Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty, PLEASE

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Dusty, PLEASE

If you read this board, and I know you do, TAKE BRANDON PHILLIPS OUT OF THE CLEANUP SPOT. Yesterday. Enough is freaking enough. He adds NOTHING there. I know there are a lot of things that managers do - a lot of decisions they make - that have positive and negative consequences and most of the time we're simply second-guessing but there is no tangible, measurable benefit to having him there, even against lefties. In fact, statistics can prove how worthless he is hitting cleanup. He needs to be hitting 6th/7th/8th right now until he demonstrates some semblance of plate discipline and THEN we can think about moving him up the order, but he still is not a cleanup hitter.

Please, Dusty. Please.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Votto = MVP

Re: Dusty, PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    If you read this board, and I know you do, TAKE BRANDON PHILLIPS OUT OF THE CLEANUP SPOT. Yesterday. Enough is freaking enough. He adds NOTHING there. I know there are a lot of things that managers do - a lot of decisions they make - that have positive and negative consequences and most of the time we're simply second-guessing but there is no tangible, measurable benefit to having him there, even against lefties. In fact, statistics can prove how worthless he is hitting cleanup. He needs to be hitting 6th/7th/8th right now until he demonstrates some semblance of plate discipline and THEN we can think about moving him up the order, but he still is not a cleanup hitter.

Please, Dusty. Please.
    +1. I respect Dusty, but he's really making it hard to stand up for him when he refuses to pull Phillips out of the 4-spot.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Bruce should be the guy at 4. Its time to make the switch for good.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    Bruce should be the guy at 4. Its time to make the switch for good.
    I'd be fine with The Jay Bruce at 4 against righties and Hernandigan at 4 vs lefties. Anyone But Brandon. ABB. Rhymes with OPP, and has every bit as much panache.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Votto = MVP

Bronson for the 4-hole! :
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Also, don't pinch-hit McDonald for Nix, when McDonald is .090 points worse than Nix. I know you see other managers do it, and want to fit in, but righty-lefty does not trump all things in baseball. That cost us anywhere from 0-3 runs.

Also, get a pulse for your starting pitcher. It's okay to allow your relievers a full, clean inning all to themselves. Volquez was over 90 pitches yesterday, and, although he was pitching pretty good, had given up lots of hard-hit balls. That one inning cost us two runs, and thus, the game.

Lastly, why is Hairston bunting in the 10th? I understand the concept of the bunt, but how about being flexible, and rolling with the hot bat? He already had two hits on the day, and had just hit a home run in his previous AB. If you let him swing away, maybe he laces a gapper, and the Reds sweep. If he grounds into a DP, oh well. Bruce would still be up with a runner on 3rd. I know Hairston should have gotten the bunt down, but he shouldn't have been asked to do it. Think outside the box. This cost us anywhere from 0-3 runs, also.

Dusty makes me want to pull my hair out at times, but he has been better than the last few chaps at the helm. I'll give him that.

He did make a couple of smart moves yesterday, as well - the double-switch to get Votto in the game was a nicely timed move that definitely paid a lot of dividends. And calling on Owings at the perfect time was beautiful.

Sorry for the day-late rant, but I was at the game yesterday, and could not find the game thread from yesterday.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Right now, if you're going L-R-L 3-4-5, Ramon Hernandez is the only option for #4.

Bruce should probably be #4 if you don't follow that L-R-L crazy logic.

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    Lastly, why is Hairston bunting in the 10th?
    Is that a serious question? I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely the right call to bunt in that situation. I know baseball is a second-guesser's wet dream, but I can't fault Dusty at all for that call. The fault lies with Hairston failing to realize the situation. He was trying to drag bunt instead of giving himself up.

"If he grounds into a DP, oh well" <--------- I know you wouldn't have been saying that had it actually happened. And a runner on third with two outs is way different and much more difficult to get a score on than runners on second and third with one out.

On the rest of your points, I don't disagree with any of them.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 05-12-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Is that a serious question? I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely the right call to bunt in that situation. I know baseball is a second-guesser's wet dream, but I can't fault Dusty at all for that call. The fault lies with Hairston failing to realize the situation. He was trying to drag bunt instead of giving himself up.

"If he grounds into a DP, oh well" <--------- I know you wouldn't have been saying that had it actually happened. And a runner on third with two outs is way different and much more difficult to get a score on than runners on second and third with one out.

On the rest of your points, I don't disagree with any of them.
    I liked the bunt call as well. You have a quick vet, that can bunt. With the bunt you put pressure on the defense. You make them make the play. It was the right call.

Walt, if you're listening... We need a RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTER so Dusty can move Brandon Phillips down in the order...

Brandon is hitting Great and Driving in Runs but if this team would have a legit Right Handed Cleanup Hitter... This Line Up would be even more Dangerous...

Turn Off Ads?