of hoping they'd have him swing away when the first and third basemen were so far in.
    me too!
    reds record when i attend in '09' 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by JR+Rose=G.O.A.T View Post
    me too!
    Yea, I didn't really want him to bunt the runners over, because they wouldve intentionally walked Bruce to set up the double play, and a force at any base. It was a tough loss today, but I love the way they played St. Louis, they didn't look overmatched in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by WILD THING View Post
    I can understand certain types of guys not really knowing how to bunt simply because they've never been asked to do so (30+ HR guys). However, that's still no excuse. The fact that JHJ isn't a big power guy (I know he's hit a big HR) makes it even more frustrating that he can't put down a bunt, especially in that crucial of a situation. A bunt that moves the runners over would have meant the tying run by Bruce's fly ball. So instead of a sac-fly for the tying run, Bruce's fly ball was just an out that didn't allow the runners to advance and put two outs on the board.

Frustrating
    Hairston is normally a good bunter.

He was hyped up and being too fancy. He just screwed up.

Its unfortunate i know. But still a great game. Everybody cant be perfect all the time.

This AB was inexcusable (the HR does not make up for this).

The Reds have been stringing losing seasons together on plays like this. Getting a bunt down is fundamental and should not be tough for a position player, especially of Hairston's caliber seeing as how HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE BUNTING!

This was horrendous and is why we've lost so many games this last few years. Boneheaded mistakes and poor defense. I swear all this team needs from time to time is a slap in the face just to give them some focus.

Turn Off Ads?